League 2: Torquay United vs Plymouth Argyle

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Plymouth Gull

League 2: Torquay United vs Plymouth Argyle

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Four weeks ago, after our battering we received at Roots Hall, I felt that this weekend would be an early relegation battle. We were in a pickle on the field, while Argyle seemed to be picking up on the field, despite their then off-field worries. How times change. Since that drubbing at Southend, we've played 4, won 4, scored 12, and conceded a single goal, Jordan Bowery's header at Chesterfield last week. 3 consecutive clean sheets in the league. The Greens, however, seem to have stumbled to a new low. Off field problems have been sorted with the arrival of new Chairman James Brent. On the field, however, things haven't improved. 2 defeats, including a 5-1 hammering at Oxford, and a draw at home to Morecambe have been the results in the league, but last weeks FA Cup game against Stourbridge, who play in Tier 7 (whatever league that is), were just minutes away from picking up a famous victory at Home Park. A late equaliser saved the Greens blushes on the day, but they finished with 9 men as they seemingly lost their heads near the end. Onto this weekend then, and it's the first league meeting between the sides for a decade. The last meeting, Boxing Day 2001, ended 2-2 at Home Park. A fact brought up to me the other day was that we haven't beaten Argyle since 1972 - what better chance to end that barren spell than this weekend!

GULLS NEWS.

No injuries, from what I believe. Billy Bodin returns from International Duty, Ian Morris is back but I don't think he was match fit last week and so I would be surprised to see him start on Saturday. There are no suspension worries.

GREENS NEWS.

Well, they've loaned striker Craig Sutherland from Blackpool this week, and he goes straight into their side for Saturday, probably alongside Warren Feeney. Robbie Williams and Conor Hourihane are both suspended due to red cards last week, while Carl Fletcher will be restricted to the touchline as he has 5 yellow cards this season.

THE OPPOSITION.

Right then, Carl Fletcher is in his first management job, since taking the reins after Peter Reid left. Personally I was surprised as I thought they'd go for someone more experienced, and I can't really see Fletcher doing anything fantastic down there. Still, he'll sure get the players fired up for this one and I'll be very interested to see how they take to the field.

On the field, in goal they have a decent pair of keepers, I think. Club legend Romain Larrieu has been there for years, and he has been playing a part this year. Larrieu, joined from Valence in 2000, has made nearly 300 appearances for Argyle over the years. He has been out on loan twice, in 2007, to Gillingham and Yeovil, making 20 appearances in the two spells. His rival is former Barnet keeper Jake Cole, who was one of the better keepers in the division last season. He surprised me (and probably a few others) by joining Argyle in the summer, but they are a big club at this level so the lure of that helped sway the decision (more than money by the looks of things!)

In defence, at right back we'll likely see Paul Bignot, on loan from Blackpool. He joined about a fortnight ago, proving to be the first signing since the takeover was completed. On the other side, it would normally be Robbie Williams, but as he is out, it will probably be Onismor Bhasera. He has been at Argyle for two seasons, making over 40 appearances. The Zimbabwe International has made 15 caps for his country. In the middle, youngster Curtis Nelson could make an appearance, alongside Ladjie Soukouna. The youngsters, 18 and 20 respectively could find it very difficult against Rene Howe on Saturday. Other options in defence include loanee Ben Gibson, from Middlesborough, and Durrell Berry.

In the midfield, then, in the middle will be captain Simon Walton. His partner will be either youngster Jordan Copp, or Luke Young. Both are youngsters from the Plymouth youth system, in their first full season. On the wings it'll probably be Will Atkinson, on loan from Hull, and Luke Daley, who came through the ranks at Norwich.

Finally, upfront is Warren Feeney. The journeyman Northern Irish striker has been around a few places, notably Bournemouth, Stockport and Luton. He joined the Greens in 2011. Other options upfront are Matt Lecointe, Jared Sims and Isaac Vassell, all of whom are youngsters. The signing of Craig Sutherland boosts their weak-looking front line for the weekend.

HOW THEY LINED UP.

The line up from the 3-3 draw with Stourbridge is below:

Larrieu

Bignot
Nelson
Williams (red card)
Bhasera

Fletcher
Walton
Hourihane (red card)

Atkinson
Feeney
Lecointe

Subs: Walgon, Berry, Gibson, Young, Copp, Sims, Vassell.

LAST TIME AT PLAINMOOR.

8th September 2001:-

Torquay (0) 0
Plymouth (0) 1 (Friio 58)

Att: 4217

REF WATCH.

JOCK WAUGH
Michael Cairns and Adam Nunn
Fourth Official : Simon Hooper

Mr Waugh is the man in the middle for this game. Having made the step up from non league to the league in the same year we returned (2009) he has done games in the Championship down to League 2. He hasn't been at Plainmoor since our 2-0 Playoff victory over Histon. That was the second time he officiated a game between ourselves and Histon, having done the enthralling 4-5 win at their place in 2007. Other Torquay games he has done were at Kettering (lost 2-1 - 08/09) and Burton (won 1-0 - 08/09).

PREDICTION.

We won't get a better opportunity to put a win over this lot and stop that 39 year rot.

2-0.

COYY!!
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

NickGull wrote:

LAST TIME AT PLAINMOOR.

8th September 2001:-

Torquay (0) 0
Plymouth (0) 1 (Friio 58)

Att: 4217
Interesting to note the attendance in that game, the last time we've played them at home, and the likely attendance tomorrow. Pretty much the same :no: Was that a league game though?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed it was a league game, GFH.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Nick, once again another fantastic job!

I cannot wait for this one! I'll be there, in the pop, near the away end, with the singers, buzzing! This will be my first time watching us play Argyle in a league game as well.

Prediction? 3-1 to the Gulls :)

COYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yep buzzin already for this match cant wait, will be joining the singers for this one, and asked my mates to aswell, many voices make big noise :clap:
Formerly known as forevertufc
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Awesome job Nick! Top lad!

The last time i watched us play Argyle was pre-season a few seasons ago, and i believe a certain Mr Tony Bedeau netted the winner for us on that occassion.

COME ON THE YELLOWS!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

yep can only see one winner here too. its got to be a convincing home win surely, a nailed on banker, the bookies certainly agree with typical prices being 8/13 for torquay win, i'm gonna plump for 2-0 howe and player of the season danny stevens, with 3789 watching
still keeping the faith
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

bixieupnorth wrote:yep can only see one winner here too. its got to be a convincing home win surely, a nailed on banker, the bookies certainly agree with typical prices being 8/13 for torquay win, i'm gonna plump for 2-0 howe and player of the season danny stevens, with 3789 watching
And there was me thinking he was the club mascot.. :)
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I am unable to get to this one, been drafted in by work and cant get out of it. Plus i could do with the money as its christmas next month. I will be there in spirit and hope you all do they guys proud in the stands and they do us proud on the pitch.

I am gutted to miss it, the one game i didnt want to miss but heyho thats life. I will be going to Home Park for the away game as i have to see one derby this season.

Anyways, i think we will scrape a win. 1-0 or something. I can see it being tight even if they are poor for the moment, derbys can cause shocks.

COYY
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:A fact brought up to me the other day was that we haven't beaten Argyle since 1972.

We won't get a better opportunity to put a win over this lot and stop that 29 year rot.

: 2011
= 39

Ariffmetic (like engleesh) weren't my best subject at skool. But as I was there at that game in 1972, I know it wasn't TWENTY NINE EFFIN YEARS AGO ! :nod: ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

And I've got an A-Level in Maths...

:Oops:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

NickGull wrote:And I've got an A-Level in Maths...

:Oops:

:lol:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

making the trip down for this on saturday, been looking forward to it since the fixtures were released.

only downside is i'll be in the family seats behind the goal, as i'll have the little lad with me, but hopefully see you boys for a beer before kick off.

i'm expecting goals in this one, got a feeling we won't keep a clean sheet, so going for 3-1
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Even though I can't go, I'm looking forward to following this online on Saturday. The state of Plymouth's squad - with 3 key players suspended - gives us the first real chance of victory for donkeys years. forgetting all the rivalry stuff, it is absolutely must win. Other teams have been using Plymouth as fodder, and if we fail to pick up 3 points we have effectively given easy points to some of our rivals.

Something to consider about the ref - I was at that Histon game which ended 5-4. It was possibly the best, most roller-coaster of a game I have ever seen, but I do recall a particularly erratic refeering performance. Allowed Histon to kick lumps out of our lads all through the first half, sent Darren Mullings off for what didn't look like too bad a challenge, gave 3 penalties and (finally) sent off a Histon player in stoppage time which led to Toddy's winning goal. Maybe things are better now, but that sort of performance could work for or against us. Argyle have a shocking disciplinary record, lets hope that causes them some problems.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Regiment wrote:................. but hopefully see you boys for a beer before kick off.

See you in Boots, Brady ;-)

I'm hoping to see plenty of goals and a good result for us :scarf: :scarf:
Dave