Torquay United v Cheltenham Town, Football League 2, 130911

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

A draw a fair result, I think. And in the light of Northampton's 3-0 victory at Wimbledon tonight, Torquay's draw against them on Saturday also looks to be a decent result. Still optimistic that the Gulls will have a much better season than anybody dared hope for last Spring.

And League Two generally seems to be providing some exciting games to watch, not that many 0-0 bore draws which always remind me of the film Alien 3 (In space, no-one can hear you snore....)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Gullscorer wrote:A draw a fair result, I think. And in the light of Northampton's 3-0 victory at Wimbledon tonight, Torquay's draw against them on Saturday also looks to be a decent result. Still optimistic that the Gulls will have a much better season than anybody dared hope for last Spring.

And League Two generally seems to be providing some exciting games to watch, not that many 0-0 bore draws which always remind me of the film Alien 3 (In space, no-one can hear you snore....)
or............in space no-one can hear you score! :bow: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i got them at 4/1, dortmund are hardly setting the bundesliga alight so far this season, and i hardly think i'm a mug, (this time!) as it was very very late screamer that stopped them getting a great away win, i also backed milan to draw at the camp nou, but unfortunately i combined that with rotherham and swindon, only £1 a pop so no loss
still keeping the faith
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bixieupnorth wrote:i got them at 4/1, and i hardly think i'm a mug, (this time!) as it was very very late screamer that stopped them getting a great away win, i also backed milan to draw at the camp nou, but unfortunately i combined that with rotherham and swindon, only £1 a pop so no loss

uhmm..... 8/ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Wow!

Absolutely clear why they managed to piss all over Crawley, Cheltenham Town are a very good side. They play some really nice football. Granted, their tackling needs some work but aside from that, they are a million miles ahead of the rubbish they were last year.
That said, we absolutely played our part in what was a very entertaining, if slightly frustrating match. No, it wasn't perfect, but then, this is L2.

A draw isn't the least fair result, but I don't think they could have had too many complaints if we had snatched a winner late on.

The referee was a little odd, preferring to book one of their for a silly 'throwing the ball away' incident rather than a number of their (we weren't entire fault free either) particularly late challenges.

In the interests of fairness, it must be said that Brian Saah did nothing wrong at all so far as I could see. Bodin, when he could get his foot on the ball, was different gravy, beat a man at will. Manse, as always, was immense (imManse, if you prefer). Sadly, Morris wasn't really up to it again, and Tai couldn't quite get the ball to stick, but aside from that, it was a pretty good all round performance and there were many fewer periods during which we were second best.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

Well my first game of the season, and my first since Ling took over. Was actually very impressed by our performance tonight. We looked very solid, good coming forward and scored two quality goals. Cheltenham were a good side, well organised and dangerous in attack. Olejnik should probably have done better with both of their goals, particularly the first where he was hesitant to come off his line and paid the price. Referee had a terrible game, wouldn't let the game flow and their number 7 should have been sent off in the first half. Crowd did their best but it was pretty small and not having one side of the ground certainly doesn't help the atmosphere.

Overall I thought we did well tonight. I don't think we will go up, but I certainly don't think we will be going down either.

Nicho's goal was an absolute thunderbolt, one of the best I've seen at Plainmoor. Good to see the players mobbing him too, good team spirit.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A match full of action was played tonight, with both teams wanting to get the full 3 points. But unfortunately from a neutral’s point of view the points were shared. We looked the strongest in the 1st half and in most of the 2nd but it was Cheltenham that made their chances count. However luckily we did come back strong after every goal and equalised twice in the game to put another point by our name in the League 2 table.

In the very early stages Nicholson, Atieno and Howe linked up very well, with some quality passing being made. O’Kane looked sloppy in the very early stages but Eunan soon go into the game. Joe Oastler and Chris Robertson were clearing the danger away with great ability.

However this passage of good play was dampened by an opening early goal by the visitors. Low (the Town midfielder) ran straight through the defence, the centre backs at fault, and slotted the ball home when the game was only 4 minutes old! 1-0

United did not sit back after that Cheltenham’s goal. Great play with O’Kane, Robertson and Oastler linking up fantastically well with Bodin who skilfully ran through the CTFC defence and scored with style! 1-1, two goals in two minutes!

After our equaliser we were on top for the majority of the remainder of the 1st half. Rene Howe, who had a great half, was a great option for the long ball. Bodin, Mansell and Atieno looked good when coming forward. Mansell slotted a pass into the path of Bodin who shot towards goal and the Town keeper could only parry. Mansell, looking class, linked up with O’Kane and Bodin once again creating trouble for the Cheltenham defence to deal with. Rene Howe shot towards goal with power on several occasions, Howe looking fully fit already.

Eunan O’Kane joined with Nicholson with style; Eunan played a very good role in the middle of the park. He also linked up with Howe, Howe retrieved the ball from O’Kane, and then Rene cleverly chipped the ball over to Mansell who won a corner.

Saah was looking strong clearing with confidence, also he intercepted a pass ran forward, picked out a great ball to Howe who was sadly offside. The centre backs looked resolute after the goal incident. Robertson was brilliant throughout the whole game, heading the ball clear and great tackling by Saah. Oastler was coping well with a strong right midfielder. Fantastic Football!!

It was all Torquay, until the later stages of the first half as Cheltenham gained momentum. But sadly they were simply cheating, trying to win a foul every time there was contact. It was almost like playing Crawley! A soon as the fourth official signalled that there was two minutes of injury time to be played, CTFC took the lead. They looked confident going forward, but sloppy mistakes by our defence were made and a goal was gifted. 1-2 was the score when half time was called. If I’m honest we didn’t deserve to be 2-1 down, definitely deserved to be level if not in the lead. Town just took their chances and we didn’t, even though we created much more.

In the early stages of the 2nd half we looked the strongest that showed when Oastler ran forward and won a corner. Also the front men linked up well and the chance was finished by Atieno who shot wide, but it was a great effort. However when the 2nd half was 5 minutes old CTFC were on top, playing well when they went on a break. As soon as the charged forward they looked dangerous.

Taiwo, Howe and Bodin joined once again looking a threat, they linked up with O’Kane who shot towards goal, but his shot was saved! From this stage onwards we looked on top.

We were then on a two on two break with Rene Howe and Billy Bodin on the yellow side. A perfectly weighted ball was played to Bodin, he shot towards goal, but his shot was blocked a glorious chance not taken!

Sub: Lathrope on for Morris

Nicholson then started to play well up the wing with Bodin and Atieno. Nicholson played a fantastic driven ball into the path of Lathrope who shot into the hands of the keeper. Lathrope looked good as soon as he came on!

Cheltenham again looked dangerous coming forward, our defence had to work extra hard to stop the charge from the Town front men. A few sloppy mistakes were made at the back which meant that free kicks were being conceded.

But finally that all deserved, and all important 2nd equaliser was scored by a thunderous strike by the left back Kevin Nicholson. Nicholson hit the inside of the post and the ball settled in the net! 2-2

United on top now, playing very well in every department of the game. Even Bobby looked amazingly confident as always!

Sub: Mcphee on for Atieno

When the game came towards an end, Kevin Nicholson took a free kick. The goal scorer shot towards goal and the CTFC keeper gingerly saved and preventing the ball going through his legs!

A late charge came from Town but nothing was made from it, we held on and the points were shared. In my opinion I think that we deserved to win the game and take the three points but it’s only the one and we go on to play Rotherham on Saturday.

Olejnik 8.5 – Looked confident throughout, his kicking was a bit of an issue, but that can’t dampen his performance to much, very good once again!
Oastler 8.5 – Coped well with the CTFC strong forward players and even came up the pitch to get involved with the action. Well done Joe!
Saah 8 – He played very well, hardly a mistake made! Great tackling and he looked comfortable on the ball.
Robertson 9 – My MOTM he made no mistakes, he cleared the ball away from danger so quickly and, just like Saah, looked very comfortable on the ball. He headed the ball brilliantly as well. Fantastic Robbo!
Nicholson 8.5 – He played very well as well, I remember a few way wood passes at times, but like Olejnik that can’t dampen his performance. His goal was class as well! Well done Nico!
Bodin 8.5 – Billy played fantastically well, he is a very skilful player. He linked up well with Nico and the front men to create many chances. His goal was top class as well! Well done Billy!
Manse 8.5 – He played just like he plays every game, with confidence and with 100% effort.
Eunan 8 – He started off slowly but when he got into the game he became very useful in coming forward.
Morris 7 – He didn’t have a good game, I am beginning to dislike Morris which is a great shame but I hope he plays better to change my mind. His touch was a little poor and didn’t seem to be in the game.
Howe 9 – He played really well, he was a great option for the long ball and he linked up well with the front men. He deserved to get a goal, but sadly he didn’t get on the score sheet. His work rate was top class, well played Rene.
Atieno 8 – He played well, at times he played very well. Linked up well with Eunan, Manse and Howe and shot towards goal with confidence as well.
Mcphee 5 – He wasn’t on for long enough to get a proper rating.
Lathrope 7 – Same as Mcphee really not on for long enough, although what he did do was impressive when he came on.

As I said earlier on we go on to face Rotherham on Saturday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Brilliant effort, Danny. Thanks for taking the time to do that, lovely to read an in-depth report on what sounds like a very good performance.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Kicked towards the "wrong end" first half and it always fills me with dread.

0-1 down in a few minutes. :( A few minutes later it's 1-1 :clap:

What a cracker that was from Bod. I could go on and on but I'll not say any more as I met Gloster tonight so I'll sign off before he gets home and gives me some stick.

Good read Danny, good match summary. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Great report Danny. I am really looking forward to being at Plainmmoor next month for the Gillingham match.
In my opinion Martin Lings team is only going to get better and better. Well done the Board for picking the right man.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

I must say thanks to Glostergull for the lift to and from the game, you are a star. Secondly great report Danny, great effort.
I did say it would be a 2-2 and if only i had got to ladbrokes and put my money on it, neve rmind.

Like what Matt said, Cheltenham are a good side this season and no longer the rubbish they were last season. They look like getting back to a simular standard of when they were in league 1. League 2 is tough this season that is for sure.

I am happy with the point, good to see us coming stronger and feel we have a good season ahead. Nicho's goal was amazing, anyone who wasnt there tonight make sure you watch out for the highlights on BBC website or GullsPlayer.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Thanks for the report Danny. Sounds pretty positive from all accounts. Takes me back to years ago when there was so much negativity on here as performances were, shall we say, not L2 standard. How we have progressed is very pleasing. I was at Northampton on Saturday and although there are issues with the defence at times generally I liked what I saw in a developing side that will get better IMHO. Waved to Southamptongull when I walked past him at half time but he didn't see me as I was on the extreme left hand side of the away end and had the cobblers fans in the library as neighbours. Don't make much noise do they? :zzz:
Oblivion!!!!
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Bloody BBC had no Ceefax updates last night, so I only had Radio 5 live, got a 1-0 down a 2-1 down and then switched to Collymore on Talksport for the final scores as R5 didn't give them till nearly 10pm, creaming on about frigging Arse & Chelski. I live far from any possibility of interweb connections, so I might by some carrier pigeons.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
lovinthatsurf
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: mansell

Post by lovinthatsurf »

love that mat kinda gave Saah some positive comments lol
in vino veritas
fallaces sunt rerum species