Martin Ling

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I remember Martin Ling as Orient manager i was allways impressed every time we played them , even when we beat 2.0 in that famous floodlight failer match, when he was appointed Cambridge manager my thought's were what a cracking appointment for them, ok things did not work out for Lingy at Camdridge,there are two sides to that story believe whic hever version you want.

I was delighted when Lingy was appointed here as our manager, you do not go from being a good to a bad manager overnight, i have heard and see written that Lingy was only sucsessful at Orient because of his then assistant, which to be quite honest is the biggest utter load crap i have ever heard or seen written.

As Nick quite rightly points out it is still early days so plenty of water to go under the bridge , however the team had a fantastic second half to last season which had a lot to with the arrival of Tomlin, Stanley and Robbo, who linked up with Zebs, with the loss of all four of those players and the manager, cuopled with talk of player buget cuts many of us feared a relegation scrap.

Lingy came in with little or no money to rebuild the team, he has largly been forced to fish around in the bargin bin, and from that he has brought into the club the right players, if Rene Howe contiues his early sason form he could well end the season in the top list of league 2 bargin buys of the season, so fair play to him for that.

Then there refreshing honesty, sorry i have to compare something between him and Buckle here, we were roundly stuffed by Crawley, did Lingy come out and blame the grass for being to dry or long, no , did Lingy come out and say well when i was with Orient this never happened to any team i put out, no , he just said what we all saw, beaten by a better team lets move on, Rovers lost 4.1 to Crawley, what did Buckle say, enough said there.

Again i have to compare the two on changing tatics or make a sub to effect a positive change in the game,how may times did we see Buckle make a sub or change the tatics with the team 1 or 2 goals down and end up with 1 point or 3, hope you can remember a game because i cant, Lingy 2 down to Burton 1 point gained , 1 down to the Daggers 1 point gained, 0.0 at half time against Macc and going no where 1 point become's 3 .

All can say is so far so good and lets hope that Lingy, Talyor and the squad keep going in this fashion, we are not world beaters however i can see a top half finish, how many of us would have taken that back in June.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

SteveDeckchair wrote: I think you may have something here Matt!

I remember reading something just after he arrived whereby he said he didn't have a use for a chief scout as he would use his contacts. "People will do it just for their expenses because they love the game" or something along those lines.

It certainly would explain why we need to tweak the team at half time before we start playing better.

A bit worrying really as imagine where we would be if we were playing for the full 90 every game! :keepie:

edit: 100 posts, woo hoo! :scarf:
O f course Matt and S/D , you could both be right, however i prefer to think that Lingy has a set plan "A"and the hope is it would be better than the other team's, which ever at least Lingy has shown he can change things and get a result. :bow:
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

He had the game plan sorted from kick off at Rovers, and considering what a crock of sh!t the game was at aldershot he managed to get a win. From my slightly drunken view of the D&R game I thought we were "ok" in the 1st half and just about better then D&R in the 2nd half. Either way I still don't think we have seen what we are fully capable of. Apart from Rovers, I don't think we are playing at 100% yet. Ling did mention he had scouts out getting the heads up on oposition rather than head hunting so it's not like he isn't preparing for the next game. To be honest at this level I would be extremely suprised if he doesn't know the team we are playing weeks before kick off.

I was never "anti" Buckle, but he did frustrate me, but I have already been bought in by Ling and his tactics. His interviews are much better ad we are getting to see some emotion and transparancy, rather than blaming the grass, the ref, the lights, the seating in the dugout, the humidity levels, the stitching on the ball, the studs on the boots or that the sun was too low in the sky (I can't think if any other excuses we got from Buckle) he is being honest about how his team performed.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

forevertufc wrote:Again i have to compare the two on changing tatics or make a sub to effect a positive change in the game,how may times did we see Buckle make a sub or change the tatics with the team 1 or 2 goals down and end up with 1 point or 3, hope you can remember a game because i cant, Lingy 2 down to Burton 1 point gained , 1 down to the Daggers 1 point gained, 0.0 at half time against Macc and going no where 1 point become's 3 .
Without even thinking too hard, Morecambe & Lincoln home and Wycombe away spring to mind from last season.
Arse! Drink!
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Father Jack wrote: Without even thinking too hard, Morecambe & Lincoln home and Wycombe away spring to mind from last season.
Bury?
The gulls are going up
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

I was gonna say Bury, but the trouble was after that game Lathrope in the middle became his default change, and that kind of tactical change wasn't always what was needed. Ling seems to be more able to make a variety of tactical or personel changes to affect the game in the way that he sees necessary.

I would tend to agree with forever that the need for such drastic changes is more down to plan A not working than not being prepared for the opposition. Perhaps at such an early point in the season with a lot of new faces in the team we're still working to find our true A plan.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Father Jack wrote: Without even thinking too hard, Morecambe & Lincoln home and Wycombe away spring to mind from last season.
Dear Father i really think there is a need for you to think harder, Morecambe we led the game 1.0 , they pulled level. we went to win 3.1 after they had 2 men sent off, and Lincoln home we won 2.0, (2/10) for getting Wycombe :)

And yes of course Bury. 2 matchs out of 46, are there any more, cuase Lingy gained points from 2 matchs we were losing in out 6, slight difference there methinks.
Last edited by Dave on 08 Sep 2011, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Actually i have done Buckle a diss-service here, been through last season's fixture's, we drew away to Gillingham and Macclesfield after falling behind, so thats 4 matchs turned in our favour after being behind, wonder how many i can find that were lost or drawn after we were in the lead? No i wont go there , there could be Rovers fan's reading this and i would not like to scare them in any way.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Father Jack »

forevertufc wrote: Dear Father i really think there is a need for you to think harder, Morecambe we led the game 1.0 , they pulled level. we went to win 3.1 after they had 2 men sent off, and Lincoln home we won 2.0, 2/10 for getting Wycombe :)

And yes of course Bury. 2 matchs out of 46, are there any more, cuase Lingy gained points from 2 matchs we were losing in out 6, slight difference there methinks.
Lincoln was 0-0 with us struggling to make an impression until subs were made. Most people around me (me included) were astounded when Robinson was taken off and replaced by Stevens (along with Eunan replacing Lathrope). It obviously worked though seeing as we then scored twice to win the game.

Morecambe reorganised well after having someone sent off and again we were having problems getting through to create chances. Rose, Hemmings and Eunan all came on (more pace in attack) in the space of 5 minutes with Rose then putting putting us 2-1 up before Benners wrapped the game up.

You asked for examples of changes that affected a game, I gave you 3 of the top of my head. I forgot about Bury (but then I didnt go to that one).
If you didnt want answers, dont ask the question next time.

edit: Billy Kee getting the equaliser at Burton after coming on as sub?
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Father Jack read what i actually said which was.

"Again i have to compare the two on changing tatics or make a sub to effect a positive change in the game,how may times did we see Buckle make a sub or change the tatics with the team 1 or 2 goals down and end up with 1 point or 3"

The important bit i have highlighted in red.
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Father Jack »

forevertufc wrote:Father Jack read what i actually said which was.

"Again i have to compare the two on changing tatics or make a sub to effect a positive change in the game,how may times did we see Buckle make a sub or change the tatics with the team 1 or 2 goals down and end up with 1 point or 3"

0.0 at half time against Macc and going no where 1 point become's 3

The important bit i have highlighted in red.
Why bother asking "Again i have to compare the two on changing tatics or make a sub to effect a positive change in the game"?

I gave you examples of game changing tactics/subs that resulted in 1 point instead of 0 and 3 points instead of 1. If you dont like the answers, dont ask for examples
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Father Jack wrote: Why bother asking "Again i have to compare the two on changing tatics or make a sub to effect a positive change in the game"?

I gave you examples of game changing tactics/subs that resulted in 1 point instead of 0 and 3 points instead of 1. If you dont like the answers, dont ask for examples
I fully understand that my grammar is not the best, however it is quite clear to me i asked for examples of games that were turned around when we were losing.

Before the comma i said....Again i have to compare the two on changing tatics or make a sub to effect a positive change in the game after the comma i said...how may times did we see Buckle make a sub or change the tatics with the team 1 or 2 goals down and end up with 1 point or 3

Perhaps there should have been a full stop after game and question mark after the quesion i was asking. however i think you fully well know what i meant , just being a tart really :)
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Father Jack »

So why use "0.0 at half time against Macc and going no where 1 point become's 3" as an example of Lingy changing a game if no one is allowed to point out occasions where tactical changes/subs worked last season?
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Father Jack wrote:So why use "0.0 at half time against Macc and going no where 1 point become's 3" as an example of Lingy changing a game if no one is allowed to point out occasions where tactical changes/subs worked last season?
Agreed i have been slightly confusing, however i dont agree with you on Lincoln home we were in total control of that match.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i think the point being made here, although in a somewhat long winded way, is that in his short time in charge, Ling has shown a definite ability to make decisions and change the course of a game from the touchline, be it tactically or by making substitutions. That is an area i'm pretty sure all TUFC fans will agree that Buckle was somewhat lacking. Of course we can find examples of where Buckle got it right, but there are a hell of a lot more where he didn't, and i'm more than happy with the way Ling has started. Long may it continue.
Brady

I Wish I Was There