Ellis

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

A mere co-incidence? I could equally say that Lathrope’s inclusion is also a mere co-incidence, but I don’t because it is not true.

It is about all 11 players (and the bench) playing to their potential in a system that works. Ellis is one cog in that, but I find that those that were quick to diss him are now equally reluctant to praise him Daves.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

yellow wrote:A mere co-incidence? I could equally say that Lathrope’s inclusion is also a mere co-incidence, but I don’t because it is not true.

It is about all 11 players (and the bench) playing to their potential in a system that works. Ellis is one cog in that, but I find that those that were quick to diss him are now equally reluctant to praise him Daves.
if we are just talking about mark then credits due to him - for stepping up, and also the coaching that he is receiving.

hes not going to be foot (and head!) perfect - thats why he plays in league 2.
but i cant see saah getting back in either!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I can praise Ellis when like today it is deserved, all I am asking for is our fans in general to take the blinkers off as far as Ellis is concerned, he recently had a couple of very indifferent games , yet the majority still voted him man of the match.As said be honest and keep it real.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Ellis and Robbo have struck up a very solid partnership now. It definitely helps having Lathrope infront of them doing the dirty work. Those 3 have made us look much more solid defensively, and as alot of people have said, Lathrope allows O'Kane and Mansell to get forward and give support to the attacking trio.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

yellow wrote:A mere co-incidence? I could equally say that Lathrope’s inclusion is also a mere co-incidence, but I don’t because it is not true.

So why single out Ellis?

Ellis is Ellis, he will always have his good games and will also drop a clanger from time to time. You only see what you want to see.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Credit must go to the defensive 6 in my eyes. Bobby in goal, Oastler and Nicho at full backs have been solid and working well with Robbo and Ellis who are doing a decent job together. Then with Lathrope doing the hard work infront and offering the extra protection its just fall fallen together nicley. Equally you could say Mans has done a lot to help the back line.

But fair play to Mark for stepping up and taking his chance with both hands. Been solid at the back and been deadly infront of goal recently. Each one of our squad deserves the praise.

Fantastic run so far and the squad is doing us all proud. Loooong let it continue :-D
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: So why single out Ellis?

Ellis is Ellis, he will always have his good games and will also drop a clanger from time to time. You only see what you want to see.
I didn’t single out Ellis. What I said was quote “I don't believe that the inclusion of Mark Ellis and our recent form are merely co-incidence.”

For that to be true he has only to be better than Saah. Not that difficult a task IMHO. However, I think he is doing it in spades.

Some only read what they want to read.

However I would be interested to see how the MOTM stats look since his return. I wonder if Gulliball can tell us?

Of course I suspect that he is ahead, but I know that if he is, then his critics will say ignore that, it’s just the blinkered voting that goes on, and he might make a mistake any game now to prove our point!
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

yellow wrote:
I didn’t single out Ellis. What I said was quote “I don't believe that the inclusion of Mark Ellis and our recent form are merely co-incidence.”

For that to be true he has only to be better than Saah. Not that difficult a task IMHO. However, I think he is doing it in spades.

Some only read what they want to read.

However I would be interested to see how the MOTM stats look since his return. I wonder if Gulliball can tell us?

Of course I suspect that he is ahead, but I know that if he is, then his critics will say ignore that, it’s just the blinkered voting that goes on, and he might make a mistake any game now to prove our point!

Of course you singled out Ellis.

You dragged up a thread titled "Ellis" from 2 months ago to illustrate a point regarding (surprise surprise) Ellis. If that isn't singling out Ellis I'm a London Bus driver. So I read what I read, not what I wanted to read, duh !!

For him to be better than Saah as you put it, that will have to be tested if and when Saah returns and has the benefit of playing in a side with the current formation and not the one employed the last time he was in the team.

I can credit Ellis with good performances when I see them and have done so in the past, I just don't see him as the most significant reason for our upturn in form, I put that down to a change of formation, using Lathrope in that holding role thus protecting our back four and allowing Mansell and O'Kane to do what they do best. I think that would also have brought out the best of Saah as it happens, time will tell if that line of thought is correct.

What the MOTM voting does or doesn't show is immaterial, nobody is arguing that Ellis isn't playing well and doing so in a team full of confidence, if we hit a bad run let's see how well he performs then shall we?
Dave

yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellow »

Actually my point in resurrecting the thread was that there were some who claimed (and continue to claim) that ME couldn’t or wouldn’t put together a decent run of games and needed to show some consistency. Also that he is a liability because he is error prone.

I recall one argument that he had had his chance and blown it and they couldn’t care less if he was sold.

My feeling was that he had now got enough recent games under his belt to belie that argument, and hopefully cause a revision of opinion.

There are many factors that have lead to an upturn in our fortunes. It is a team game. I agree with your comment about the tactical switch. I make no claim that it is all down or even primarily down to ME. However, I do still believe that his reintroduction and our upturn in fortunes is not a co-incidence. I think it is a significant piece of the jigsaw alongside many others, the form of Bobby being but one of many that spring to mind.

P.S. Isn’t it a treat to debate the reasons for TUFC success?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Yes it certainly is.

I've just seen his finish on the FLS and it was a great run, an attacking one that we all know he's more than capable of and showing off one of the attributes that makes him a firm favourite with fans such as yourself. I'm as happy as anyone to see him part of a successful Torquay side, my only concern being he is still a bit naiive at times in his defending. If Shaun Taylor can improve on that then fantastic, another very saleable asset for us to eventually cash in on.
Dave

Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Of course you singled out Ellis.

You dragged up a thread titled "Ellis" from 2 months ago to illustrate a point regarding (surprise surprise) Ellis. If that isn't singling out Ellis I'm a London Bus driver. So I read what I read, not what I wanted to read, duh !!

For him to be better than Saah as you put it, that will have to be tested if and when Saah returns and has the benefit of playing in a side with the current formation and not the one employed the last time he was in the team.

I can credit Ellis with good performances when I see them and have done so in the past, I just don't see him as the most significant reason for our upturn in form, I put that down to a change of formation, using Lathrope in that holding role thus protecting our back four and allowing Mansell and O'Kane to do what they do best. I think that would also have brought out the best of Saah as it happens, time will tell if that line of thought is correct.

What the MOTM voting does or doesn't show is immaterial, nobody is arguing that Ellis isn't playing well and doing so in a team full of confidence, if we hit a bad run let's see how well he performs then shall we?
Now I heard from a cockney birdey you used to drive a London Bus on a tourist pub crawl looking out for all the best places to find Magners.Then you found three all at once. :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843