Ellis

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
kbgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ashley Yeoman

Post by kbgull »

It wouldnt surprise me to find Ellis dropped for Robertson to come back in tomorrow and Oastler to stay at right back!

Brian Saah looks to have his place cemented in the back 4 (Lings Blue Eyed Boy), Ellis was at fault for the 2nd goal on Tuesday against Cheltenham due to Saah missing the 1st challenge/header, which left Ellis to try and clean up his mistake!

For me he has to play, he is determind, attacks the ball well and is an asset for set peices!
Saah doesnt look like he can mark a player, he is never near an opponent and like Robertson he is far to Quiet, showing he is not a leader! Club Captain My ASS!!
tufcfans
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan!

Post by tufcfans »

Seems to be a striker now!
Torquay United Online Newspaper (Torquay United Fans Daily) http://www.paper.li/TUFCFANS/1309719474 and other online newspapers here: http://paper.li/~/publisher/674697#
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Bump
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Played a blinder v Plymouth.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellow »

That won’t be good enough for some.

Mark Ellis is required to have 10 error free games in a row before he as afforded a tiny bit of begrudging respect. If he then makes a mistake he should be banished to the reserves for 3 months minimum.

That is both the Buckle (and the Ellis detractors like royalgull) way.
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
Father Jack
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Johhny Rudge

Post by Father Jack »

Yeah. Really impressive the way he stood rooted to the spot, watching the ball instead of picking up Atkinson when he moved into position in the area. At least we had a 3 goal cushion by then.
Arse! Drink!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I think it is pretty much the same at every club, fan's wear rose tinted glasses for some players , yet others will never be forgiven after a bad game, the biggest shame for me Saturday is Saah, thought he was having a storming game until he went off, thats the thing , Saah will struggle to be forgiven for an awful start to the season, Ellis despite playing total garbage , was only ever dropped because Buckle did not like him in the eye's of a few.

That said since he has come back into the side he seems to be playing with a lot more confidence , and over all has done well, as for there goal I dont think it was just down to Ellis, when Sutherland made his run into the box, 4 Torquay players are sucked into to following the ball, leaving a huge hole in the middle, very schoolboy all round, and hope Taylor has had a look at that.
Formerly known as forevertufc
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Mark Ellis every week please.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

yellow wrote:That won’t be good enough for some.

Mark Ellis is required to have 10 error free games in a row before he as afforded a tiny bit of begrudging respect. If he then makes a mistake he should be banished to the reserves for 3 months minimum.

That is both the Buckle (and the Ellis detractors like royalgull) way.
I'm not an Ellis detractor, I support all of our players the same. I have ones I prefer to others naturally but I don't dislike Ellis. But similarly I've never had the massive love in for someone that hasn't been consistently good over a season. Ellis has done extremely well and has clearly been a major reason why we're doing well, brilliant. If he's helped things, improved things then that's fantastic and I'm delighted about that.

I just want him to play well for more than 5 or 6 games for once. In the past Ellis has come in done a decent job then immediately gone off the boil and we've been forced to drop him. That's happened numerous times before. This is why I've never understood the 'love in' for him when the lieks of Robertson or Nicholson who have been brilliant for us over the course of not 5 games but 50 games rarely get a mention on these portals. And still don't.
highweekgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by highweekgull »

As I've always said, Ellis has MUCH more potential than ANY defender I've seen at this club bar perhaps Alex Watson who was class.

With the right manager, coach and partner Ellis could be better than Torquay by a long way. I'd love to stand next to him and talk him through every game- just like Steve Woods was doing before he got ousted.

Anyone who has ever played centre half can see he has the natural ability and just needs to iron out a few wrinkles - which would be done with the right guidance.

Robertson also has ability (and issues like slicing, letting the ball bounce and grabbing opponents) but I'd never see him getting above Div 1, whereas Ellis.

If you asked me who I'd rather have in my squad Ellis or Mike Williamson, I'd take Ellis (even though the latter is obviously better at the moment).

If we have a good season and he plays it all, he will go in the summer along with Eunan.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Great post highweekgull.

I've always said that Ellis has the potential to far exceed Torquay. This potential was recognised by Premier League scouts in his Exeter days and i heard somewhere that one of the clauses in the deal was that Exeter would get a bonus if he appeared for England. Clearly, he's not ever going to be quite good enough for that level, but i definitely think if he got the right coaching he could play Championship football. Hopefully his recent good run can continue and Ling can get the best out of Ellis (and Stevens) for a sustained period.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Agree with both sides of the argument, and think Ellis can be one of the best defenders we've had in my time supporting the club, and in that time, we've had players like Darren Moore, Matt Elliott, Alex Watson, Wayne Thomas, Mike Williamson, all of whom have played in the top flight(not 100% certain about Alex Watson though) but the one thing they all had? An extremely high level of consistancy which Ellis is still searching for. As mentioned above, he plays incredibly well for a handful of games, and then seems to either forget the basics or believe's the hype about him.

Let's all hope that he finds that high level week in week out and goes on to bigger and better things, as that is only going to be good news for TUFC
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by yellow »

nicktufc wrote:Agree with both sides of the argument, and think Ellis can be one of the best defenders we've had in my time supporting the club, and in that time, we've had players like Darren Moore, Matt Elliott, Alex Watson, Wayne Thomas, Mike Williamson, all of whom have played in the top flight(not 100% certain about Alex Watson though) but the one thing they all had? An extremely high level of consistancy which Ellis is still searching for. As mentioned above, he plays incredibly well for a handful of games, and then seems to either forget the basics or believe's the hype about him.

Let's all hope that he finds that high level week in week out and goes on to bigger and better things, as that is only going to be good news for TUFC
I do believe that he is doing that now that he has been given the opportunity and hope that he has earned the right to make the odd mistake without banishment. In Dinger I trust.

The recent goals are the icing on the cake of a really good lengthy run of form in a settled side.

I don't believe that the inclusion of Mark Ellis and our recent form are merely co-incidence.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Personaly wish fan's in general would stop this out and out hero worship of Mark Ellis, to me it is about being honest, today I have to say Ellis was superb and he is performaning to a higher standard no doubt, however praise when its due, also he has had a couple of indifferent games this season, so critism when its due as well, keep it real.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Agree with Dave here, I would say it is a mere coincidence and has much more to do with the emergence of Lathrope in the holding role. Without that tactical change who is to say we wouldn't be seeing much more pressure on young Mark?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com