PSF: Tiverton Town v Torquay United

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

PSF: Tiverton Town v Torquay United

Post by ferrarilover »

Hello all, and welcome to a brand new season. :-D

This year promises to be an exciting one, with a new look squad and management team, as well as number of local derbies and changes behind the scenes of the club.

Looking forward then, to our first pre-season friendly of the year...

Gulls news.

Well, where to start?

We have a number of back room changes, with the departure of stadium manager Rob Stanley, replaced by Paul Baker, the permanent instatement of Kerry Haggan as club secretary and the appointment of Mr Andrew Candy as General Manager.

Some familiar faces do return, Simon Baker remains as Chairman, with a board of twelve below him, including former Chelsea legend Colin Lee(!) and Thea Bristow, the widow of the very sadly departed Paul.

Closer to the pitch, ex-Orient and Cambridge primero, Martin Ling has arrived to take over from Paul Buckle, who departed for pastures new, 100 miles up the M5 at Bristol Rovers. To replace those Bucks took with him, we have Shaun Taylor in as assistant, replacing Shaun North as number two. Fortunately, we managed to keep our off field losses to a minimum, and we have retained the services of former Arsenal stopper Kenny Vesey as goalkeeping coach, as well as physiotherapist extraordinaire and general housewives favourite, Damien Davy as spongeman.

On the field, it is all change, with the likes of last seasons leading scorer Chris Zebro(w)ski following Mr Buckle up the motorway, along with starting 'keeper Scott Bevan. Among others to leave Plainmoor from the end of last season are POTS Guy Branston, who will be pretty in pink at Bradford next year, as well as loanees, Craig Stanley who is another to be enticed (rather bemusingly) by Bristol Rovers, Jake Robinson has been snapped up (even more bizarrely) by our friends at Northampton Town and Gavin Tomlin has returned to parent club Dagenham and Redbridge, who, after a folly in L1, return to the fold to join us in the basement division.

To cover our losses, Joe Oastler has been acquired from Premier League new boys, QPR. Daniel Leadbitter joins from the Newcastle reserve side and Austrian international Robert Olejnik comes in between the sticks. Making a welcome return to Plainmoor is Chris McPhee, who represented the Gulls in the ill-fated 2006/07 season. Further, trialist Taiwo Atieno is here, attempting to earn a contract. To replace Branston, we have signed Brian Saah from Cambridge United. Saah typically follows Martin Ling wherever he goes, and the two have a good working relationship.

Further signings are expected, with Tam McManus being suggested as a possible striking option.

The oppo

Relegated Tiverton Town are this years first opponents. Now plying their trade in the Southern League division 1, following a disappointing return of just 29 points in the Premier division last time round.

This will be the second consecutive year we have played them at their place and, if this year is anything like the last, we're in for a treat. Last summer, the Gulls ran riot at Ladymede, treating their hosts to a thrashing, the likes of which hasn't been seen down these parts since Basil Fawlty got mildly miffed by his faltering Austin Princess (was it a Princess, I don't remember). 8-0 was the final score, with new boy from Accrington, Billy Kee, netting 5.

Players to watch

Of their lot, the two stand out men are Michael Nardiello, a member of the seemingly endless stream of Nardiellos who pervade South West football like a plague. The real superstar is, of course, United's record appearance maker, Kevin Hill.
Hilly has been plying his trade in the lower reaches of regional football, following his departure from United after the FA Trophy final in 2008. Since then, he has played for Dorchester, and signed up for Tivvy in September 2010 and has been a regular in the first team since.

Ref Watch

He'll wear black and not have a lot to do.

I hope this does just enough to whet the appetite of those on the fence about going, it's sure to be a decent match and, if nothing else, a chance to see the new lads in action.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Dissapointed I cant make this one. But hopefully it'll be a decent game and be interesting to see how the new players get on. Hopefully they'll be someone updating on here from the match.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Has anyone got an idea on admission prices,might be able to go to this match not sure yet.
Formerly known as forevertufc
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Saah not count?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

chippygull wrote:Saah not count?
I don't know WHAT you mean...

Matt.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

If you hadn't just tacked it on at the end of the paragraph, you might've got away with that Matt!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

"Saah typically follows Martin Ling wherever he goes" :clap:
CUFC4LIFE
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

:clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

cambgull wrote:If you hadn't just tacked it on at the end of the paragraph, you might've got away with that Matt!
:rules:
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I'm afraid that I can't make this one. I'm planning to go to the Home games and one away game hopefully. It'll be nice to see the new boys in yellow! :-D :clap: :scarf:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

I'm glad you all enjoyed my write-up, and the amusingness of the Brian Saah situation.

Is TCP a friendly Cambridge fan, or otherwise?

Matt.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

ferrarilover wrote:I'm glad you all enjoyed my write-up, and the amusingness of the Brian Saah situation.

Is TCP a friendly Cambridge fan, or otherwise?

Matt.
Seems decent enough at the moment. Not Ling's biggest fan!
Last edited by Richinns on 11 Jul 2011, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
TCP
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Josh Coulson

Post by TCP »

I'm a friendly Cambridge fan :)
CUFC4LIFE
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Ok, that's fine then. Not that I'm the internet police, you understand, just I have little to do today and was going to engage the enemy if you were here for a punch-up. =D

Matt.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

TCP wrote:I'm a friendly Cambridge fan :)
Have a feeling TCP that if that playoff final went your way instead of ours - then we might be in your position now. Amazing the importance of that 1 game. I hope you can soon find your feet again and push for your League status once more.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/