Oxford vs Torquay - Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

chippygull wrote:This is my nearest fixture and I'm really looking forward to it; the 2-0 win and that fantastic comeback from 0-3 to 3-3 with Sillsy proving to his old club that he could score goals!! If good things go in threes, let's hope for a belter tomorrow!!!

Mine too! See you there Chippygull (from Chipping Norton I presume) I reckon its a point apiece with a 1 - 1 but I will gladly eat my underpants if we get a win (well, not my underpants exactly). JackFM are trying to play OUFC up at the moment on the radio. Going early to get a decent parking slot.

Keith(Oxgull from Launton) :)
Oblivion!!!!
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

I shall look out for a pants-eating fan at the exit! Getting in and out and parking can be a bloody nightmare. I can never decide whether to leave the car on the Industrial Estate road or try and get into the car-washer riddled car park. Do we have to buy tickets from one hole and then enter through another?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

From the Oxford Mail:

Centre halves Mark Creighton and Jake Wright were both sent off as the U s crashed 5-0 on Saturday, their heaviest defeat under Chris Wilder.

And it means both players are suspended for tomorrow night s npower League Two game against Torquay United at the Kassam Stadium.

Creighton is banned for one match, because his dismissal was for two yellow cards, but Wright faces a three-match suspension, as does Bradford s James Hanson, after the pair traded blows in a melee at the time of Creighton s dismissal.

Harry Worley and Leigh Franks will now be forced to line-up in central defence against Torquay.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Senda out, Robbo Travels, Mansell back, news from the official site. Id go for

Bevan

Nicholson
Branston (C)
Ellis
Oastler

Zebroski
Wroe
Mansell
Rose

Benyon
Kee

Line up with that and we should win comfortably considering their suspensions. If Kee has another game without scoring, I would start to CONSIDER gritton. Go for Oastler at right back, if Robbo is still not ready, gutted that senda is out, my man of the match for morecambe before he got subbed, often carried macklin in the first half.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'm feeling we should perhaps start with Gritton for this one.

Oxford are having to bring in Leigh Franks at Centre Half, who has only played 4 or 5 senior games. I think we'd stand a much better chance against him with an old fashioned centre forward to bash him about, as its unlikely he'd have experienced much like that in his Reserve team background. Plus, when I last saw Gritton in a 5 min cameo at Gillingham he looked more mobile and effective.

I really want it to work out for Billy Kee, and every game I hope to myself today will be the day, but time is running out. To be fair the games I've been to he's only had a few minutes so I'm yet to see him play for any great length of time so can only pass judgement on what those on here say.

Agree with the central midfield of Wroe and Manse, and also would be interested to see Oastler at Full Back - I liked what I saw of him in Centre Mid at Gillingham, and I'm never totally convinced of Robbo as a full back.

really looking forward to tomorrows game!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oooh, totally off subject, but i only need a one word answer,

who was captain on Saturday?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Branston.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

-------------------------Bevan

Oastler---------Ellis------------Branston---------Nico

Zebs-----------Wroe------------Mansell----------Rose

--------------------------E O'K

-------------------------Benyon

is what I think we'll see.

I do like Jeff's idea above of playing Gritton in this one against two young centre halves. If we were to do that E O'K can go back into central midfield and Wroe can drop out. I don't particularly like the idea of playing Wroe anyway, not because he's leaving but because he hasn't had a good game in about 6 months. Benyon up front on his own is also not ideal.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

chippygull wrote:From the Oxford Mail:

Centre halves Mark Creighton and Jake Wright were both sent off as the U s crashed 5-0 on Saturday, their heaviest defeat under Chris Wilder.

And it means both players are suspended for tomorrow night s npower League Two game against Torquay United at the Kassam Stadium.

Creighton is banned for one match, because his dismissal was for two yellow cards, but Wright faces a three-match suspension, as does Bradford s James Hanson, after the pair traded blows in a melee at the time of Creighton s dismissal.

Harry Worley and Leigh Franks will now be forced to line-up in central defence against Torquay.
Please don't take this as me doubting you, but in the past if you were sent off on a Saturday your suspension didn't start until the following Saturday, I am pressuming looking at the above that this rule has changed?
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

I thought the same, but all the press here say the kids will both be brought in at CB...

Harry Worley and Leigh Franks will take over from the suspended Mark Creighton and Jake Wright, who were both sent off in a disastrous second half at Valley Parade.

Josh Payne, who didn t come out for the second 45 minutes because of an ankle injury, is fit to play.

“It s now all about how we react,” Wilder said. “We showed a good reaction after the Macclesfield defeat, against Northampton, and I m confident that, with our supporters getting behind us, we ll be able to show another good reaction.”

Wilder admitted it had been a long weekend, but after analysing Saturday s game on the DVD, he felt most of the City goals came on the counter-attack and once the sendings-off happened “it was game, set and match”.

He said: “The players were hurting and it was a heavy defeat, we understand that, but it s still just three points lost.

“We ve got to excite the fans and we owe the supporters a performance full of desire and commitment.

“The players have got to show me that they re good enough in terms of mentality and performance to take this club forward.”

Wilder is probably thinking about other changes, and can call on the likes of Damian Batt, Steve Kinniburgh, Jack Midson, Matt Green, and Simon Clist, if the latter has recovered from his ankle injury.

Torquay have gone nine games without a clean sheet. Paul Buckle s team did chalk up their first win in ten league games, though, on Saturday, beating Morecambe 3-1 at Plainmoor. Like Oxford, Morecambe had two players sent off, including one after only ten minutes.

Former Oxford player-of-the-year Lee Mansell, the new captain at Torquay, returns after a one-match ban, while another ex-U s man, forward Chris Zebroski, has hit six goals this season.

Ex-Wycombe right back Danny Senda is a doubt with a hamstring injury.

Oxford Utd: (from) Clarke, Purkiss, Worley, Franks, Tonkin, Heslop, Payne, Hall, Potter, Constable, Craddock, Eastwood, Batt, Kinniburgh, Baker, Clist, Green, Midson, Cole, Deering.

Torquay Utd: (from) Bevan, Oastler, Ellis, Branston, Nicholson, Zebroski, Ostler, Wroe, Mansell, Benyon, Macklin, Rose, O Kane, Hemmings, Robertson, Stevens, Kee, Gritton, Rowe-Turner, Charnock, Potter, Palmer.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

Awayday wrote: Please don't take this as me doubting you, but in the past if you were sent off on a Saturday your suspension didn't start until the following Saturday, I am pressuming looking at the above that this rule has changed?
It now takes place for the next competetive match (also applies to the 5 yellow totting up now, according to the FA website {section a, para 8, a, viii}).
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

Awayday wrote:Please don't take this as me doubting you, but in the past if you were sent off on a Saturday your suspension didn't start until the following Saturday, I am pressuming looking at the above that this rule has changed?

This should remove your doubts ....

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/SuspensionLists
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Awayday wrote:
Please don't take this as me doubting you, but in the past if you were sent off on a Saturday your suspension didn't start until the following Saturday, I am pressuming looking at the above that this rule has changed?
Page one of this very thread has a post from me showing the exact rule.....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Very annoyed, going to have to miss the game tonight due to a catastrophic gearbox failure. En route. Stat on miserable train home, will even miss the first half text commentary and updates on here!

Still, I hope that I am even more annoyed later on because I missed a majestic gulls victory, rather than thankful I missed out. That will be adequate compensation!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Like Jeff, I am also very annoyed I am missing the game! Something else came up! Grrr! I'll just have to listen. Is GullsPlayer working?
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.