Two Poss Signings

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
rumurchap
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Two Poss Signings

Post by rumurchap »

Torquay Are Talking To 22year old goalkeeper Alan Martin who is currently without a club and 25year old striker Bobby Linn from Scotland 2nd Division East Fife.

Both of these are far from complete but talks have taken place. I believe there is a possibility that Alan Martin may be at training tomorrow. Also on trial this coming week is a midfielder called Jonny Godsmark.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Alan Martin the ex Leeds goalkeeper? Don't really know much about him.

Never heard of Bobby Linn.

Jonny Godsmark used to play for Newcastle I think, he's a winger, and a pretty rapid one at that. Don't know anything else!
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

Godsmark played against us for Hereford a couple of seasons ago and was brilliant before tiring - he's been playing local north-east football for Ashington recently though - doesn't bode well.

Know nothing of Linn at all but he's tiny (5-7) according to his Wikipedia page (no reason to disbelieve this time) - no problem with taking a look at him if he proves to be another Dave Caldwell!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Rumurchap.

This was a post you made on your Adam legzdins thread.

A magician never reveals his tricks....if you guys sign two goalkeepers and one of them not being Adam, then I will personally apologise to you all. As for the Derby link I don't know..thats me being honest, whether he has signed for Derby and then agreed to join us on loan or signed permantly I am ...by rumurchap

He did not sign and you did not apologise,why should be believe you now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
rumurchap
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rumurchap »

Upto you, Im not saying they've signed...Im not saying there gonna sign...Im not saying they will be torquay players by end of august...All Im saying is Ive heard these players are in talks with club and poss trialist :S Jeezzz this is a forum isn't it !! anyone would think you can't write on here....
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

rumurchap wrote:Upto you, Im not saying they've signed...Im not saying there gonna sign...Im not saying they will be torquay players by end of august...All Im saying is Ive heard these players are in talks with club and poss trialist :S Jeezzz this is a forum isn't it !! anyone would think you can't write on here....
Never ever had a problem with people posting there rumours,in fact i am all for it,just asking you a question, you said if your rumour was wrong you would apologise,you did not,you still have not.

And then i compare your rumour,to those that Teeboo has brought to the site,he is beating you 4.0 at the moment,get my drift. :-/
Formerly known as forevertufc
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

To be fair to rumurchap, this is what the summer is all about. Links with players who could all feasibly be targets, I've seen far more unlikely links made by our own members and none of them get slated.

I've seen a few things about Jonny Godsmark and really never been fussed, he's another Danny Stevens, all pace but nothing on the end of it. That said, his pace is like lightning, would at least be in the top 3 fastest players in League 2 which could be very useful. With a decent coaching setup, like Stevens, he could be a dangerous player but still has a long way to go for this league.

Don't know much about Martin or Linn, never even heard of Linn. I believe Alan Martin was Leeds' backup keeper for a while (before Kasper Schmeichel came in I think) so could be very good for us as a back up.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Not sure whether to take this with a pinch of salt or what, after the prophecy that Legzdins was going to sign.

But on the plus side, these are all names who would be more realistic to us. Alan Martin I believe had a couple of loan spells at Barrow so has at least been blooded in the Senior game. other than that don't really know a lot about him.

Bobby Linn is this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Linn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; other than that know nothing about him. I would imagine that he may have got onto Ling's radar during his time scouting for Hibs. Encouragingly it says he is a winger, less encouraging is that he moved to East Fife to be closer to his family. And Zebs thinks his commuting is a problem...................

Jonny Godsmark is an interesting one. I have never seen him play, but for some reason his name is etched on my mind after seeing him score for Hereford on the football league show, and then seeing him pop up on Footie Manager playing for Ashington in the Northern League. I always thought it was strange for a player to go from regular in L2 (as he was during that spell at Hereford) to playing at such a low level - it would be like Lloyd Macklin playing for Dawlish (cue jokes about that being Macklin's level). I wonder whether - if true - this has anything to do with Dan Leadbitter? He and Godsmark must have been in and around the same youth sides at NUFC, maybe they are good mates? Or whether Ling watched a number of NUFC reserve/academy games.

Like I said, unfortunately due to the OP's wildly inaccurate form for predicitions I'm not sure whether this will be true, but it certainly seems more believable than the Legdzins rumour.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

He is a hard working player who has scored roughly 28 goals in 62 professional league games (36 of which he was a substitute).
Thats a pretty decent record for Peterhead and I quite like the "hard working player" bit. Maybe the shortar*e version of Zebs?!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

It's quite possible Godsmark came to Ling's attention at the same time as Leadbitter. I'd like to think the link has more to do with his ability, than the fact he might be mates with Leadbitter though!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Fonda wrote:It's quite possible Godsmark came to Ling's attention at the same time as Leadbitter. I'd like to think the link has more to do with his ability, than the fact he might be mates with Leadbitter though!
I agree that friendship would be a pretty flimsy reason to sign someone! But I guess he's worth a trial.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Seemingly not the 'quality' we are so lacking up front but worth a look at. Hoping there are bigger targets and additions coming than these mentioned.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

My guess would be that the Legzdins prediction was just a case of Chinese whispers. A "source" mentions Olejnik and it wouldn't take too much for this to become Legzdins.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Martin_(footballer_born_1989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;-)

I think this keeper sounds quite good. Certainly good enough to be a back-up but perhaps even challenge for the no.1 position as well.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I had considered the same with Olejnik/Legdzins - you hear a foreign sounding name, see a foreign-sounding keeper available and put 2 and 2 together.

I'd tried looking for Alan Martin on wiki but came up short. His credentials are certainly better than I'd expected. The question is, doesn't he seem a little too good for a number 2? I'd rather we had a de-facto No.1, and concentrated on some quality out wide/up front