Latest Film You've Seen

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

just took the kid to see percy jackson and the sea of monsters, its super saver tuesday at the apollo/vue and we've got our membership cards (i only go when its cheap) so i thought begrudgingly , "haaah, why not". i dont mind films like this (harry potter sort of things etc) i really liked p j and the lightning thief. although these films are aimed at kids and based on kids books there is still a good film there that adults can enjoy.

well, p j and the s o m is quite good, but i expected a bit more action, i grew up watching some dodgy sinbad films and jason and the argonauts on wet bank holiday weekends and easters, the effects were terrible but at the time they were tense, danger ridden, action packed affairs.

judging by the trailers and the title of the film i thought we were gonna see an updated, eye popping, impressive version of a jason and the argonauts type thing with loads of sea monsters and epic battles. but no.

still a good film, most of the characters are quite good. i would watch a third. 8/10

super saver tuesday meant it was going to cost £5.30 each, fine with that, we loaded up our stash of chocolate, popcorn and coke from morrisons beforehand, im not paying cinema prices, (shrewd move, yes i am tight) but once at the counter in the cinema the kid wanted some of these warm wheat snack, crisps type things called krax. the blokes looking at me, its 2 minutes until showtime, i thought oh what the hell, the film's cheap.

suddenly the total is £14.20, i said, "oh hang on mate, i've got my super saver tuesday cards", he looked at me like i was something on the bottom of his shoe and said yeah i know mate, the krax are £3.60. :-o

my knees went weak, hot flushes descended and i was like h,h,h,h, how much. =Z anyway the kids already munching 'em so i couldnt stick with my gut reaction and throw them back at the bloke behind the counter and refuse to pay it. how on earth can they charge that and expect people to keep coming back and buying it.

guess what? the place was 90% empty again. on super saver tuesday as well, and it was p1$$1ng it down outside.
not surprising is it. :|

next time the little $h1t can make do with a packet of frazzles or a tube of pringles at best! :no:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

chunkygull wrote:just took the kid to see percy jackson and the sea of monsters, its super saver tuesday at the apollo/vue and we've got our membership cards (i only go when its cheap) so i thought begrudgingly , "haaah, why not". i dont mind films like this (harry potter sort of things etc) i really liked p j and the lightning thief. although these films are aimed at kids and based on kids books there is still a good film there that adults can enjoy.

well, p j and the s o m is quite good, but i expected a bit more action, i grew up watching some dodgy sinbad films and jason and the argonauts on wet bank holiday weekends and easters, the effects were terrible but at the time they were tense, danger ridden, action packed affairs.

judging by the trailers and the title of the film i thought we were gonna see an updated, eye popping, impressive version of a jason and the argonauts type thing with loads of sea monsters and epic battles. but no.

still a good film, most of the characters are quite good. i would watch a third. 8/10

super saver tuesday meant it was going to cost £5.30 each, fine with that, we loaded up our stash of chocolate, popcorn and coke from morrisons beforehand, im not paying cinema prices, (shrewd move, yes i am tight) but once at the counter in the cinema the kid wanted some of these warm wheat snack, crisps type things called krax. the blokes looking at me, its 2 minutes until showtime, i thought oh what the hell, the film's cheap.

suddenly the total is £14.20, i said, "oh hang on mate, i've got my super saver tuesday cards", he looked at me like i was something on the bottom of his shoe and said yeah i know mate, the krax are £3.60. :-o

my knees went weak, hot flushes descended and i was like h,h,h,h, how much. =Z anyway the kids already munching 'em so i couldnt stick with my gut reaction and throw them back at the bloke behind the counter and refuse to pay it. how on earth can they charge that and expect people to keep coming back and buying it.

guess what? the place was 90% empty again. on super saver tuesday as well, and it was p1$$1ng it down outside.
not surprising is it. :|

next time the little $h1t can make do with a packet of frazzles or a tube of pringles at best! :no:

I hope to God it was yours! :lol:

I couldn't get to see Smurfs 2 today. Instead I had the misfortune of an afternoon swimming at the Doncaster Dome. When I DO go though, I won't be buying ANYTHING from the cinema. I checked out prices of stuff last week when I went to see Partridge as I hadn't been to the cinema for a while before that and they wanted £2.60 for a bottle of Oasis and £2 for a bottle of water. Ok so they have to make a profit but even £1.75 for an Oasis would be making a decent profit and I may have bought one. It's like a lot of things nowadays, you'd pay a little over the odds for things as you expect it but they're just taking the p*ss. Impulse buys are now a thing of the past now for me because often they charge far far too much than is reasonable.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

yeah, he is my kid, well the wife assures me he is (anyone got jeremy kyles number). :-/

anyway, it is disgusting what they charge for food and drinks at the cinema. i always plan ahead and stock up at the supermarket before heading down to the cinema. he caught me at a moment of weakness for once, but i did not expect £3.60 for a glorified box of bloody crisps. :-o

the film was cheap today, being "super saver tuesday" an all. they werent showing it in 3d, which no doubt the little sod would have wanted. that would have been more than £2 more, EACH! on a normal day a 3d film at off peak is £9.30 for me £7.00 for him, peak time for me £10.55, for him £7.95.prices have got worse since vue took over apollo, but they were bad enough before. :no:

the place is hardly ever busy, they have moaned about it before how they dont make enough money and not enough people go. is it any wonder? if it was cheaper i would go a lot more often, but now i really pick and choose, this was only the second time this year. :(

eventually no one will bother, they will go bankrupt, then they will cry, whinge, moan and complain that they have gone t1ts up and expect everyone to feel sorry for them. i would for the staff, but not the company.we will then be left with a bloody great big empty building on paignton seafront with bugger all chance of anything else going there. :|
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

re: prices of 'concessions' at cinemas. That's where they make their money - the price of the tickets is pretty much a break even for them because the studios charge such a lot of money for the films themselves. doesn't make it right - i mean, surely they'd make more just by fleecing everybody a reasonable amount - but it does make a bit of sense.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

yeah, i get it that the cinema makes their money on concessions, i heard something about it before, but surely they must realise they arent going to sell much at the prices they charge. if it cost less then we wouldnt take so much of our own stuff in and they would sell a lot more and make more money.

its like with the cinema ticket if it was cheaper more people would go.if the film companies are being too greedy and it costs a cinema so much to show their films eventually its all going to go t1ts up completely. surely they must realise they are going to have to stop charging the cinema so much.

even between 7 and 10 years ago the cinema on a normal day for any old average films got quite a good audience. in the last few years i have been really choosy of what i watch, i always go on "super saver tuesday" and usually when a film is first released and i can tell you the cinema has had no more than 15 people each time, once as low as 7 and thats with it raining outside.

the whole thing is extreme greed and by hiking up the prices they are making sure that they fleece the maximum that they can out of the people who do go often.

it wont go on forever and eventually everyone will get fed up and nobody will go.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Oblivion, Snitch, The White House Is Down, and Hangover 3.

All pretty decent in their own right, Cruise is his usual self in Oblivion, won't win him any Oscars but enjoyable.

Snitch sees The Rock in a pretty sedate role for him, none of the usual over the top beating down on the bad guys, decent enough action film.

I liked The White House Is Down, some real decent acting from a young actress playing the daughter of Channing Tatum and enough action to keep even Arnie fans amused.

Hangover 3 is the least funny of the trilogy and I'd be surprised if they make another one but still worth a watch.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

the three stooges - 'kin ell, i just dont know what to say about this one. it should have been so, so, so, bad, but in a way if you are in the right frame of mind for a stoopid, stoopid film, then you will like it.

i remember watching the black and white original 3 stooges stuff on channel 4 when i was a kid.i know they are/were massively well known and popular in american culture and lots of their little mannerisms, sayings, phrases, skits and schtik have been fondly repeated or tributed in a lot of different series and films. they are regarded as comedy geniuses.

as for this modern film i have no idea how to grade it, my 11 year old laughed at it a lot, i laughed at bits of it (im not very grown up). critics obviously hammered it (what the hell do they know), oh what the hell, its so bad its good, if you like stoopid humour - 7.5/10.

if you watch it now and think its sh1t though, dont blame me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

That Elysium looks ok, might give it a whirl when it comes out on DVD, also it's good to see Austrians getting recognition in films and Niki Lauda is portrayed in that new F1 film Rush having a ding dong battle on and off the track with James Hunt. I can't sit through it though, it will be almost as dull as watching the real thing! :lol: :na:

Now Seabiscuit on the other hand......................... :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

i absolutely love seabiscuit. :-D

what a story. a true triumph over adversity.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Have you tried the Central cinema in Torquay,Chunky? Cheaper all round- and at off-peak times really reasonable prices.Can also obtain a membership which reduces the prices further.They also show one kids film each week(usually one that's been out a while),at half-price with drink and pop-corn thrown-in!
Okay,its facilities aren't as good as the Apollo but its comfortable and friendly.
Sweets and drinks expensive-but I stock up at the £1-00 shop beforehand!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Have you tried the Central cinema in Torquay,Chunky? Cheaper all round- and at off-peak times really reasonable prices.
Only downside to this is they do not cover orange wednesdays
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Have you tried the Central cinema in Torquay,Chunky? Cheaper all round- and at off-peak times really reasonable prices.Can also obtain a membership which reduces the prices further.They also show one kids film each week(usually one that's been out a while),at half-price with drink and pop-corn thrown-in!
Okay,its facilities aren't as good as the Apollo but its comfortable and friendly.
Sweets and drinks expensive-but I stock up at the £1-00 shop beforehand!

i havent been to that one for quite a while, probably since it was an odeon. i have had every intention of using it, as it would still work out cheaper to drive to torquay and pay for the car park than to go to the apollo/vue. although "super saver tuesday" is quite good, but still not as cheap as the central on a normal day. i cant use "super saver tuesday" very often though because tuesday is one of my busiest work days and evenings.

i checked out the central's prices etc a while back on their website and was well impressed. the thing i dont get is, if they can afford to do it cheap, why cant others even try.

the only problem has been that there arent as many screenings of films, so what has happened is when im not working and have had time to go to see a film, the torquay central hasnt been showing it. that happened with percy jackson.

believe me though i will use the central given the chance. it would be nice to go to a proper cinema again. :)
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

I'm surprised the Apollo allows their manager to do reviews of latest film releases in the Herald Express as she often says they're cack! Hardly conducive to getting more people through their doors.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

=D yeah, ive read a few. not a very good sales pitch really. she doesnt exactly entice people to watch many films, you would have thought if it had an effect on your companies business, you would lie through your bloody teeth, as all good salespersons do.

unless she is looking for a full time career as a film critic, but it is only the herald at the end of the day.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

The Magnificent Eleven - what can i say, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. it was about a local football team who are going to fold because of no money, no sponsership and no interest. there are parts of the story which was meant to be based on the premise of the magnificent seven. :|

i am finding it hard to explain what it was all about so here is a summary from a review site -
A modernization of the classic western in which the Cowboys are a struggling local amateur soccer team, the Indians run a nearby Tandoori restaurant and the bandits are a group of menacing thugs led by a maniac known simply as 'American Bob'.

there are some nice little interwoven touches and moments of morality but the acting was shocking, especially from the more well known faces. i know they were going for something a bit hammy and it wasnt supposed to be serious, but it was also a bit boring and slow. :no:

the football bits were worse than jossies giants on their worst day, and even though that was on purpose i found it uncomfortable to watch, because even a really bad sunday league team would not play or behave like that. im trying to convince my lad football is a great game for christs sake. :(

this film had sean pertwee, keith allen and robert vaughn in it, as well as a few other well known faces. it should have been much, much better. 5/10.