Away End For Home Fans Poll

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Would you like to see Home fans using the current Away end?

Poll ended at 27 Oct 2010, 16:03

Yes.
50%
No.
7%
Indifferent.
4%
I would use it.
21%
I wouldn't use it.
18%

Total votes: 68

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Away End For Home Fans Poll

Post by Southampton Gull »

Would you like to see the Board implement the use of a section of the away end for home fans.

You can use a second vote to say if you would use it or not.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

No brainer

Histon playoff semi final would clearly show this is the way to go!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Richinns wrote:No brainer

Histon playoff semi final would clearly show this is the way to go!

I agree, obviously, if we can show that the majority are in favour of the idea then they might act positively.

See you in there, Rich ;-)
Dave

Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Not sure. I agree in a pefect world it would make sense to have home fans behind both goals - but i'm not sure how practical it is. If it was to be divided, the 'dividing line' would have to be a temporary structure, as for large Away followings we'd have to give them the whole thing. If people grew accustomed to being in there, but had to move everytime a team brought a decent following, would that be well recieved?

Ideally, we'd have the whole thing, and accomodate the 'Away' fans at the Babbacombe end of the pop - but this would cause problems in terms of access to Boots at HT... Not a simple decision.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I'm not sure that splitting the few of our fans who sing at home games would improve the atmosphere. You certainly wouldn't get all those who like to sing going in there. Some of us like to actually watch the game, something which is next to impossible from behind the goal. I have voted against it and would definitely not be relocating from the pop if it did happen, and I'm sure the others I stand with wouldn't either, so that's 5 singers you've lost just to start with.

The much quoted Histon atmosphere isn't exactly a realistic example, this was a play-off semi-final, of course there was a good atmosphere! Not sure the same would happen for a bog standard league game against the likes of Morecambe, and for any "big" game the away end would be full of opposition fans.

As for the great atmosphere generated by the drummer: no arguments from me, he does an amazing job and improves the atmosphere immeasurably, but how many home games does he get to (this isn't a criticism, I know he lives a long way from Glorious Devon), only one so far this season I think?

I'm happy to see the club embracing ideas from the fans though and I reckon this should be given a trial run to see if it makes a difference, but I'm far from convinced.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm the same with Jerry to be honest - Stood right in line with the half way line on the pop is the best view, but I do feel that the atmosphere would be improved somewhat. Especially if some of the people who like to sing stayed in the pop, it could be a real cauldron of noise if it was coming from the away end and the popside..
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Iam 100% behind this,and would suggest with the new grandstand how about putting the away fans in there and giving the whole of the current away to the home fans.

As rich and Dave sg have already mentioned histon play off semi,i was in the away end that night and the atmosphere was awesome,spoke to some friends who were in the family stand that night who said they had never heard the home fans so clear and loud.

The problem with the popside is the noise goes up and out,quite often you have a group in the middle signing a totaly different song ,to the group of fans at the end of the popside with neither realising it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Please! And as quickly as possible! Get the wretched drum and its spotty-faced followers out of the pop. side NOW - and leave it to us moaning old codgers.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

wivelgull wrote:Please! And as quickly as possible! Get the wretched drum and its spotty-faced followers out of the pop. side NOW - and leave it to us moaning old codgers.
I suggest you go take a seat... in the Grandstand

But we do need a better drum. :)
GirlOnATerrace
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by GirlOnATerrace »

I wouldnt mind having the away fans behind the goal. The new grandstand for torquay fans, move the popside to where the current family stand is and then move the family stand seats to the popside. Just my way of thinking i suppose. Never gonna happen lol.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I personally say no to the idea. A lot of, if not all, pop singers will go there, the pop will look so empty! I stand near the goal (by the family stand) in the pop and we need the singers to start us off then we get a atmosphere going. In my opinion if they open the away stand to home fans, the main singers will go there and there will be less of a atmosphere from TUFC fans.

Yes agaisnt Histon it was brill! But there was something on that game. And also it was because the crap support by the Histon fans.

Anyway that is my opinion.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Jerry wrote:I'm not sure that splitting the few of our fans who sing at home games would improve the atmosphere. You certainly wouldn't get all those who like to sing going in there. Some of us like to actually watch the game, something which is next to impossible from behind the goal. I have voted against it and would definitely not be relocating from the pop if it did happen, and I'm sure the others I stand with wouldn't either, so that's 5 singers you've lost just to start with.

The much quoted Histon atmosphere isn't exactly a realistic example, this was a play-off semi-final, of course there was a good atmosphere! Not sure the same would happen for a bog standard league game against the likes of Morecambe, and for any "big" game the away end would be full of opposition fans.

As for the great atmosphere generated by the drummer: no arguments from me, he does an amazing job and improves the atmosphere immeasurably, but how many home games does he get to (this isn't a criticism, I know he lives a long way from Glorious Devon), only one so far this season I think?

I'm happy to see the club embracing ideas from the fans though and I reckon this should be given a trial run to see if it makes a difference, but I'm far from convinced.

Jerry, are you actually saying that singers dont watch the game? Or are you saying that you can't see the game from behind the goal? Either way you're wrong. It's long been a tradition that the noise from home fans emanates from behind the goal, Plainmoor being one of the few exceptions.

The Histon game is a totally relevant example, especially as it's the only one we have in all honesty, recently anyway. At very short notice we were able to get three or four hundred behind that goal and you could tell from the players reactions to us that they enjoyed hearing the chants coming from that part of the ground.

You're also missing the point, there ARE plenty of singers in the Popside but the noise just doesn't carry, it totally does in that away end. As Matt reported, Paul Buckle seems keen to do anything to help create a cauldron and in my opinion this would be a great starting point. Stay in the popside with your four friends and hopefully stay singing, if you do, but nobody further than 20 yards away will hear you.

Lastly, you voted against it, but then say you're happy for the club to give it a trial run :?
Dave

Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

I said give it a trial because I'm perfectly capable of admitting I may be wrong. What have we got to lose? Give it a go and if it works, great and if not we think of something else.

You know perfectly well what I was saying about watching from behind the goal, the view is poor which us why you don't see televised matches filmed from this angle. The reason most grounds have their most vocal support behind the goal is simply because it was cheaper to watch from there so the younger fans tended to congregate there.

My point isn't that we create an amazing atmosphere in the Pop or that a better one couldn't be created in the Away End. I just feel that as we don't even half fill Plainmoor, spreading our fans out even more isn't going to help.

As I said, I'm more than happy to be proved wrong, give it a trial and go from there. I'll be there at every home game whether there is an atmosphere or not.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

I think it is one of those each to their own decisions.
A bit like do you prefer going to grounds with seating or terracing. Some people in the popside will remain in the popside because that's what they want to do, but at the same time would like to see other home fans using the away end to generate some atmosphere.

To be honest if the middle lot in the popside moved to the away end and didn't sing any more than they do now, you would notice how much louder it is in there. The popside just kills the acoustics, I notice it with the drum, even though it is loud, it is a thud rather than a nice echo acoustic. Therefore when they sing in the popside now, it just sounds dead and quiet.

Also I can see this being a tactical decision, imagine if you were the away team, and you had to run towards a noisey home end. I know it isn't the Kop or anything, but players have said how daunting it is to play towards the Kop just for the wall of noise.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Awayday wrote: Also I can see this being a tactical decision, imagine if you were the away team, and you had to run towards a noisey home end. I know it isn't the Kop or anything, but players have said how daunting it is to play towards the Kop just for the wall of noise.
I agree fully with you there. I think it would give us a better home advantage in my eyes. I was a huge fan of it for the histon game. I know it was a big game and all.
Playing against a singing fans end would be more harder, sounds odd. But playing in the wlesh prem. I notice it even when its just a man and his dog singing. Its worth a go.

Plus to add to that, the away support is always top quality, and i think we would get simular if not not better support from that end. As it seems tog o dead in the pop as not everyone is up for a sing. The at least the noise will come louder from one end then help get the others going more.