Welcome the new Gaffer

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Boom Boom
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Paul Buckle

Post by Boom Boom »

Bring back Paul Buckle!

All is forgiven!
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Welcome to Torquay, Marty The Fish (c) me.
TUST member 203
NA Gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Howe

Post by NA Gull »

Welcome Martin. Genuinely hope you are a great sucess and shut-up the terminal moaners who come on here with the perma-negative attitude.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Good luck Martin. I look forward to a few signings, maybe an assistant and the pre-season friendlies for a glimpse of the 'Ling Philosophy'.

I actually think it was unfair of the board to name a 'short-list', from which everyone chose a favourite. To then opt for someone completely different - i'm not sure that was very well thought out.

I digress, welcome aboard ML.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well what a complete surprise!! We have just got to trust the Board. Remember they, or more likely a small group of Directors had the benefit of interviewing the candidates. I think the Board have gone for a Manager with good experience at the Orient. Cambridge in my view was a poisoned challice after they lost AGAIN at Wembley to United.
I wonder what Danny Potter thinks of the appointment.
I guess the bookies did well on this one
Good luck Martin.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Until he does something to convince me otherwise, Ling will have my full support as will the entire squad. Let us hope he hits the ground running with some signings.
As for Forster, he seemed like a nice guy who really wanted the job. I hope he finds somewhere soon.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Fonda wrote:Good luck Martin. I look forward to a few signings, maybe an assistant and the pre-season friendlies for a glimpse of the 'Ling Philosophy'.

I actually think it was unfair of the board to name a 'short-list', from which everyone chose a favourite. To then opt for someone completely different - i'm not sure that was very well thought out.

I digress, welcome aboard ML.
Really? I don't recall the board ever coming out with a shortlist. I always thought the Herald Express came out with a shortlist, made up of a few lucky guesses.

Could be wrong, maybe you could point me in the direction of the boards shortlist.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

scottbrehaut wrote: Really? I don't recall the board ever coming out with a shortlist. I always thought the Herald Express came out with a shortlist, made up of a few lucky guesses.

Could be wrong, maybe you could point me in the direction of the boards shortlist.

Here's the link from the official site : http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... 28,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As Scotty correctly points out, the board gave nothing away by putting names on it. So all the speculation has come from bookies/media outlets. :nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Welcome to Torquay United Martin ("Dinger") Ling. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

scottbrehaut wrote: Really? I don't recall the board ever coming out with a shortlist. I always thought the Herald Express came out with a shortlist, made up of a few lucky guesses.

No, i can't 'point you in the direction' of anyhting. I trusted that if they were prepared to name them so confidenetly, the Herald had been notified of who was on the list. It's not my fault if they lied.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Fonda wrote: No, i can't 'point you in the direction' of anyhting. I trusted that if they were prepared to name them so confidenetly, the Herald had been notified of who was on the list. It's not my fault if they lied.
They didn't lie, they used journo-speak.... the shortlist is "beleived to contain" etc etc. The club are not responsible for the stuff that the Herald peddles. Bear in mind also that it wasn't Dave Thomas writing these articles. If it was, i would believe that the shortlist named was the actual shortlist, but if it isn't Dave then the Torquay news is always rushed and not well researched. Probably got half of the names on the shortlist from this board!

Lets not forget they thought Trollope had applied until the O/S said otherwise!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Either way, Ling didn't even appear in the bookies thinking - and they don't miss out on much. For his consideration to have come quite so out of the blue, it probably follows he was a late addition to the 'list'.
monkeyboy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by monkeyboy »

WE'RE RIGHT BEHIND YOU MARTIN. Ignore the numpties who don't understand the meaning of "supporter" and drag the whole club down with their negativity.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Welcome to the club Martin, hope you prove me wrong. No matter what, I will be singing Martin Lings yellow army throughout the season.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Finally we have a manager, no more worrying!

Welcome to United Martin :)
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest