What is the Matter with you People

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

What is the Matter with you People

Post by mlw »

You would have to go a long way to find a bigger load of garbage than has been posted on this site today. Some of you are so detatched from reality it is mind blowing. All of you seem to think that you could do a better job than the current board, but when it comes down to it you would be even worse. The club would be bankrupt in a matter of months because none of you have the slightest idea about finance or budgeting - you only have to read some of drivel written today to realise this.
Just remember that without this board there would be no Torquay United - how do you repay them - by showering them with ridicule and abuse. OK so they are far from perfect, but then are you?
It seems the basic purpose of this site is to be a moaning & winging forum - look at the threads with the most replies, its always the ones that give the greatest opportunity to moan & winge - look at the Scott Bevan thread today, its a classic example.
I posted a new thread yesterday "Patience & Calm" which was an attempt to adopt a more realistic approach to the debate on this site - how many people posted replies - 3. Why - simple because it wasn't about moaning and winging but trying to tell things as they really are. Some on this site seem to exist in some sort of fantasy world where reality dosn't exist.
True supporters follow their club through thick and thin now matter how bad things are - some of you don't deserve to have a club to follow and if you carry on the way are you may yet get your wish.
We live in hard times and we are a cash strapped club struggling to survive and can't afford wages at the level other clubs can pay. If you can't accept that go away and support Manchester United or Chelsea and leave Torquay to the REAL supporters.
Before some idiot suggests it, let me make it perfectly clear that I have absolutely no connection with the board or any member of it. I am a Torquay United supporter of over 45 years and remain proud of the club despite its problems.
Now this really gives you someing to moan & winge about.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Personally, i'm not advocating any unecessary expenditure. I'm fully aware why players haven't been signed yet. I merely want a decision on the manager, because everything else follows on from that. And i seriously can't understand why we weren't interviewing this weekend with a view to recruiting by the middle of this week. It's not an exaggeration to suggest our prospects for next season depend on not only getting the right man, but in getting him quickly enough he can have an influence before the season starts.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Saw your patenice and calm thread,thought it was balanced well thought out and a good post,sorry i did not respond had meant to ,then this whole Bevan thing kicked off.

part of the sucsess of this site and volume of traffic it gets is because everyone's veiw point is welcome reagrdless of how positive ,or negative,all i can say is i agree with a lot of what your saying,however bear with it for the minute,it is entirely understandable why fans are nervous and on edge right now,as we know,our team came so close to sucsess on two fronts,yet finished so far away,then Buckle has left,the two keepers have gone,Branston the fans favourite is out of contract an appears to be off,,the club appear to be taking a long time over the new manager appointment understandable they want to get it right,however most of us fans have realized that one of the three names already mentioned is likely to end with the job,so why not now?Could be the club may have received an application from someone they did not expect,i do not know,thats the likely reason for any delay.

With this bevan saga the club appear to be losing control over the playing side of things,which will only cause more panic amongst fans,i have allways been loyal to the club and positive,i have re-newed my season tickets and allways was going to,however the events of today have nearly caused even me to blow a head gasket,and very nealry have a seriuos pop at the club.

I have feeling a new manager will be in place soon,and squad building will begin from the word go,once fans see this,the dust will settle,and hopefully we will be witness to a new and positive era for the club,for the moment like a say bear with it,it will come right and most fans will be back on side.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Excellent post mlw. :clap: :bow: :clap:

It's customary, but not obligatory, to sign off a rant with "rant over". ;-)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
andygull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by andygull »

Lots of valid points there but i take issue when you say none of us deserve a club to follow. Like somehow you are suggesting that the club has a right to a regular supporter base just because its a football club. If if weren't for 2000 odd fans turning up at Plainmoor week in week out the club would go under. Maybe the board might want to think about this when treating us with apparent contempt on many occasions and blaming their failures on the 'we are only a small club mentality'. There has to be give and take on both sides but like every football club its all pretty much take take take. Then maybe we should all go and watch Premiershite games like Chelsea etc so we don't have to go and buy tickets, programmes, pies and drinks, replica kits etc etc etc for our own club because they don't give a **** about us anymore?
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

mlw wrote:You would have to go a long way to find a bigger load of garbage than has been posted on this site today. Some of you are so detatched from reality it is mind blowing. All of you seem to think that you could do a better job than the current board, but when it comes down to it you would be even worse. The club would be bankrupt in a matter of months because none of you have the slightest idea about finance or budgeting - you only have to read some of drivel written today to realise this.
Just remember that without this board there would be no Torquay United - how do you repay them - by showering them with ridicule and abuse. OK so they are far from perfect, but then are you?
It seems the basic purpose of this site is to be a moaning & winging forum - look at the threads with the most replies, its always the ones that give the greatest opportunity to moan & winge - look at the Scott Bevan thread today, its a classic example.
I posted a new thread yesterday "Patience & Calm" which was an attempt to adopt a more realistic approach to the debate on this site - how many people posted replies - 3. Why - simple because it wasn't about moaning and winging but trying to tell things as they really are. Some on this site seem to exist in some sort of fantasy world where reality dosn't exist.
True supporters follow their club through thick and thin now matter how bad things are - some of you don't deserve to have a club to follow and if you carry on the way are you may yet get your wish.
We live in hard times and we are a cash strapped club struggling to survive and can't afford wages at the level other clubs can pay. If you can't accept that go away and support Manchester United or Chelsea and leave Torquay to the REAL supporters.
Before some idiot suggests it, let me make it perfectly clear that I have absolutely no connection with the board or any member of it. I am a Torquay United supporter of over 45 years and remain proud of the club despite its problems.
Now this really gives you someing to moan & winge about.
i fully understand and appreciate your points, if not so much, they way you are making them.

you are right in much of what you say, but there are a lot of people on this sight who care about our club, so you can't criticise them for voicing concerns, and being worried about whats happening at the club. ordinarily, there is a lot of positivity on here, and when praise, appreciation and congratulations need showing, there is no shortage of it.

just because people have been criticising and questioning some of the things that are going on, it makes none of us any less of a supporter of the club, or less a supporter than your good self. in fact, it just underlines to me, that there are a lot of people who genuinely love and care about the club. it's nothing to do with living in fantasy land. maybe people see things differently, maybe some of us don't really understand the finer details in running a football club, but it doesn't necessarily mean we're wrong.

as a supporter of 45yrs, i'm sure you've seen weeks like this many a time, i know i have in my 30yrs, but despite treating it as "just another day in the life of a torquay supporter", it doesn't make it any easier to swallow.

personally, i'm pleased to see so many comments (the majority of them anyway) from so many supporters, because we all care about the club, and the club is going to need the support of every single one of us going forward, and i for one, will definitely be there, taking the rough with the smooth, and i'm sure you'll be there too. :scarf:
Brady

I Wish I Was There
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Dear mlw

Calm down dear.

This is a forum. Open forums contain all sorts of ill-informed and opinionated crap.

I certainly like to contribute my fair share.

Yours sincerely

Deluded of the Popside
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
SDYellow
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The next scorer

Post by SDYellow »

regiment wrote: in fact, it just underlines to me, that there are a lot of people who genuinely love and care about the club.

personally, i'm pleased to see so many comments (the majority of them anyway) from so many supporters, because we all care about the club, and the club is going to need the support of every single one of us going forward, and i for one, will definitely be there, taking the rough with the smooth, and i'm sure you'll be there too. :scarf:
Well said, I think the opinions of everyone on here are important and it certainly shows the different viewpoints people have.

I do have to agree that i dont like getting on the boards back, as im confident that a competent manager will have enough time to put together a decent squad
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 503108.stm

As mentioned in the above link there are alot of players without a club at this present time and decent players too if disley is worried about finding a club.
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mlw »

Think of my post as less of a rant and more an attempt to widen the debate - I did go back over it and take out all the foul language!!! It is certainly NOT an attempt to decry the many genuine suppoerters out there - just the ones who post consistantly negative comments.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

If I see something that concerns me I'll damned well write about it, if it doesn't fit in with what others want to read then tough. I've seen you mention how long you've been a fan twice now, like it gives you a more creditable point of view. It doesn't and thank God for a platform where you can openly vent your concerns for the Club you love. If you think the current situation we find ourselves in is going to produce a stream of positive summations then I feel it's you yourself that is detached and out of touch with the concerns of fans.

Has it occurred to you that the threads with most replies actually cover topics that concern most fans? People are not stupid, the Club is far from the Utopia you describe and just how long do the Board deserve our total faith and blind commitment for when there is a series of events leading up to where we find ourselves now? I'm grateful for them buying the Club, starting us on the right tracks but it would appear that some of them have done little or nothing else since, content to sit there enjoying a free ride. The deal that Colin Lee was on and still profits from is just another sign that mistakes are being made over and over again.

Am I a whinger, or am I just entitled to my take on what's going on?
Dave

markw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by markw »

Well said Miw , let's all remember the board are recruiting for the most important role within the organisation, get this one wrong and the consequence is too awful to contemplate , just ask Lincoln fans . Yes it is taking longer than all of us would like , yes lots of players have been signed by other clubs , but how many of those deals were done like buckles weeks ago ? Yes we don't have a goalkeeper, nor did rovers until today, yes we haven't got Branston on a new contract yet , but he has been on holiday for a week and would he sign one before he know who the manager was ? I am not sure , same could be said for Stanley .
I would love to see an announcement by the end of this week, but I am sure the successful applicant would want to give themselves a couple of days just to make sure he was happy, as I am positive none of them would know the details of their playing budget before they were interviewed, let alone what their own salary would be. Remember they have to negotiate their own contract , not like most of us who apply for jobs already knowing what the pay is.
If and big if it drags on longer than a week from today then I would start getting very worried, until then we just have to wait .
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

yellow wrote:Dear mlw

Calm down dear.

This is a forum. Open forums contain all sorts of ill-informed and opinionated crap.

I certainly like to contribute my fair share.

Yours sincerely

Deluded of the Popside

Which one ? :|

Relax yellow, it matters not to me whether it's ill-informed, well thought out, opinionated crap or pertinent and to the point, you are always a good read and members of the month don't become members of the month without being a good read. :-D
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
mlw
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mlw »

Southampton Gull

I have made no claims of the club being any sort of utopia or my view being any more creditable than anyone elses - far from it. The current situation is bound to bring out strong opinions on all sides and everyone is entitled to their own view - its what free speech is all about. Reading the posts so far is a positive indication of that - some pro some anti. Thats surely what this forum is about - a place where everyone can voice their opinion. I am new here and am purely putting a personal point of view as is everyone else - I am certainly not trying to impose my opinion on others or saying my view is great and yours is crap, I'm just saying what I think.
As far as the board is concerned just realise that it is the only one we have and there is little likelyhood of that changing whether we like it or not (and many don't).
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Made I larf! Welcome to the asylum mlw!!! :lol:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
allez mons
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Guy Branston

Post by allez mons »

Some great points mlw - however I suppose everyone is entitled to a whinge and/or moan. The thing with sport is that many people see it as a great release and a chance to let off steam. It is immensely frustrating if that sporting interest (in this case TUFC) is falling way short of what is required, albeit OFF the field.
Another thing.........please lay off the "I've supported ....x... for ..x.. years". That is a classic trait of a Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd supporter, trying to justify the fact that they are not glory hunters, who won't support their local team (be it Plymouth, Exeter or TUFC) because "they're crap" - we have all met these tossers in our respective locals. There are 50,000 Chelsea fans who claim to have been watching them for over 20 years when they were averaging 11000!!