Torquay Utd under 18

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
bringbackthecowshed
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Tommy Mitchinson

Torquay Utd under 18

Post by bringbackthecowshed »

Congratulations to the youth team who beat Bridgewater 3-0 to win the League cup at Plainmoor today to complete the league and cup double.

Perhaps this team should start the NLS next season!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Do you want us to get relegated?
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

FFS Bruce, it was a joke. Lighten up.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I enjoyed that game today, the young no 7 who decided to do a booth for the first goal, I think he was more shocked than we were judging by the look on his face, I strongly believe that bridgwater had a ringer in their no 10 , tall and built like a second row forward, supposedcly under 18 but he looked at least 25,
I was sat next to a coach from Bristol rovers development squad who was supposedly running the rule over two bridgwater players but he did say he was impressed by our right winger (no17) and one of our central defenders (no4). which worries me a bit as we cannot sign anyone let alone youth team players.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Magnificent achievement by these young players. I am sure there in talent within the team but Torquay are not re-known for identify potential young players who can progress further in the game. I remember the Plymouth manager at the time saying “He could go and easily sign for a League Two team" when we signed 20 year old Klaid Lolos. And this he did! signing for Crawley Town and becoming their leading goalscorer to take his team into this seasons play-offs. Some may disagree with this after all we did talent spot and bring in 31 year old Duane Ofori-Acheampong towards the end of the season.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:23 I enjoyed that game today, the young no 7 who decided to do a booth for the first goal, I think he was more shocked than we were judging by the look on his face, I strongly believe that bridgwater had a ringer in their no 10 , tall and built like a second row forward, supposedcly under 18 but he looked at least 25,
I was sat next to a coach from Bristol rovers development squad who was supposedly running the rule over two bridgwater players but he did say he was impressed by our right winger (no17) and one of our central defenders (no4). which worries me a bit as we cannot sign anyone let alone youth team players.
"Proper" rugby, or girls rugby?
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 23:16 "Proper" rugby, or girls rugby?
I appreciate you are from yorkshire where equality is a difficult word to spell but I never imagined you were a joey Barton clone.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 09:25 I appreciate you are from yorkshire where equality is a difficult word to spell but I never imagined you were a joey Barton clone.
FYI, I am not from Yorkshire.....
Get a grip FFS...
However, in Yorkshire a Rugby League heartland, "Girls rugby" is Rugby Union.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024

TUST Member 468

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

You big girls blouse. Your team is worse than us 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 11:25 FYI, I am not from Yorkshire.....
Get a grip FFS...
However, in Yorkshire a Rugby League heartland, "Girls rugby" is Rugby Union.....
But women play rugby league too?

Oh wait, you were using ‘girls’ as a pejorative term. I get it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trouble our U18's as we know don't compete at the highest level, so difficult to quantify what level some of them are really at. Sick, tired and frustrated seeing young players with some development potential tossed aside like a dirty rag, Lolos being a prime example only to go and benefit other clubs.

McGavin a first teamer I know, there's a serious player in there with the right guidance, Archer as well, should be looking to keep them at the club, from the youth set up I like both Thomas and Wellington , Havant's performance was nether here nor the there, both Thomas and Wellington were in no way over roared by the occasion and or the big home crowd, Wellington always looking to try and make something happen in the attacking third, of course they aren't forts team starters as yet, however both these lads might have something going forward.
Formerly known as forevertufc
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Don't think McGavin has the pace, workrate or tackling required and he doesn't seem bothered about improving his game to include those attributes and progress his career up the leagues. Obviously very talented on the ball but needs too much time, and hell of a shot but I wouldn't be worried if he left.
Callum Thomas looks very composed and been impressed with his little cameos so far. Good prospect.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Good season from the Under 18s. Hard to tell whether any of them will make it (with us, or elsewhere) but it's encouraging that they are performing well. I'd hope that the new management and ownership do whatever they can to make it easier for players to transition from a youth side to the first team squad.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 12:09 You big girls blouse. Your team is worse than us 😉
Jeez, SG, Wakey aren't that bad! :rofl:

TUST Member 468

AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

McGavin is plenty good enough if he’s playing in a good side, unfortunately we’ve had lightweight Hanson with him, Hall obviously not the force he was, Lapslie injured or a booking waiting to happen..... McG is a real threat from set pieces, be it either delivering a good ball or taking a shot himself. I can hear it next year when a new guy blasts a free kick towards Teignmouth and someone says, McG would have at least worked the keeper!

Lots of players aren’t the quickest but they are good readers of the game, perhaps Johnson’s Stone Age management style didn’t get through to him, a more insightful coach / manager just might.