Taunton Town v Torquay United Tues 16 April KO 19.45.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

A deserved win. We played some good football in the first half and battled well to keep them out after their early second half goal. Good thing they missed that open goal though.
Another to add to the list of most memorable matches I’ve been to in 45 years of watching Torquay.
Yeofan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yeofan »

RedGull1902 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 22:52 Anybody know how many gulls there?
From what I could see, looked about 800 or so ( that's the normal full away allocation )
Green Rory
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by Green Rory »

Well done in the circumstances, but really this club really should be in the Football League competing in League Tw0 at the very least. I'm an Argyle fan but can't get tickets at Home Park. I love the atmosphere at Plainmoor. Come on you Gulls!
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

Job done - during periods of the game I thought we played well. Actually stringing a couple of passes together and getting it wide for Stobbs to run at their RB.

Ash put a real shift in and never stopped running but we miss having a sizeable presence up top to hold the ball up and win duals.

Yellow Army were on form and the atmosphere was great - when things started to get nervy everyone got behind the team and willed them over the line.

Can now put this horror of a season behind us, pray that we get a deal over the line for the club and start forward planning. COYY!!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Did I enjoy the win, no, I aged ten years, the pitch was a cross between the somme and a beach, not condusive to our way of football, after watching the endeavour of the lads last night I am now more than certain that we threw in the towel before the Yeovil and Bath game, we knew we could not compete so just tried to get out of there without getting hammered.
In game 45 of 46 Mcgavin puts in a performance worthy of his talent , besides a very nice goal, in the first five minutes he headed the ball more than I have seen him all season, run far more than normal oh ,and I am sure I actually saw him tackle a Taunton player. As an aside the pasties were very nice.
Now for the first time in months I am actually looking forward to the game on saturday. I would prefer not to see Acheampong ,jarvis, dawson or martin on the pitch, it would show total disrspect to those that have turned up and played week in week out.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I feared that the flabby, plodding Gulls side that we have seen too often would turn out last night. Thankfully the one with spirit and guts that we have seen less often this season showed up. Well done to the players, who gave their all for both halves and particularly during the extra TWELVE minutes where we saw an object lesson in how to play a game out when winning. Well done to the fans who gave immense support at the game.

Last night was hard to watch.. I wish I had gone, I usually do, but I feared losing and being found broken later on the M5 back to Devon. I’m too old for this. My wife left me alone with my IPad watching the stream, she doesn’t get the mental torture of being a Gulls fan. I’m so pleased, and very relieved. Big smiles today.
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

For the first time in weeks I've actually had a decent nights sleep! ... Yes, Torquay United, that's what you do to us!

Was fearing the worst last night even when we went two up... you just knew that it wouldn't be plain sailing... and when they scored the usual text from Jnr came through 'here we go again!'.

But, no, the team we've desperately wanted to see all season left it til the penultimate game to show that they actually DO give a sh!t and held on for that vital win.

And, having put a few quid on that we would win 2-1, it'll be all smiles on the way down to the 'Bay on Saturday to actually ENJOY a game of football at Plainmoor and not even give a monkeys about the result.

This season has been a horror show even by our standards so let's hope that staving off relegation gives the preferred bidder (whoever they may be) an insight into what Torquay United is really about... the fans! I believe without that fantastic support last night we may have crumbled and if it all went wrong on Saturday could have seen us without a team to support next season.

COYY!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

I woke up this morning after a unbelievable dream......I drempt that we played a match with the entire squad putting in a shift, a fantastic performance and a 2-1 win.

I am still rubbing my eyes, did it really happen? A minor miracle.

Yes, I will be there on Saturday hoping to see much of the same. I am so relieved!

I agree do NOT want Dawson, Jarvis etc to take any part in the celebrations, they should leave before or just not turn up....like they have all season.

I would like to see Thomas and under 18 stars given a chance against Havant.

COYY.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Why shouldnt Jarvis celebrate? He cannot play with the knee injury hes got. I'm sure he would love to have been on the pitch.

Enjoy the win no point in looking for something to moan about.

You can see why we coasted through the Bath game. Anymore injuries in that game would have cost us big time last night. Well done to Downes and the players - ultimately a difficult situation was managed well.

It was close but we stayed up and thats all that matters.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Jarvis celebrated with the players in front of the Yellow Army and it he looked as if it did mean something to him !
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Doesnt look like he is giving off signals that he is a player who is intent on leaving. At one point he was berating the referee in the dugout.

Could it be perhaps that he knows who the new owner is.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

THANK GOODNESS :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: I really thought we were domed all day yesterday, What football does to you.
Just hope whoever comes in and takes us over isn’t some …… who throws his toys out when he doesn’t get his own way. But it’s someone who will love the club as much as we all do. It’s going to be the first time in my life that iam glad that the season is at its end. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

United62 wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 08:19 For the first time in weeks I've actually had a decent nights sleep! ... Yes, Torquay United, that's what you do to us!
:bow:

There should be a government health warning against supporting this club. Worse than smoking and more stress than a FTSE executive. :nod:
If only the owners understood the passion of the fans.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

BigDave wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 22:37 Don't wish to be pedantic but if you check you will see that a win and a draw could be enough for Taunton to survive if Eastbourne lose their last match away to Braintree.
Personally ,I would like Taunton to survive in this league not least because its a short away trip and saves on travelling costs for the club and besides it seems they are very close to experiencing what we are going through at the moment.
BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

RedGull1902 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 22:42 Eastbourne have 4 better goals in that case
Not if they lose and Taunton don't. A 5 goal swing would be necessary as Eastbourne will have a better goals scored figure, but that only needs eg 2-0 and 0-3 to be achieved. It probably will require Taunton to win both their remaining games to survive but I was pointing out that a win and a draw could be sufficient for Taunton to survive. With Braintree chasing a top 3 place Eastbourne would be under a lot of pressure away to them in their last game if Taunton manage to beat Weymouth by more than one goal.