Aaron Downes Comments Post Tonbridge.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Aaron Downes Comments Post Tonbridge.

Post by portugull »

I was absolutely gobsmacked when Aaron Downes said "there are clear issues in our goals against column that should have been addressed a long time ago"

This is an extraordinary comment made yesterday in the Post Match Interview that I had to play it again to check I had heard correctly.

All season long we the Fans have said that in defence and midfield we have no shape or structure and as a result we are all over the place and easy to beat.

So Aaron you have 5 days to address the issue with a squad that has zero confidence after shipping 7 goals in the last 2 games.

Your future in the game is at stake in the next 8 games and given the support for the team by the fans I hope and pray that you can get your message across to the players because we are at the 11th Hour now and time is running out fast.

Just concentrate on marking, shape, cover and concentration which so many of our team lack.

Set up not to concede.
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

Gobsmacking comment from a guy who has been here all season. Unless he means we should have signed some defenders who can defend.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

That comment suggests he wanted to address it-probably by getting a couple of fit for purpose defenders in and maybe shipping the likes of Martin, out.The fact that it wasn't addressed leads me to believe the urgently needed and obvious changes required were resisted by Johnson and/or those running the club.
Jpr
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark loram

Post by Jpr »

torregull wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 10:32 That comment suggests he wanted to address it-probably by getting a couple of fit for purpose defenders in and maybe shipping the likes of Martin, out.The fact that it wasn't addressed leads me to believe the urgently needed and obvious changes required were resisted by Johnson and/or those running the club.
Yep I think this as well, I think Johnson May of been a bit hot headed this is why all the players left because it was his way or out.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

The problem is that the defence isnt good enough -we were ripped apart by a bang average team on Saturday.

The goals were pathetic. Look at the third. Tomlinson gave possession away and Halstead is beaten straight over his head. The other goals were no better.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

To be fair, up front is pretty poor too. And to be fair to Downes, these are the players that Johnson signed and again to be fair to Johnson of course he's going to big them up when they were signed, he's hardly likely to come out and say that "this shower of shit is all I could afford". If thatisthe case he should have had the self respect and resigned.
Surely Osboure is the real culprit, Who's decision was it to stay full time? Surely the budget would have been better spent on part time players that are better than what we have now and probably cost a lot less.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I was also surprised that downes came out with the comments he made, although he said what we have all known for most of the season, our defence is no defence, I believe there is only one team in the league who have conceeeded more, but us amateur managers, what do we know, johnson and downes have persisted with the defensive sieve all season, I am convinced we will regret allowing nelson to be released from his loan regardless of it costing us money to keep him, that loan cost will be found to be cheap if it means the differnce between national league south and southern league premier.
What ever happens saturday and lets be honest Downes has very linited options we cannot play three at the back,they do not have the quality, we cannot let mcgavin play in front of the back four, he offers no protection and please put Boyd back in his preferred position at right back. Hall get rid of that tracksuit and get your studs dirty, you would be ideal in front of the defence.
I do not care if we do not score as long as we stop the oppoistion having fun with us and scoring at leisure which is what has happened in the last two games.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

I hear what people are saying about Aaron Downs and his comments. However, I would give him a 'little slack'. Like the rest of us, I am annoyed and not happy with things (understatement of the year). We need to remember he's taking on a huge challenge. Not only is he trying to set the team up and motivate for matches, he'll be dealing with players who want out. These players, will be already looking at clubs / contracts for next season. Further, will they be paid for the remainder of this season. It's a mess and nearly not manageable. What do they know that we don't.

Support the boys, Aaron and managerial team. It may be our only hope.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Nick Potkins wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 17:37 I hear what people are saying about Aaron Downs and his comments. However, I would give him a 'little slack'. Like the rest of us, I am annoyed and not happy with things (understatement of the year). We need to remember he's taking on a huge challenge. Not only is he trying to set the team up and motivate for matches, he'll be dealing with players who want out. These players, will be already looking at clubs / contracts for next season. Further, will they be paid for the remainder of this season. It's a mess and nearly not manageable. What do they know that we don't.

Support the boys, Aaron and managerial team. It may be our only hope.
I hope I did not give the impression that I was moaning about aaron, he has inherited the preverbial poison chalice, both in terms of set up and players how we line up on saturday will say a lot about the man and his ability to change things.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

culmstockgull wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 10:17 I hope I did not give the impression that I was moaning about aaron, he has inherited the preverbial poison chalice, both in terms of set up and players how we line up on saturday will say a lot about the man and his ability to change things.
No mate, not you or anyone. Simply, highlighting the horrible position he finds himself in.