Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond Borough Sat23rd (Devon Day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
OceanYellow7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by OceanYellow7 »

Who questioned my suggestion last week that Hall could not play at centre back ? 🤔
Old brigade done us proud today. Better organised, strong challenges a Big win which not many of us expected.
Well done to all 👏👏
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Just back from a rocking Plainmoor.

At last we saw in the first half a truly committed performance from the Yellows. First to the ball, committed in the tackle, fighting like hell to get the ball back if possession lost and really we did not allow H & R to get any foothold into the game.

The pen was awarded when Brad Ash was fouled and the ref did not hesitate to blow the whistle.

Asa Hall hit it hard and low for a deserved lead at HT

In the second half we were not quite so good but nearly scored a second when Ash turned his man and shot inches over the bar.

The crowd was 3,029 who roared us to a narrow but important win. Thanks to all Pilgrims and Grecians who turned up on Devon Day. Hugely appreciated.
The 50/50 Prize was £1,900 won by a Fan sat near us in Bristows.
He is sure to remember 23 March 2024!!!
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I believe they say you travel more in hope than expectation,that was the view in our car as we navigated the A380, less confident when I saw the team without either of our centre forwards but massively cheered when I realised that Tomlinson would be sitting out the game, watching and hopefully learning whilst our two senior citizens gave a master class of centre half play, well for our level anyway. I thought we were playing for a point with two banks of four but it seemed to work and was certainly not the most boring match I have seen this season, Ash laboured all match without much support but on several occasions turned their defence inside out, I know any number of players could have received the man of the match but for me Boyd was superb throughout.
I hope dawson was the usual 60 minute sub but marshall was looking like he had done his hamstring, if so ,that will be the end of his season, and before we think of playing calamity tomlinson we need to pray that booth can get fit by friday and daniel,play one, rest seven martin can find 90 minutes in him before we release him in june.
I can look forward to the rest of the weekend and next friday I will pray that yeovil have a very off day.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 07:00 Because things were great on and off the pitch during his reign……

Award for the most helpful comment of the season goes to you.
GullsGullsGulls Cannot recall reading your CO and GJ out comments and Give us club back drivel! When we were one kick away from returning to football league!
Maybe you could repost to remind me?
Great result today should go some way to securing our place in this league next year. If we still have a club.
Dave I appreciate your comment. at least it has an opinion with some thought. Which is more than can said for some of the other comments.
Afterall is supposed be a Torquay Fans forum.
Personally, as much as CO was invested in Torquay for one thing. I would still rather have his money and not be in the mess we are in at the moment.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 19:25 GullsGullsGulls Cannot recall reading your CO and GJ out comments and Give us club back drivel! When we were one kick away from returning to football league!
Maybe you could repost to remind me?
Great result today should go some way to securing our place in this league next year. If we still have a club.
Dave I appreciate your comment. at least it has an opinion with some thought. Which is more than can said for some of the other comments.
Afterall is supposed be a Torquay Fans forum.
Personally, as much as CO was invested in Torquay for one thing. I would still rather have his money and not be in the mess we are in at the moment.
I’m not entirely sure what point you are trying to make. I think most fans were content with CO and GJ whilst things were going well on the pitch. Similarly most fans lost patience with both over the subsequent couple of years. That’s called being a football supporter - opinions are allowed to change!

I don’t think I ever used the phrase ‘give us our club back’, but given CO decided to drop the club in the sh*t (and let’s be clear, he did it because of losing his stadium plans not because of the fans), I do believe we are better off without.

For the record, my post did give an opinion, that your post was completely unhelpful, which I stand by.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Here at Wembley 'it's just like watching Torquay ' 😃
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

Big win - 7 games to go and it’s in our hands. Just hope we don’t take it down to the last day 🙏🙏
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Minnapolisgull - do you seriously think this would have ended up any different with Osborne in charge. This is a bloke who had zero interest in football. Always going to happen sooner or later. If you think otherwise you are delluded.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

GULL 67 wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 19:57 Here at Wembley 'it's just like watching Torquay ' 😃
We were at Plainmoor and the closest we have played like Brazil (well nearly!)...…..but it was an all round performance in front of a big crowd and well deserved three points.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

OceanYellow7 wrote: 23 Mar 2024, 18:40 Who questioned my suggestion last week that Hall could not play at centre back ? 🤔
Old brigade done us proud today. Better organised, strong challenges a Big win which not many of us expected.
Well done to all 👏👏
That was me, just merely expressed an opinion, having seen the last experiment to try and turn an aging midfielder into a CB under Buckle, with Chris Hargreaves turn out to be such a miserable failure, and factoring in Asa Halls lack of match time didn't think it would work, however over the years I've never had a problem admitting when when my opinion was wrong, and to be fair in this match Hall at CB worked really well, certainly added to the team rather than taking anything away.

Totally agree with the rest of your post.
Formerly known as forevertufc
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Thought we were excellent first half, obviously second half we didn't want to push forward too much and get caught. Stobbs put over some good crosses, shame Jarvis wasn't in there. I do think we need to show a bit more anticipation and attack the crosses better though. Defence was very solid, our better performances and results this season have come when we have played a back four. The players seem happier with it . Marshall plays very well at right back and should stay there
Hopefully he and Dawson are fit for Friday and Jarvis will be back - any news Skillsy !?
If so and we play like yesterday we may have a chance of nicking something - ok I'll stop dreaming.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Don't think I've ever walked away from Plainmoor feeling so relieved, having seen the team win a game they simply had to win, against one of the form teams in the division right now.

I've been critical of the so called 'old guard' all season, and I believe rightly so, they would have cost the club a lot of money to retain, and overall during the season to date, don't think the club has had value for money in this area, however it does have to be said, yesterday when it really counted, Dawson, Hall and Moxey their professionalism, Experience and quality made the difference in this game.

Even though Hampton did miss two absolute sitters in this game, thought Hall and Moxey were two rocks at the back for us, maybe helped by Hamptons more direct style of play particularly in the first half, TUFC had good possession and certainly didn't lack any fighting spirit that's was missing v Taunton, but there was no real cutting edge upfront.

Stobbs looks like he's once again got the bit right between his teeth, Hampton struggled to contain him and he had them for pace, my on criticism, which might be unfair was the crossing into the box, we saw a lot of crosses and to be fair they were going into good areas, however with no Jarvis and no DOA we didn't have 'that' type of player on the pitch, so that tactic didn't make much sense to me, thought the ball needed to come into to feet a bit more, and the one time it did, the reward was a penalty kick.

Not a lot say about the second half, Hampton play-off chasing and on the back of 4 wins and draw were always going to come out and have go at it, credit to Downes and Herrera, we had a good defensive shape in the second half, we didn't try and flood numbers forward chasing a second goal as we'd seen so many times under GJ only to fail, and at times it was backs to the wall, especially in the later stages, but what we saw was a goal line clearance from Moxey, Yellow shirts blocking, and defending like their life depended on it, we saw our team dig in and close out the game.

When your in a relegation scrap, that's exactly how it's done.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

You have to wonder what Herrera brought to the party,,,
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

He bought the jelly babies.
OceanYellow7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by OceanYellow7 »

Dave wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 09:24 That was me, just merely expressed an opinion, having seen the last experiment to try and turn an aging midfielder into a CB under Buckle, with Chris Hargreaves turn out to be such a miserable failure, and factoring in Asa Halls lack of match time didn't think it would work, however over the years I've never had a problem admitting when when my opinion was wrong, and to be fair in this match Hall at CB worked really well, certainly added to the team rather than taking anything away.

Totally agree with the rest of your post.
Total respect for your reply.
It was a tongue in cheek comment only.
Let’s all hope Asa can keep Nouble quiet on Friday he will be facing a much sterner test for certain.
A repeat performance would be wonderful. I am looking forward to attending and bringing home a point prior to the visit of WSM. COYY