Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond Borough Sat23rd (Devon Day)

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Torquay United v Hampton & Richmond Borough Sat23rd (Devon Day)

Post by Dave »

Gone with this one early as title says, we have Devon Day at Plainmoor Saturday, it is reported that a number of both Plymouth and Exeter supporters are coming in support of our club, what sort of numbers who knows, and while we are all thankful and grateful to any fan from another club that lends their support to us, I must make the point here, it's not up to them, to do the work to save our club. It is 100% down to us TUFC fans to turn up in numbers here and help save our own club, if other fans see us making the effort, they'll be back, if they don't, they won't, that simple.

It was reported back by a number of fans at Tonbridge Saturday that our team turned up in their cars Saturday and not on a team coach, well this sums it up, and a certain poster who still try's to paint Clarke Osbourne out as a white knight, well for you know who this tells CO is 'not' still paying the bills , and we truly are down to essential operating costs only, like wages etc.

Can you forgive the last two results ? If so please attend the game, if not at least consider buying a 'ghost ticket' it will all help.

I just can't put my finger on a reason for last week, why the fight and passion v Aveley/Weymouth and Dartford has disappeared, and last week saw us pick no points at a whimper, with a whopping great -6 goal difference, maybe Downes hasn't done the best job of taking the pressure off, or maybe Downes has put them too far into some comfort zone, these players can perform better. For me, it's not down to the team losing the last two games it's the manner.

Over the last few seasons us Gulls fans have taken a mental beating, we're pretty much all feeling the same, we all want this season just to end now don't we, however we've landed in another relegation dog fight, and this one really must be overcome as I believe the Southern premier south awaits us, again my appeal as much as, not many of us want to, we need to stick with these players, Downes and the club, unless new ownership rock up, and soon, this squad, the interim manager is all we've got, back them, or we defiantly will go down.

Unfortunately we face one this divisions inform teams Saturday, with 4 straight wins and draw from their last 5 games, now looking a shoe-in for the play-offs, going to be a difficult afternoon, Hampton will be a mountain to climb, but one we can climb if the team get themselves together.

Sadly for me think we'll come up short, I really want the biggest egg in the face here.

TUFC 1 V 3 Hampton.
Formerly known as forevertufc
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

There might be no option, but if the clubs sticks with its current squad it'll have as much chance of avoiding relegation as the Titanic had of missing an iceberg!!
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

I really don't want to go. Stuck in the pits of despondency and despair. But I'll be there.

This is a must win game for me. Pack the midfield keep it tight at the back and then try to win it last 20 mins.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

Would it be a good idea to put all the Plymouth and Exeter fans in the away end together?............ At least we might see some fight and passion :)
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Dave I do wonder if the players were so shocked that they had to drive to the game in their owns cars that it brought home to them the enormity of the task before them given their very poor form.

2 wins in 16 for a Full Time Professional Team shows beyond doubt that something very wrong is going on behind the scenes and we the Fans will be the last to know.

Sadly like you I can only see a defeat and I think for the first time this season I predict 1-3 loss for the Gulls.
cockneycockers
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by cockneycockers »

Hampton & Richmond are a very good side at this level and beat us at a canter earlier in the season when we were “good”.
Ben Seymour, (Exeter, Plymouth Parkway, Bideford) their striker, was excellent and I worry for our defence with him on form. He was signed by Mel Gwinnett (Exeter) who dragged him up to Hampton from Plymouth Parkway.
Can we have them both down here next season please?
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

We’re trying to implement a new style of play totally different from the way we’ve played for about 3 seasons. Unfortunately the playing out from the back is so pedestrian and with no players giving them options, that by simply pressing them it ends up with the ball given away or headed into midfield where it becomes a 50/50 ball. Pressing players that close to the goal means there is no covering player and so a mistake will lead to an attempt at goal, sound so obvious really.

Dartford weren’t good enough to exploit it, the last 2 teams have been. Conversely, hoofing it upfield is meat and drink to most teams in this or any nearby division. Sounds simple, but why can’t we zip it around quicker, we know most teams here can’t cope or will run out of steam chasing down. The answer seems to be most of our team simply aren’t good enough technically or creatively. I agree with another poster, Mcgavin is a decent footballer, but he needs someone else to do the donkey work and make those intelligent runs for him to pass to.

I hope we can have Booth, Marshall centre and then Moxey at left back, Dawson, Archer, Lapslie and Mcgavin in midfield looks so good on paper. Duane and Ash upfront to be replaced by Jarvis and moving Archer upfront?

Hopefully supporters realise it’s more important to get numbers through the gates on Saturday, how short we are on paying this months bills are we? If only someone with a connection and money could donate 50k, it would help. Seem to remember Helen Chamberlain was rumoured to have gifted us £50k to buy a player years ago. There must be someone who supports us, who maybe can’t afford to buy us but could give a a decent sum to get us through the next month or two.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 19:42 There might be no option, but if the clubs sticks with its current squad it'll have as much chance of avoiding relegation as the Titanic had of missing an iceberg!!
Not much choice seeing as we are now in a transfer embargo.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I have not given up the ghost just decided to be a ghost supporter. As i will be purchasing a ghost ticket and will be there in spirit I guess that entitles me to give a predication. The team need to change tactic's fast. They players are not as good as they think they are and need to stop playing possession-oriented Tiki-Taka. Allowing Tomlinson the opportunity to retain possession and maintain control in the build-up from our box is a disaster waiting to happen. The midfield multiple triangles and diamonds has to stop as for this to work each player has to have at least two passing options on the ball, we fail to have even one. On top of this our forwards do not have the skills of opening up the oppositions defensive block. So I just hope we go back to basic's with a 4-4-2 formation to create a strong, compact shape that offers a balance between defence and attack.

Scoreline - who knows? but I can never say Torquay will lose so its:

TUFC 2 - 0 Hampton
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

TUFC 1 - Hampton 2

I just hope I’m wrong!
PainInTheGULLiver85
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PainInTheGULLiver85 »

Heart over head says 2-1 win.

I’d like to see a battling performance 4-5-1 in defence and 4-3-3 in attack. Narrow back 4 and the experienced trio of Asa / Dawson / Lapslie in midfield for at least 60 mins and bring on mcgavin later. Get Stobbs and Ash to support Jarvis. An early goal will get the crowd on side and hopefully argyle and city can be friends for the day
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

1-5
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

3-2 home win
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Osgoodisgood
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Osgoodisgood »

Torquay 0 Hampton 3
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Dave wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 19:18It was reported back by a number of fans at Tonbridge Saturday that our team turned up in their cars Saturday and not on a team coach, well this sums it up, and a certain poster who still try's to paint Clarke Osbourne out as a white knight, well for you know who this tells CO is 'not' still paying the bills , and we truly are down to essential operating costs only, like wages etc.
Aaron Downes came over and spoke to some of us before the game. He said that because of the M25 closure the cost of a coach was about the same as a hotel. They asked the players which they’d prefer and they chose cars plus hotel rather than coach. So the club still found the cost of travel but for hotel not coach.