Tonbridge Angels v Torquay United, March 16 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

I’d go with;

Halstead
Boyd Marshall Booth Martin
Jenkins-Davies Lapslie Dawson Archer
Ash Duane

Moxey looks a little slow these days, Martin is quicker (although not as good a pedigree as Moxey). Jenkins-Davies and Archer would give more miles in the midfield engine room. Duane deserves a start, could provide nod downs for Ash and in any case Jarvis may need to recover from injury. Stobbs on the bench with Hall, Booth, Jarvis and Lovett would provide some options.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 08:36 Our luck ran out/teams stopped giving us undue respect.

A combination of picking up points in earlier games where we were totally outplayed, and a very close league gave us a false sense of security.
Absolutely spot on,in the 1st 10-12 games of the season, how many of those was Halstead our MOTM?, I remember Braintree at home,we won but it wasn't convincing in the slightest, any fan who thinks deep down that we were good in those games is either deluded, in denial or they need to call somebody, Yeovil at home was the real clincher, they looked streets ahead of us that night..This decline has played out right before our eyes, the break up of a really good team that so nearly got us back to the EFL, and GJ filled it with inferior quality,piss poor management, loanees who 9/10 don't work out, combined with CO and his cronies behind the scenes, what a shambles...I feel sorry for Dean Moxey, still very wholehearted when he plays, a real pro, to end his career this way, it doesn't seem right.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Just noticed DaSilva and Duku scored for Wealdstone yesterday..!!!

Also hope Tonbridge can do us a favour and hammer Truro next Saturday ..this being one of Truro's FIVE games in hand of us ...wtf !!!
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I also do think we need to go 5-4-1 for ALL games from this point on, set up not to be beaten, I remember Ian Atkins when he was in charge of us, was it dour?, to right it was, horses for courses football, A blanket defense is required, I'd stick with Jarvis upfront though, what I've seen of Duane so far hasn't really installed any confidence or he's our answer..
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

standupsitdown wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 08:21 More or less the same players were in a play off position for the first half of the season.
Since Christmas we have achieved relegation results.
What has changed?
We've been poor all season in a very poor league. Many of our early wins flattered us and we were fortunate to be second. Our position said more about the standard of this division rather than our own abilities. Sadly, despite some experienced players, this team has no fight, leadership, organisation or the nastiness required to win games. The last few weeks should have seen players coming out galvanised, determined, a seige mentality to win games. Unfortunately we have seen most of them do the complete opposite. If we are still a going concern next season, I dont want any of these players here, its needs a compete refresh.
I also don't blame any fan who has had enough and decides to stop going. Its a personal choice at the end of the day.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

I'm now at the stage where I am worried for the future of the club, not if we stay up or not. I agree that performances are a shambles but the players have no idea if they are getting paid this month. I don't want to make excuses but the uncertainty is bound to have a big effect.

It's been what, 3 and a half weeks since CO announced he would no longer fund the club. Where are we exactly with finding a new owner as the current situation can't continue for much longer.
There is no way we can continue until the end of the season without new backing. The club could be liquidated any day now and that is reality.
This is my big worry and not if we're relegated or not!
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

It's straightforward - not withstanding the points deduction - as to why this season has been dire.

Two clueless and tactically inept managers even allowing for the fact that Downes appears to be a nice guy.

A load of crocks e.g. Hall, Lapslie, Dawson and a plethora of individuals who are useless , even at this level - Marshall, McGavin and Tomlinson.

On a tangent, it's odd how many 'failures' at this club go onto enjoy blossoming careers elsewhere.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Won't be there next week as the Boy and I are off to England v Brazil. The Boy will be taking his huge Torquay flag. Hopefully we can get it in a prominent position for the TV cameras to pick it up. It would be great if it got a mention by the commentators. You never know, some multi millionaire may be watching 👀
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Skillsy wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 01:07 Mellow......

I fully accept our football team aren't very good at football at the moment, but we all need to pull together. I don't understand why people would abandon ship in our desperate hour of need.

Given that we were nigh on favourites to win this league in August, the season has been a complete disaster. That is an indisputable fact.

I will be there against Hampton....please be there too

Skillsy
I am not deserting the club nonetheless a team playing in the Yellow shirt has to earn my personal support not just expect it. Defeats I can handle - god there has been enough of them over the years - but when respect and admiration has been replaced by irritation and dislike, something has to give. Watching yesterday's horror show was possibly the closest I’ve ever got to experiencing purgatory. You just know something is wildly wrong when you find yourself in the second half betting on which of the yellow balloons on the pitch would reach the half-way line first.

My devotion to the club developed from when I was in short trousers, it's part of the community and runs through my blood so I am unable to abandon them per se. However, I am also not prepared to waste hours of my life on complete dross. So the compromise is that I will be a ghost supporter, will buy a ticket for Hampton game, will be there in spirit just not in person, although the club can put a cardboard cut-out of me in the stand if they wish.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

Fair enough, thanks for replying.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

I certainly agree Saturday has become a difficult day, used to love seeing the ground and that 2.55 feeling.

Can't blame anyone for not wanting to waste their Saturday, but am also very aware we may be able to count the last remaining Torquay United matches in it's 125 odd year history, on two hands.

So I've got to go, even to Yeovil away which will be a really unpleasant afternoon I'm sure.
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Willowgull »

Totally agree with you Taelee 73, go while you can. No takeover and we WONT see end of the season.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

We have been poor all season, but we seem to have completely fell apart since Donnelan left. Who's decision was it to let him go?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Brewers boy wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 15:31 We have been poor all season, but we seem to have completely fell apart since Donnelan left. Who's decision was it to let him go?
His.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468