Tonbridge Angels v Torquay United, March 16 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Still it's not all bad news..if this continues we'll be able to travel to the likes of Tavistock.. Exmouth and Bideford as well some other unknown grounds at this rate next season!!!
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

That's true mate. Buckland away will be easy to get too, Harburtonford may be a bit more tricky.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

My thoughts are as follows.

While I accept George Edwards may have a big part to play in a transition to a new owner. His presence does not help right now and detracts from the football.

The Aaron Jarvis miss with only the keeper to beat early on should have put us one up.

Brett McGavin offers little, a luxury player who we can't afford. Beaten time and time again and bossed off the ball.

The three center-backs don't work. To me, it is one center-back with two narrow fullbacks. If you stop the highlights a few times, you will see a disconnect. Never in a line or close enough. Simple basics.

Lots of very unhappy supporters at the end, as the players walked off just to the side of us. Special mention to the travelling fans. Who turned up in their numbers again.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

At least we could play Plymouth next season...Parkway that is. So sad you could cry.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

In Downes post match interview he is honest enough to admit that our away form hasn’t been good enough all season - something Johnson would never have said. Similarly he is honest enough to say that he needs to reflect and accepts responsibility for that defeat - something Johnson would never had said. But when he says he will look to install “fight, passion and commitment” into the team, you have to wonder what happened between Tuesday’s abysmal defeat to Taunton and today’s abysmal defeat to Tonbridge? If he couldn’t manage to do it in the last 4 days - then what makes him think he can do that now???

I’m sorry to say, but although Downes says “all the right things” by apologising to the fans, time and time again, he is simply not up to the job. As I have posted previously, now is the time to “scrap” for points by making us hard (as we can be with this lot!) to beat in every game by first and foremost trying not to concede! It appears that today we were (yet again!) far too open and Tonbridge just picked us off time and time again by counter attacking us at every opportunity and exposing our obvious defensive frailties!

Just one more thing, I know Asa Hall probably realises that his playing career is coming to an end and he may be hoping that if Downes and him enjoyed some success he might be able to secure a future for himself at the club in management- but the reality is that we, as a club, need his influence more on the pitch than as an “assistant manager” at this moment in time and the time has come for him to contribute ON the pitch rather than OFF it - even if it means him playing as a Centre Half - which I reckon he might be suited to - let’s face it he surely couldn’t do any worse than the present incumbent(s) ?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Jarvis should have scored early one but apart from the goal that was the only real chance we created.
We had a lot of the ball and if it weren’t for our appalling defence a draw should have been the result.
A good number of Torquay fans there (200 or so?) but strangely quiet.

And I agree that Hall should have played a part on the pitch today.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

CP Gull wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 20:20 In Downes post match interview he is honest enough to admit that our away form hasn’t been good enough all season - something Johnson would never have said. Similarly he is honest enough to say that he needs to reflect and accepts responsibility for that defeat - something Johnson would never had said. But when he says he will look to install “fight, passion and commitment” into the team, you have to wonder what happened between Tuesday’s abysmal defeat to Taunton and today’s abysmal defeat to Tonbridge? If he couldn’t manage to do it in the last 4 days - then what makes him think he can do that now???

I’m sorry to say, but although Downes says “all the right things” by apologising to the fans, time and time again, he is simply not up to the job. As I have posted previously, now is the time to “scrap” for points by making us hard (as we can be with this lot!) to beat in every game by first and foremost trying not to concede! It appears that today we were (yet again!) far too open and Tonbridge just picked us off time and time again by counter attacking us at every opportunity and exposing our obvious defensive frailties!

Just one more thing, I know Asa Hall probably realises that his playing career is coming to an end and he may be hoping that if Downes and him enjoyed some success he might be able to secure a future for himself at the club in management- but the reality is that we, as a club, need his influence more on the pitch than as an “assistant manager” at this moment in time and the time has come for him to contribute ON the pitch rather than OFF it - even if it means him playing as a Centre Half - which I reckon he might be suited to - let’s face it he surely couldn’t do any worse than the present incumbent(s) ?
Hall may not be able to play centre half but with his experience he could make a good job of playing in front of the back purely as cover, dont expect him to run about, just do a moxey and spot the danger,because with the two centre halfs we persist with we are goung down.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

3 “centre backs” is NOT working and Tomlinson should not start another game until he gets the basics in place.

This is absolutely dire.

Try something like this

Halstead
Boyd Marshall Booth Moxey
Stobbs Lapsie Dawson Ash
Jarvis Duane

I’ve lost track who’s fit and who’s sidelined
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

Was going to travel with daughter from Sussex to see the Hampton game next week ! Not now if they cannot be bothered then after 52 yrs nor can I!!!
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

That's me done for the season - I can't take it anymore. Let's put this into perspective. Tonbridge have a nice little set up for a semi-professional club and sit mid-table for a reason. They were raw and pacy but tactically inept and yet they put 4 goals past us. Tomlinson will get a lot of flack but what chance did he have with a back three consisting of two narrow fullbacks who don't have pace - we were so open you could have driven a bus through the gaps.. Spending 70% of the match making pretty triangles in midfield does not win matches unless you have an end product. Their goalkeeper did not have to make one save (aside from the golden opportunity Jarvis missed) because we were just clueless in the final third. Even our goal was because their defender turned his ankle leaving Ash the opportunity to run through for the goal. I have witnessed two of the worst consecutive matches I care to remember. We are currently still a full-time professional set up and we are being well and truly hammered by semi-pro teams. Johnson has gone so Downes must now be the remaining weakest link. I will put my hand in my pocket to save the club but refuse to be subjected to anymore of the worst display's in Torquay's history, if only to reduce my personal stress levels. Not sure how the match will look on the highlights as we had a lot of possession with pretty midfield triangles but don't be deceived we were pathetic an absolute disgrace.

edit: to rub salt into the wounds Ryan Hanson was voted MotM.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

Mellow......

I fully accept our football team aren't very good at football at the moment, but we all need to pull together. I don't understand why people would abandon ship in our desperate hour of need.

Given that we were nigh on favourites to win this league in August, the season has been a complete disaster. That is an indisputable fact.

I will be there against Hampton....please be there too

Skillsy
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

Skillsy wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 01:07 Mellow......

I fully accept our football team aren't very good at football at the moment, but we all need to pull together. I don't understand why people would abandon ship in our desperate hour of need.

Given that we were nigh on favourites to win this league in August, the season has been a complete disaster. That is an indisputable fact.

I will be there against Hampton....please be there too

Skillsy
Really! I've supported this team for over 50 years and like Mellow I've had enough. These bunch of so called professionals can't even rouse themselves to save the club from the threat of relegation to the Southern League. Losing consecutive games by a combined score of 7-1 to two part time teams is an absolute disgrace. None of them are fit to wear shirt. They just don't care.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Must admit I feel like Guildford and Mellow
still so angry at that 'performance'
If the players can't be assed why should I ?
but I am supporting the club not them ,none absolutely none of whom or the manager I want to see here next season. That was the reaction to Tuesday night was it ?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

More or less the same players were in a play off position for the first half of the season.
Since Christmas we have achieved relegation results.
What has changed?
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

standupsitdown wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 08:21 More or less the same players were in a play off position for the first half of the season.
Since Christmas we have achieved relegation results.
What has changed?
Our luck ran out/teams stopped giving us undue respect.

A combination of picking up points in earlier games where we were totally outplayed, and a very close league gave us a false sense of security.