Staying Up - Relegation Battle

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

TommyGunn wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 15:25 A Notice of Intention to put the club into administration was served on 22nd February and a further NOI for another period of 10 business days was lodged on 7th March.
It's all gone very quiet.
That means the extension expires on Thursday. I believe that means either the club has to say it's found a buyer or it enters administration.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

standupsitdown wrote: 19 Mar 2024, 09:27 Important match tonight, Truro v Eastbourne (at Gloucester).

Given that Truro have the same points as us but 5 games in hand I think we want them to win.
If Eastbourne win they'd only be a point behind us.

Of course if we don't gain at least 6 and probably about 9 points, then there's not much point at looking as other results as we'd be very likely to go down.
Truro’s game was abandoned tonight due to a player requiring an ambulance. Obviously hope he is ok as it sounded serious.

That being said, Truro really needed to get this game played tonight as they are facing a major backlog as for Taunton.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Taunton lost to Chippenham tonight.
Now only 3 games in hand on us and a point behind.
Hopefully their two wins (Worthing & us) were flash in the pan and they're back to losing form again.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Taunton result great for Torquay, but as they always say you can't rely on other teams.

The Gulls have got to improve dramatically and try and pull away from the others around them.....Starting this Saturday COYY
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Yes we can't rely on other teams. We will have to get points ourselves.

Whilst Tuesday's abandoned match doesn't help Truro, leaving them with yet another game to fit in, it may not be good for us as when Eastbourne play at Truro they will be in a run of many games within a short time, so Eastbourne more likely to win. As it stands Eastbourne not gaining points is better for us than Truro. Of course us beating Truro would be of more benefit.
xeon
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by xeon »

You just know its going to go to the wire, dont you? We'll be relegated 30 mins into the Havant game, only to survive on goal difference come the final whistle (or some other bizarre twist of events).

I say that as 5 away games in 8 ..... and away form is shocking.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Truro face a huge challenge to stay up given their schedule of matches.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68630567
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

torregull wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 09:55 Truro face a huge challenge to stay up given their schedule of matches.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68630567
One would expect Truro will drop points as a result but with all those games they'll probably pick up enough to stay up.
Unfortunately they still have to play Dartford twice, plus Eastbourne, and Truro's fixture congestion will make it easier for these teams to beat them - and they are the two we have most chance of staying above.
Of course we have to play Truro too - and Taunton who have almost as many games to play.

It's a strange bottom of the table.
Bottom four there on merit.
Next two have loads of games in hand.
Then Torquay who are only there due to points deduction but have the worst current form.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

It is very strange and could look even worse for us after Sat. Hemel Hempstead who are 3 points above us are on a terrible run 1 point in 27 and I'm expecting Dartford to beat them Sat. Hemel still have to play Truro and Taunton away. They seem to have forgotten about rearanging the Truro game? We need to win our games and make sure it's not us. Massive game for us Saturday.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Yesterday’s results have made a huge difference to our chances of staying up.
Thanks to late goals elsewhere we were the only one of the bottom teams to win.
Welling are back in trouble and Hemel aren’t safe either.
With 7 teams still at risk of joining Dover & Havant in the bottom 4, it would seem that about 50 points will be enough for safety.
We need 2 more wins from 7 games, 5 of which are teams in the bottom half of the table.
If it wasn’t for the 10 point deduction we’d be 9 points below the play offs, roughly where we’ve been for some time.
So we are a mid-table team and should be better than those at the bottom.
I’m far more optimistic than I was before yesterday.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

standupsitdown wrote: 24 Mar 2024, 08:47 Yesterday’s results have made a huge difference to our chances of staying up.
Thanks to late goals elsewhere we were the only one of the bottom teams to win.
Welling are back in trouble and Hemel aren’t safe either.
With 7 teams still at risk of joining Dover & Havant in the bottom 4, it would seem that about 50 points will be enough for safety.
We need 2 more wins from 7 games, 5 of which are teams in the bottom half of the table.
If it wasn’t for the 10 point deduction we’d be 9 points below the play offs, roughly where we’ve been for some time.
So we are a mid-table team and should be better than those at the bottom.
I’m far more optimistic than I was before yesterday.
Quite remarkable how the last 5 mins played out yesterday across the main rivals’ games. Probably as good a set of results as we could have asked for.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Could do with Truro beating Dartford on Tuesday
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

I my worry is that Dawson had a major breakdown and is out now for the rest of the season. Anyone know? Marshall hamstring?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

Breaking it down -

Win one of Weston or Havant at home and one of Truro or Taunton away and we should be safe.

But really don't want to go into the last game needing a win or looking at results elsewhere.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Marshall has had issues at the end of several games seemingly with his hamstring but has reappeared in a short space of time so hopefully its a case of ramp or something and not serious.

Yesterdays win was massive and has made a big difference to our chances of staying up. You would think we could win our two remaining home games and and with big support at Truro/Taunton we should be able to get enough points to stay up. Even though we have been poor I would doubt that we will get beaten by the two afoementioned teams twice in a season.