Points deduction

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

From the https://www.tust.co.uk/post/tust-update-the-big-picture

The whole administration process is complex and in addition to the application of Insolvency Law there is a need to consider how the National League also deal with what are known as “Insolvency Events”. We have had guidance from the Football Supporters’ Association (FSA) on the onerous FA / National League rules on clubs which are subject to an insolvency event and we are seeking assurance that prospective bidders are made fully aware of these.

It is our understanding from a strict interpretation of the National League (NL) rules that a 10 point deduction is triggered by any ‘insolvency event’ and an insolvency event includes the serving of a Notice of Intention. We are advised that the NL may have some discretion in this matter. As the club has not confirmed any penalty it is possible that they have reached an agreement with the NL. If a points deduction has been triggered, it is our understanding that this will apply to this season.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

TommyGunn wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 22:13 From the https://www.tust.co.uk/post/tust-update-the-big-picture

...... We have had guidance from the Football Supporters’ Association (FSA) on the onerous FA / National League rules ......
You may think the rules onerous but they are there for a reason as, in the past, a number of free spending and then insolvent clubs wriggled past the old rules without serious sanction to the detriment of those that were trying to balance their books.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Interesting article on the BBC website today, which I've not seen anywhere else (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place!):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68512186
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Ironic Gateman though that we are being penalised yet again because of the actions of these ‘fly me to moon’ rocket clubs. We get beaten time and again by these type of teams with their swelled budget and now because of their reckless actions lo and behold we find ourselves losing out once again.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Dazza wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 20:42 Ironic Gateman though that we are being penalised yet again because of the actions of these ‘fly me to moon’ rocket clubs. We get beaten time and again by these type of teams with their swelled budget and now because of their reckless actions lo and behold we find ourselves losing out once again.
You could easily make the case that we are one of the teams that tried to "fly to the moon". In that 2020/2021 season we clearly had a very competitive budget, evidenced both by the players we brought in (look how many are now at least 2 divisions above!) and the fact that we lost about a million quid that season. The rules are there to prevent exactly this sort of overreach. If anything, the thing that ultimately did us in us the failure to get promoted. It's also worth noting that when we got promoted under Buckle, our budget was probably a lot higher than everybody else.

This is why a responsible owner is required. It's ok if they want to run the club at a loss ( if they can afford to do it); it's the decision to suddenly cut losses that screws over clubs.

If we must lose ten points because it is deemed that we have overextended ourselves in a foolish manner, then it's upsetting, but it's fine; there absolutely should be guardrails to prevent clubs from doing that. it just means that, again, it is the fans that suffer while the erstwhile owners swan off to their next scheme. The list of clubs this has happened to is extensive and we are not unique.

Club owners need to understand that they are custodians of a community asset. Yes, they have the right to make the decisions while they are paying the bills, but they also have a moral obligation (and I think there should be a legal obligation) to ensure that the club is able to continue once they depart.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

I really don't get the sudden decision to go the administration route. Why not just put the club up for sale without the added risk to the football club?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Vick wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 14:12 I really don't get the sudden decision to go the administration route. Why not just put the club up for sale without the added risk to the football club?
Could be two things. Or both;

Osborne didn't want to put any more money in. Doing the notice of intent for administration allows him to say "I'm out" and not have to continue funding it.

Admin (or the threat of it) can focus people. Maybe he's been talking to people about selling the club and didn't feel things were moving along. Doing this makes people make a decision
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

Thanks, happytorq.
Yes, probably the second one, trying to get a quick deal, but it adds more risk to the club, which is unneccessary in my opinion.

The first one is where the suddenness comes in. As owner, Osborne knows exactly what the financial situation is and has been. To suddenly say "I'm out cuz I can no longer afford it" smacks of poor businessmanship, if there's such a word. He should have been able to see the trajectory long ago and done something about it, or offer the club for sale before it became too much for him.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Vick wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 16:01 Thanks, happytorq.
Yes, probably the second one, trying to get a quick deal, but it adds more risk to the club, which is unneccessary in my opinion.

The first one is where the suddenness comes in. As owner, Osborne knows exactly what the financial situation is and has been. To suddenly say "I'm out cuz I can no longer afford it" smacks of poor businessmanship, if there's such a word. He should have been able to see the trajectory long ago and done something about it, or offer the club for sale before it became too much for him.
In the nicest possible way, let's get real, it's number one, because a few weeks back CO was laughed out of the council with his stadium "plans"...again.

Having realised he wasn't going to get what he wanted, and having held his proverbial knife to the club's throat for long enough, he decided to cut it, along with his losses.

The 5m will largely be recouped (if it hasn't been already) through some clever/sneaky use of tax rules, and the rest he will laugh off as an investment that didn't quite come to fruition.

Of course, the cynic in me thinks it also doesn't hurt CO for any future "investments" he makes to know that he'll make good on his (implicit) threat to send the institution he buys to financial oblivion if his demands aren't met..... :whistle:
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

Well it’s happened!! Now we are double trouble!!
Yellow6
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Yellow6 »

And if Taunton and Truro win, at least a few of their games in hand, we are only one place or two above the drop. Desperate times.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

I'd like to know why the owner put us in this position? Did he not understand the rules?

Surely this makes the club less attractive to new owners?

Why did he not try to sell the club first before having this intention to appoint administartors???

Torquay United have been deducted ten points from the 2023/24 National League South table after the club submitted its intention to appoint administrators.

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/na ... ited-80868
Last edited by TommyGunn on 13 Mar 2024, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

TommyGunn wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:29 I'd like to know why the owner put us in this position? Did he not understand the rules?

Surely this makes the club less attractive to new owners?

Why did he not try to sell the club first before having this intention to appoint administartors???
Quite simply he did not get his away and could not care.
He does not care about new owner, he's walked and gets nothing.
We wanted him out and got our wish. Sadly, as I've pointed out before - this was sadly going to be a possible outcome, him walking rather than selling.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Us v Dartford for that last relegation spot i imagine

a big middle finger to CO
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Nick Potkins wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 16:35 Quite simply he did not get his away and could not care.
He does not care about new owner, he's walked and gets nothing.
We wanted him out and got our wish. Sadly, as I've pointed out before - this was sadly going to be a possible outcome, him walking rather than selling.
Correct Nick.
He gambled £4m+, didn't get the freehold and got the monk on.
Good riddance.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468