Potential Buyers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

I don't know what to think of him.

But I have found this post about Smurthwaite and why he got out of Vale.

In April 2014 I was beaten up by three Vale fans outside the ground at Vale Park – I had a serious hiding.

"That is three people out of 4,000 so you have to get that into context, but I lost two teeth and had stitches.

"Some fans turned on my daughter soon after. That has resulted in my son not coming to games and my daughter has to have stewards with her for fear of her own safety.

"No one should have to put up with that.

"Unfortunately the cameras couldn't make out their faces. We beefed up security but I have been looking over my shoulder since that happened.

"The good hiding put me on the back foot and thinking why am I doing this?
TUST_Official
Verified by Admin
Verified by Admin

Post by TUST_Official »

This is a brief statement by TUST to inform you of what we have been doing over the past week or so. We hope that you will understand why much of this has been of a confidential nature and will continue to be so for the time being.

TUST has held conversations with a number of prospective owners, some of whom have been the subject of speculation and others who have not. Some of these have formally expressed their interest to the Club and signed a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which is why we must respect their right to confidentiality. We have, in some cases, put individuals in touch with each other with a view to forming consortiums. We have been exploring all options and continue to do so.

However, we have been informed by our advisers that to say more at this stage could breach protocols and jeopardise potential outcomes. We are not able to share further details of any proposals or parties involved at this stage but will do so as soon as we are able. In the meantime please be assured that the TUST board remain dedicated to securing the best possible future for our football club.

We thank you for your patience and understanding
Official Account of Torquay United Supporters Trust
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

The Great Muta! wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 18:13 Interested to hear about your "due diligence" and the findings you found out?, what have you garnered from that?, being serious, I'd like to know...I did a bit of background research myself, and he sounds a nightmare, banning people,BS'ing his way whilst running PV, and accusing Vale fans of being racist....he sounds a complete numpty to be honest with you
Quite easy to find out tbh with the t'internet how it is these days....
And no, I don't mean Wiki....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

On main site

Torquay United FC would like to provide our supporters with a further update on the current situation at Plainmoor, as work on finding new ownership of the Club continues.

Off the field, the Club remains out of Administration but under the continuing protection of an interim moratorium. Meanwhile, preliminary discussions have commenced with interested parties concerning the structure and timing of arrangements which would bring about a change of ownership and stewardship of the Club.

By their nature, these conversations remain confidential. More details can be shared once a clear front runner has emerged and matters are concluded.

As confirmed yesterday, the Club can confirm that ALL player and staff wages have been secured and processed for the month of March, and we would again like to thank all our loyal supporters, in addition to the local community and whole football family for their continued and unwavering support during this testing period.

https://torquayunited.com/ownership-update-21-03-24/
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 15:35 Quite easy to find out tbh with the t'internet how it is these days....
And no, I don't mean Wiki....
I wouldn't go by Wikipedia myself, but searching Norman Smurthwaite/Port Vale fans....trust me on this, it took a few moments to read/scan hundreds of posts about him, a few bad posts here and there you can kinda accept, but not hundreds all pretty much saying the same thing, he's the last thing we need right now
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

To my mind anyone wanting to take over the club and put money in to it can only be an improvement,the fans may not be able to continue funding the club particularly out of season when minds are on other matters.Whatever Norman Smurthwaite is like as a person has no justification for "fans",to beat him up .He has every right to forget about football altogether after that.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

A choice of Osborne v Smurthwaite is like being asked would you rather live under Hitler or Stalin.

Neither appear to have any redeeming qualities.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 19:00 A choice of Osborne v Smurthwaite is like being asked would you rather live under Hitler or Stalin.

I'm no expert and doesn't sound ideal but I guess as an analogy if your on the Titanic and there's one lifeboat available to save yourself you have to take it.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

greb46 wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 19:05 I'm no expert and doesn't sound ideal but I guess as an analogy if your on the Titanic and there's one lifeboat available to save yourself you have to take it.
Or build a new boat yourself. Not very good to start with but gets better with time and it's your boat not owned by someone who may have questionable motives.
Yeofan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yeofan »

Has the thought of running 'sustainably' not been mooted ? I.E not needing someone to pump money in ?

Obviously need some fat trimming off, but if CO is writing off his debt, then why is this not a possibility ?
wbw
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by wbw »

Running sustainably at this level doesn't involve full time football.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 19:00 A choice of Osborne v Smurthwaite is like being asked would you rather live under Hitler or Stalin.

I couldn't of put it any better, he sounds like Barry Chuckle...
CornishGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by CornishGull »

Bollocks
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

God there is some shit written on here. People google someone and then on that basis decide he is the devil incarnate.

Everyone at Port Vale hates him so what - As he was beaten up badly by some of their so called supporters no wonder he couldnt wait to jump ship. Inexcusable i'd say.

Who knows he might not even be involved but he's got plenty of financial clout behind him and turns up to watch his team play - there are 2 redeeming qualities for starters.

If we do get a new owner then that will be a plus. I'd just rather give whoever it is a chance before carping before the ink dries on the contract.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

brucie wrote: 21 Mar 2024, 20:13 God there is some shit written on here. People google someone and then on that basis decide he is the devil incarnate.

The wrong type of fans, clearly............
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com