Farnborough v Torquay United Tue 20TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Brixham63
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Brixham63 »

2-0 loss….
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Skillsy wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 10:33 OwlGull, Colorado and United62,

Thanks for your responses, all fair and balanced.

I have stuck behind GJ until now, but this bad run has gone on so long I think we do need to now change the manager. However, there is no sign from the club that this will happen so it looks like GJ will be there until at least the end of the season. With any luck, we can finish the season strongly and get back into the top seven as we are currently only five points away, and then win the play offs. A tall order yes, but it can be done as Kidderminster proved.

In answer to the question, if we do get promoted I would stick with GJ. The sole ambition this season was to go up, if this was achieved it would be then strange to sack the man who has done what was intended. If that happened I'm pretty sure there would be a change of sentiment towards him. Equally, if we don't go up I think there must be a change.

I will never turn against anybody representing our great club, unless they are not putting in one hundred per cent effort.

Forza Torquay
It's not even a discussion for me, GJ took us down and now is showing his inability to adapt to get anywhere near the best out of the current group

We have no playstyle, identity, plan B and with the poor recruitment and training ground/fitness/injury issues he should have gone YEARS ago not months

Even by some microscopic miracle he takes us up there is too much water under the bridge to go back

Any other football club in the land would have sacked this ineptitude but that leads to the person who has the power to do so....
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

Farnborough 3-1
Incredigull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Incredigull »

Farnborough 2 - 2 Torquay
BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 17:31 It's not even a discussion for me, GJ took us down and now is showing his inability to adapt to get anywhere near the best out of the current group

We have no playstyle, identity, plan B and with the poor recruitment and training ground/fitness/injury issues he should have gone YEARS ago not months

Even by some microscopic miracle he takes us up there is too much water under the bridge to go back

Any other football club in the land would have sacked this ineptitude but that leads to the person who has the power to do so....
By YEARS ago do you mean the season when Torquay finished 2nd in the National League and were beaten in the Play-off Final or do you mean the year before last when the club only managed 11th place? The hyperbolic CAPITALS might even suggest that you would have dismissed Johnson before he was even appointed, which would of course have prevented the ineptitude to which you refer. (I am sure that it's not just other football clubs who would like to know the secret of how one can sack ineptitude - perhaps you could enlighten us as it is somewhat similar to knitting water.)
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

BigDave wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 19:32 By YEARS ago do you mean the season when Torquay finished 2nd in the National League and were beaten in the Play-off Final or do you mean the year before last when the club only managed 11th place? The hyperbolic CAPITALS might even suggest that you would have dismissed Johnson before he was even appointed, which would of course have prevented the ineptitude to which you refer. (I am sure that it's not just other football clubs who would like to know the secret of how one can sack ineptitude - perhaps you could enlighten us as it is somewhat similar to knitting water.)
He means around 18 months ago when it was obvious the squad he had was incapable of achieving anything on the national league and clearly looked like relegation fodder, which is exactly what played out.

You think you are being clever with your post here but actually all you are doing is showing poor humour, poor judgement and a lack of class.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

WestLondonYellow wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 19:50 He means around 18 months ago when it was obvious the squad he had was incapable of achieving anything on the national league and clearly looked like relegation fodder, which is exactly what played out.

You think you are being clever with your post here but actually all you are doing is showing poor humour, poor judgement and a lack of class.
:goodpost:
stratfordgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Bobby O...oh no

Post by stratfordgull »

2-2.
I find it difficult to see a Gulls clean sheet irrespective of who the opposition are.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

WestLondonYellow wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 19:50 He means around 18 months ago when it was obvious the squad he had was incapable of achieving anything on the national league and clearly looked like relegation fodder, which is exactly what played out.

Absolutely spot on should have been gone 18 months ago.
BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

If he means MONTHS then why does he say YEARS? Is it an attempt to show how clever he is - being wise before the event, rather than after it? (Perhaps he can answer for himself.)
Poor humour is better than no humour at all and gallows humour appears to be what is necessary on this site with all the Johnson detractors seeming to think that hanging, drawing and quartering would be too good a fate for him: were they all baying for his blood after that Hartlepool encounter in June 2021? Fickle, fair weather fans with a sense of entitlement that is not based realistically on the club's achievements should be hoping that Johnson can produce some better results rather than taking a negative stance. If a new manager takes over the reins and fails to get Torquay United into a higher division within a year or so, will UnitedinDevon, WainwrightGull, WestLondonYellow, et al be proclaiming that they knew that that would be the case? If Johnson stays and somehow manages to achieve promotion there will doubtless be some Damascene conversions among those harbingers of doom so blessed with omniscient hindsight.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Based on we can not score and we always concede, I predict;

Farnborough 2 Torquay 0.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Farnborough 1 Torquay 1
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

2-2
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

BigDave wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 22:27 If he means MONTHS then why does he say YEARS? Is it an attempt to show how clever he is - being wise before the event, rather than after it? (Perhaps he can answer for himself.)
Poor humour is better than no humour at all and gallows humour appears to be what is necessary on this site with all the Johnson detractors seeming to think that hanging, drawing and quartering would be too good a fate for him: were they all baying for his blood after that Hartlepool encounter in June 2021? Fickle, fair weather fans with a sense of entitlement that is not based realistically on the club's achievements should be hoping that Johnson can produce some better results rather than taking a negative stance. If a new manager takes over the reins and fails to get Torquay United into a higher division within a year or so, will UnitedinDevon, WainwrightGull, WestLondonYellow, et al be proclaiming that they knew that that would be the case? If Johnson stays and somehow manages to achieve promotion there will doubtless be some Damascene conversions among those harbingers of doom so blessed with omniscient hindsight.
It has been poorly managed BD rewind and remember when the injuries caught up with us when we were leading the league ! The same GJ that failed to game manage them and did not get cover and we ended in the lottery of the play offs. Oh and blame the ref , nothing to do with his failure to see us over the line was it !
It has gone sadly downhill from that day. Keeping faith with out of date crocks , and dont get me in the soft lads he has recruited is down to him. Change should of happened long ago and most of us know it.
Hornblower
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Hornblower »

Farnborough 3 - 1 Torquay