Farnborough v Torquay United Tue 20TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

0-0
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

OwlGull, Colorado and United62,

Thanks for your responses, all fair and balanced.

I have stuck behind GJ until now, but this bad run has gone on so long I think we do need to now change the manager. However, there is no sign from the club that this will happen so it looks like GJ will be there until at least the end of the season. With any luck, we can finish the season strongly and get back into the top seven as we are currently only five points away, and then win the play offs. A tall order yes, but it can be done as Kidderminster proved.

In answer to the question, if we do get promoted I would stick with GJ. The sole ambition this season was to go up, if this was achieved it would be then strange to sack the man who has done what was intended. If that happened I'm pretty sure there would be a change of sentiment towards him. Equally, if we don't go up I think there must be a change.

I will never turn against anybody representing our great club, unless they are not putting in one hundred per cent effort.

Forza Torquay
United62
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by United62 »

Sorry, Skillsy, I cannot agree with you about Johnson being here next season IF (and that's a very big IF) we scrape into the play-offs and by some miracle win them.

You say it's 'strange' to sack a man who has done what was intended... well, this is the same man who has alienated a large proportion of the Plainmoor faithful by labelling them 'the wrong kind of fans'... what sort of fans does he want? those who show up and just accept (every week) that we were outplayed (again), that we had lots of possession but still lost (again), those who just shell out their hard-earned cash to travel to the likes of Braintree et al to be served up more dross against 10-men and just accept it because losing is part of football?

Yep, a few losses along the way throughout the season is acceptable... losing 5 on the trot, conceding 16 in the process, and being at our lowest position in our history is not. So, for me, Johnson is not the man to take Torquay United forward. I just wish I had the answers as to who is!
''I was born under the Mini Stand....''
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

If we go up it will be in spite of Johnson. He has to go regardless as we cannot only start playing football in the final third of the season!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

2-1 TUFC.
More in hope than expectation.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

Owlgull and united62 :goodpost:

My respect to proper supporters who love the club and have every right to complain about the crap being served up. Garry Johnson should be a man and apologise. Torquay supporters are fairly realistic and forgiving. But the playoffs is the minimum requirement we expect.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

If Johnson gets us promoted he stays because he has achieved his objective.

However there is zero chance of us getting promoted so he has failed and has done so spectacularly - I dont doubt that Jarvis will end up at Yeovil and we will be stuck with Brad Ash leading the attack. Jesus what a depressing thought.

You are wrong about the play offs - promotion was the minimum requirement.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Midlandgull wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 10:020-0
Not conceding a goal would feel like a win! 🤣
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

brucie wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 13:39 You are wrong about the play offs - promotion was the minimum requirement.
It was at the start of the season. Christmas it was a top three finish. Now it is a min 7th finish. April despair?

Why are we so shit?
Compare 2024 squad with some of the players of 2018/19 that played in the national league south. Some real quality players back then for this league.

Has Gary Johnson really got the same budget?

Jamie Reid.
Ruairi Keating.
Saikou Jenner.
Brett Williams.
Opi Edwards.
Conner Lemon Evans
Kalvin Lombombo Kalala
Jake Andrews.
Frankie Vincent.
A 6 years younger Asa Hall.
Kyle Cameron.
Jean-Yves Koue Niate
Samir Nabi.
Ben Wynter.
Liam Davis.
Ryan Dickson.
Jamie Sendles White.
Shaun Macdonald.
swindon gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benners

Post by swindon gull »

1-1
Rio Doherty
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: The pub

Post by Rio Doherty »

Farnborough 2-1 Torquay United.
Chester FC supporter and volunteer with a soft spot for Torquay
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

^^^ Jamie Sendles White might be available for the Gulls. He left Yeovil earlier this month by mutal consent.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

TommyGunn wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 14:37 It was at the start of the season. Christmas it was a top three finish. Now it is a min 7th finish. April despair?

Why are we so shit?
Compare 2024 squad with some of the players of 2018/19 that played in the national league south. Some real quality players back then for this league.

Jamie Reid.
Ruairi Keating.
Saikou Jenner.
Brett Williams.
Opi Edwards.
Conner Lemon Evans
Kalvin Lombombo Kalala
Jake Andrews.
Frankie Vincent.
Kyle Cameron.
Jean-Yves Koue Niate
Samir Nabi.
Ben Wynter.
Liam Davis.
Ryan Dickson.
Jamie Sendles White.
Shaun Macdonald.
For a start several of those players were on loan that season, possibly wouldn't have cost anything in wages, some others like Cameron were unknowns at the time, possibly wouldn't have been on huge contracts.

If you take into account we've kept the likes of Lapslie, Hall, Dawson, Moxey and Jarvis from last season, whilst GJ maybe working with less money, however this points towards our budget dwarfing all bar a couple of clubs in this league, ask yourself how much budget Worthing have compared to us for instance, budget is not the reason why we've done so poorly.

we should have been on Yeovil's heels all season, moneys been wasted on the sick, injury prone, and old men creating an imbalanced squad, leaving no room for manoeuvre.
Formerly known as forevertufc
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

Farnborough 2 Gulls 0 no words needed
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by leetufc »

TommyGunn wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 14:37 It was at the start of the season. Christmas it was a top three finish. Now it is a min 7th finish. April despair?

Why are we so shit?

Jamie Reid.
Ruairi Keating.
Saikou Jenner.
Brett Williams.
Opi Edwards.
Conner Lemon Evans
Kalvin Lombombo Kalala
Jake Andrews.
Frankie Vincent.
Kyle Cameron.
Jean-Yves Koue Niate
Samir Nabi.
Ben Wynter.
Liam Davis.
Ryan Dickson.
Jamie Sendles White.
Shaun Macdonald.
Echo Dave's comments above. On paper I don't think there is a big difference in the squads in terms of mix of experienced players, young players and players who have joined from this level, and therefore probably budget.

The difference is this team have massively underperformed, the squad is not balanced, the tactics are non existent, fitness levels are dire and we have not utilised the loan market effectively.