Farnborough v Torquay United Tue 20TH

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

BigDave wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 22:27 If he means MONTHS then why does he say YEARS? Is it an attempt to show how clever he is - being wise before the event, rather than after it? (Perhaps he can answer for himself.)
Poor humour is better than no humour at all and gallows humour appears to be what is necessary on this site with all the Johnson detractors seeming to think that hanging, drawing and quartering would be too good a fate for him: were they all baying for his blood after that Hartlepool encounter in June 2021? Fickle, fair weather fans with a sense of entitlement that is not based realistically on the club's achievements should be hoping that Johnson can produce some better results rather than taking a negative stance. If a new manager takes over the reins and fails to get Torquay United into a higher division within a year or so, will UnitedinDevon, WainwrightGull, WestLondonYellow, et al be proclaiming that they knew that that would be the case? If Johnson stays and somehow manages to achieve promotion there will doubtless be some Damascene conversions among those harbingers of doom so blessed with omniscient hindsight.
Welcome, Lee
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

BigDave wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 22:27 If he means MONTHS then why does he say YEARS? Is it an attempt to show how clever he is - being wise before the event, rather than after it? (Perhaps he can answer for himself.)
Poor humour is better than no humour at all and gallows humour appears to be what is necessary on this site with all the Johnson detractors seeming to think that hanging, drawing and quartering would be too good a fate for him: were they all baying for his blood after that Hartlepool encounter in June 2021? Fickle, fair weather fans with a sense of entitlement that is not based realistically on the club's achievements should be hoping that Johnson can produce some better results rather than taking a negative stance. If a new manager takes over the reins and fails to get Torquay United into a higher division within a year or so, will UnitedinDevon, WainwrightGull, WestLondonYellow, et al be proclaiming that they knew that that would be the case? If Johnson stays and somehow manages to achieve promotion there will doubtless be some Damascene conversions among those harbingers of doom so blessed with omniscient hindsight.
It's interesting that you mention the Hartlepool play off final because that's when Johnson should have been sacked for blowing the best chance this club will probably ever have of getting back to the FL. Instead, Johnson was given a contract extension during that season and it's been down hill ever since.
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

Desmond.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

For me, since the Hartlepool game it's pretty much been downhill ever since, that season we should of gone up automatically, we had a really good commanding lead in the league, but we ended up in the playoffs and the rest is history as they say.. We've also suffered massively with the break-up of the squad that so nearly got us promoted,the replacements have been hugely inferior, and without sounding harsh, NLS or lower is their level, they aren't bad players at all, we need to be up their getting promoted with a view to being in the EFL, I don't think these players are the answer, it boils down to recruitment and also being over loyal to players who GJ should of moved on..The writing has been on the wall here for ages, post Hartlepool it's been bad, last season after the hype was awful, and this season we've never convinced, the last month has been a real low point.
BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

The Great Muta! wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:49 For me, since the Hartlepool game it's pretty much been downhill ever since, that season we should of gone up automatically, we had a really good commanding lead in the league, but we ended up in the playoffs and the rest is history as they say.. We've also suffered massively with the break-up of the squad that so nearly got us promoted,the replacements have been hugely inferior, and without sounding harsh, NLS or lower is their level, they aren't bad players at all, we need to be up their getting promoted with a view to being in the EFL, I don't think these players are the answer, it boils down to recruitment and also being over loyal to players who GJ should of moved on..The writing has been on the wall here for ages, post Hartlepool it's been bad, last season after the hype was awful, and this season we've never convinced, the last month has been a real low point.
Torquay might have been promoted but where would they be now if that had happened? Hartlepool are back in the NL with their prospects of reaching the play-offs being similar to those of Torquay in NLS. Sutton look destined to be returning to the NL accompanied by the village team from Nailsworth. Of course the die hard fans can dream but the reality is that Torquay are a borderline NL team who may occasionally get relegated to NLS and may occasionally flirt with promotion to the EFL. The identity of the manager has some bearing on the results but the ability to attract quality players is more important and that is where Torquay have a significant disadvantage. It is interesting that Nouble chose to move to Yeovil rather than sign for Torquay and after the Hartlepool defeat several players chose to move to other clubs in the same division. It could be that the balmy Torbay climate is disagreeable for macho professional footballers but it is more probable that comparative wages are a factor. Johnson is probably as good a manager as Torquay are likely to get and at present his team is going through a bad patch but the time to give a verdict is when the season has finished. Guildford Gull typifies the blinkered approach that many posters on this site appear to have: sacking a manager for only finishing second is hardly likely to act as an incentive for any potential better replacements.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

The Great Muta! wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 12:49 For me, since the Hartlepool game it's pretty much been downhill ever since, that season we should of gone up automatically, we had a really good commanding lead in the league, but we ended up in the playoffs and the rest is history as they say.. We've also suffered massively with the break-up of the squad that so nearly got us promoted,the replacements have been hugely inferior, and without sounding harsh, NLS or lower is their level, they aren't bad players at all, we need to be up their getting promoted with a view to being in the EFL, I don't think these players are the answer, it boils down to recruitment and also being over loyal to players who GJ should of moved on..The writing has been on the wall here for ages, post Hartlepool it's been bad, last season after the hype was awful, and this season we've never convinced, the last month has been a real low point.
You are right it has been downhill all the way.
To be fair though wasn't it finishing the season very late on the 20th June that also messed up preparations for the following season that started 6th Aug. Just over 6 weeks to take holidays get a team together and do pre season.

Didn't we also have injuries the season we were ahead of Sutton? These injuries have continued every season since. I'd like to understand why we get so many injuries? Are the players unfit at the start of the season or doing the wrong sort of running or wrong exercises?
The players seem to have a lot of hamstring problems.
I read somewhere that long distance running + hills helps build hamstrings. Being unfit and fatigued makes them fail????
Surely it can't just be down to bad luck? Lack of quality coaching?
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

2-2
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Honestly do not know where the next win is coming from
Not tonight
Another dramatic 2-1 defeat as our sorry story continues
Fozziefan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fozziefan »

Whilst I’m sure someone will reply asking for names, I would submit that were TUFC to advertise for a managers position that we would get a lot of quality young applicants with drive and passion to progress the club and put a promotion on their CV.

In my opinion it would be a job that many would go for: a club with 2,000 crowds virtually guaranteed (perhaps not this Saturday) and an expectation that we can go up against part time clubs is more than realistic.

I agree with a previous poster that although traditionally a struggling league club, it’s reasonable to suggest that our par level is probably mid table or slightly above in the NL. Run properly, much higher. It is frustrating to see teams that we used to play fairly regularly doing so well now: Wolves, Luton, Brighton, Fulham, Plymouth, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Brentford…
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

What may have been or more likely what should have been is now history, the season of 2019 when we lost in the play offs should never have been a play off event, up to mid december we were flying in the league with a very real chance of outright promotion on form alone,injuries yet again came in groups and Johnson was either poorly advised as to their return (where have I heard that before), or was criminally negligent in not saying to Osborne, we have a real chance of getting back into the EFL ,I need some extra players. Considering the additional revenue of being in the EFL Osborne may have been persuaded to open his wallet even if it was just short term contracts.
As for the late finish of the previous season ,it was obvious from the follwoing close season debacle of multiple marque signings few of us had ever heard of or as we now it to be , a desperate attempt to sign anyone that we can get to make up a squad regardless of their ability to play football .That single event showed we did not have a one strategic plan in place for the possibility that we may not win against hartlepool.Johnson had a very good idea who was leaving as early as March of that season when most contract negotiations commence. of those that left most could have held their own in the EFL or been persuaded to stay for one more season if the salary was right.
Johnson deserved his two weeks Saga holiday but you would think as in the real world he could have briefed downes saying this is who I want, see what you can do, those you cannot sign I will have a go at when I get back, then you can have your holiday, but no, we had total inertia at the club
As for recurring injuries that is a whole different saga that could fill this forum on its own. I suspect we have knowingly signed players that have a known history of regular and recurring injuries, because if they didnt have that failing they would be playing a higher level.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Fozziefan also Crystal Palace, Watford, Millwall and QPR.

What is amazing is that 7 of the 12 mentioned are in the Premier League!
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

1-1
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Admiral wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 08:40Welcome, Lee
:lol:

BigDave certainly needs to calm down and have a word with his father to go!

Anyway back to the real world, it's an all out team with Dawson and Jarvis starting and Stobbs also back on the bench!

I will predict a win - Farmers 1-3 Torquay

Oh and Gary Out!

Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 19:06 :lol:

BigDave certainly needs to calm down and have a word with his father to go!

Anyway back to the real world, it's an all out team with Dawson and Jarvis starting and Stobbs also back on the bench!

I will predict a win - Farmers 1-3 Torquay

Oh and Gary Out!

That is a very defensive line up. A team picked not to lose? Dawson starting after playing 20 minutes on Saturday is a huge gamble.
Last edited by Guildford Gull on 20 Feb 2024, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

I have no idea on the result but I hope Javis and Dawson play 60 mins without breaking down