2+2=7

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

2+2=7

Post by Brewers boy »

I have only been a Torquay fan for the past five years, previously I lived in Burton on Trent and was a Burton fan. In 2005 a new stadium was built, capacity 7,000 ish. Four covered stands, one of them seated. I'm sure that some of you have been there, I know that I came to plainmoor a couple of times as a Burton fan.
The new stadium cost circa 7 million. Burton were fortunate to be gifted the land it has been built on by Pirelli (probably tied up in some sort of agreement to call it "The Pirelli Stadium" ) They were also able to sell the land that the old stadium stood on for housing.
Even so they went over budget considerably but fortune struck in the FA cup with a draw against Manchester united and a replay at Old Trafford which put them back in the black.

20 years on, at a rough guess to build a new stadium here would cost in the region of £20 million including buying the land. We also have nothing to sell.
With Bank of England interest rates at just over 5% ,Interest payments alone on a new stadium would probably be 1 million a year and if they go up again then then that figure would rise. That's just the interest with none of the capital being repaid.
What I don't know is what we pay the council in land rent.
With an average attendance of 2000 over a 30 home game season then that would cost just over £16 per person per game. that includes pensioners children, season ticket holders freebies etc.

Just who is going to pay for this fancy new stadium and who will own it?

I'm no accountant, just an ordinary bloke so feel free to poke holes in my figures if you want.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

Currently, there are no plans drawn up for a new stadium and no location agreed on. In addition, the team is at it's lowest position ever with a Manager in place who says himself he is "going nowhere"

But Edwards and Osborne get very excited about building things, so we should be all good.