Braintree v Torquay Sat 17th Feb 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
TheYellowFromExeter
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by TheYellowFromExeter »

Quote from Johnson in the interview,

“A lot of hard talking at all levels, and we’ll see how it all turns out”

What is he trying to say exactly? Isn’t this exactly what he says every week?
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Louis wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 20:43
He's a beaten man. Sadly, hasn't got a clue how to turn this around. Its clear he is out of ideas.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I get zero pleasure from watching GJ struggle post match, he obviously badly wants to correct things in the hope we'll make the playoffs and go up, it's a pride thing, and I get that, it can't be easy for him, no matter what line of work we're in, personal pride is important and integrity, once upon a time he was good for us, but those days have gone now, I even think for his well being and mental health he should walk away, why he needs all this aggro at this stage of his life God only knows.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

SWgull wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 21:04 He's a beaten man. Sadly, hasn't got a clue how to turn this around. Its clear he is out of ideas.
Completely beaten, for the sake of his health I sincerely hope he calls it a day now.
This excuse of so called professional players are a complete bunch of losers , but he signed them.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I do feel for GJ as a person, it’s not a comfortable position to be in and undoubtedly will be taking its toll on him mentally and physically, the fact that he is at least trying to fight on shows there is a grit in there, but it needs to be further emboldened. He needs to bring a sense of certainty and conviction within himself, otherwise he needs to walk away both for his own good and the good of the club
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

It seems almost cruel to keep him in the job. I certainly don't want to hear of anymore abuse towards him at the next home game.
Best for him to go before the next home game.
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

The post match interview angers me, it’s fair to criticise the players for their performance but accept some of the responsibility yourself!! They’re your players, that you recruited, operating in your “system” and under your instructions for christ sake….

He talks about players being low on confidence, his job as a leader of that dressing room is to give the players confidence. Change is needed, is it coming? Unlikely….
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by AdrianC »

I agree with York Gull!

Gary, they are your players etc…. If you can’t turn it around, please do the decent thing and leave, let’s face it you’ve been trying for several weeks to turn it around! You’ve had a decent managerial career with several promotions on your CV, surely you can’t need the money? I’m afraid you are taking it under false pretences!
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I am not sure about that york-gull.

Gary J looks a beaten man and I truly think for the Club, for Gary, and for his Family it would be best to call it a day now.

I hope common sense prevails because we all know something has to change and change quickly for everyones sake.
Lufc1996
Trialist
Trialist
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by Lufc1996 »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 16:57 Dan Martin either missed a sitter or stopped a Mox effort going in..... :@
Unbelievable.
As someone actually at the game, martin set up the move, Mox missed and Martin followed through, tried to get something on it but couldn’t get above it. He needed to be 6 inches taller to have a chance at putting that away 🤣
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

All he has to do is resign - pure and simple. Then hes done us all a favour.

To the person who said they dont want to hear him get more abuse - well I suggest you dont go to the next home game then - because its only going to get worse.

This was the bloke who was saying after we got relegated that we were going to have some fun in the NLS this season whilst we got promoted. The pure arrogance of the guy knows no boundaries.

Anyone still mentioning the play offs needs their heads looking at. Getting beat by a part time team who had 10 men for three quarters of the game, without apparently hardly having a shot on target.

Then a senior player getting a three match ban whilst being off the pitch - jesus it beggars belief. Do us all a favour sack Johnson before the next match on Tuesday. Put the cleaner in charge of team affairs for the Farnborough game - he couldnt do a worse job than the manager.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

Something, deep rooted, has gone wrong at our club.

I have stuck by Mr Johnson as long as possible but this is not a blip, this is something more. At the start of the season I was convinced he was the man to take us back up, but I don't think so any more. Despite a disastrous run this year, we can still make the play offs, but change is needed now.

Reading posts after the Braintree game, the tone seems to be more sympathetic rather than angry. This is the first time I have detected such sentiment. When it gets like this, change is needed.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Modgull »

Like Skillsy, I have refrained from calling for the management to go but the head is now realising that the heart is right. Messrs Johnson and Downes seem unable to organise, discipline and motivate this bunch of so-called professional footballers and so must leave the job to a younger, fresher team.

Who they may be, God only knows. At the moment it seems like it would be a poisoned chalice for anyone and the list of potential applicants would probably be very short and lacking in much quality.

And nor do they have much to play with - unlike when Johnson arrived there is a dearth of real talent in the squad and a near-total clearcut seems inevitable. Forget the play-offs, the priority now must be to avoid relegation and rebuild for next season.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
Fozziefan
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Fozziefan »

It’s a very strange situation indeed. When the post match interviewer asks about Tuesdays game he’s giving Gary a chance to say “Well, we know we were (insert expletive here) today, but I’ll make sure my lads are ready to get a result Tuesday”.

He doesn’t even have the energy/motivation to say something along those lines! :|