Braintree v Torquay Sat 17th Feb 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 17:13 Don't even joke about that.
I'd rather not have a manager at all than have loser here.
It was bad enough when he was here.....
It was no worse than what we have now.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

WestLondonYellow wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 17:53 I thought initially what you were getting at was that because Worthing won being a man down, we shouldn’t be too up in arms about losing to Braintree and having a man advantage.
Bristol Gull nailed it "Shows the void in quality for supposed promotion contenders". I would add there appears no promotion hunger in this team
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

Totally amazes me there a some that think playoff are still a possibility !!!! Deluded! The season was over months agoand so it’s proved!!!! We need a new managerial set up and at least 12 new quality players in to at least give it a f—k site better go next year!!! All this don’t bother me too much now! Numb to it🤷‍♂️
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

RedGull1902 wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 18:07 Totally amazes me there a some that think playoff are still a possibility !!!! Deluded! The season was over months agoand so it’s proved!!!! We need a new managerial set up and at least 12 new quality players in to at least give it a f—k site better go next year!!! All this don’t bother me too much now! Numb to it🤷‍♂️
I haven't seen anyone say this?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Braintree’s players were no better than ours but they were organised, committed, vocal, had a plan and team spirit and put pressure on the referee; all things that we weren’t.

The game was like Hereford – we could have played for a week and still not scored.

The blame lies with the manager and beyond that with the owner for persisting with him when every other club would have made a change a long time ago.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I'm not trying to be clever, but the majority of fans predicted a loss, we then go and lose, and everyone is up in arms about it, I'm not excusing it at all, but we've met st Albans,Slough,and Braintree probably at the wrong time (form wise) we aren't going up this season, let alone making the playoffs, like someone else has alluded to, we need a fresh start or clean slate, sounds harsh but who would fans keep??, I'd like to know, it could be a catch 22 scenario, and season 24/25 could involve a brand new squad and that takes times to bed-in,so I wouldn't put my mortgage on promotion next season either..
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

standupsitdown wrote: 16 Feb 2024, 20:49 We’re not going down. We’ve got virtually enough points to stay up already - and still have to play Taunton twice where we’ll surely get some points.

But more to the point, lose tomorrow and we’ll be between 5 and 8 points off the play offs (more likely 8), having played a game more.

So defers tomorrow and the season is virtually over - bar the protests.

We are so bad the playoffs is I think beyond us
I think we do have enough points to stay in this league. Not really sure where the next win is coming from
Taunton fans are possibly saying! We have still got two games against torquay to come!
Another defeat Tuesday how many will bother Turner up Saturday ?
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

madgull wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 18:35 I haven't seen anyone say this?
TommyGunn wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 18:32 Yes, this has also been my main criticism of Gary Johnson. It has been bleedin obvious right from the start of the season where the problem was. 50 goals now conceded in 30 games. Very very frustrating but better late than never I suppose.
Still feel that we should make the playoffs.
Welcome eRonny
york_gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by york_gull »

Zero consequence for underperformance, GJ continues to show poor performance is rewarded….speechless that he looks set to be in the dugout for Tuesday night’s game.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

york_gull wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 19:52 Zero consequence for underperformance, GJ continues to show poor performance is rewarded….speechless that he looks set to be in the dugout for Tuesday night’s game.
And Edwards still believes he is the Best Manager in this League, as form shows 🤣🤣
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The Great Muta! wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 19:03 I'm not trying to be clever, but the majority of fans predicted a loss, we then go and lose, and everyone is up in arms about it, I'm not excusing it at all, but we've met st Albans,Slough,and Braintree probably at the wrong time (form wise) we aren't going up this season, let alone making the playoffs, like someone else has alluded to, we need a fresh start or clean slate, sounds harsh but who would fans keep??, I'd like to know, it could be a catch 22 scenario, and season 24/25 could involve a brand new squad and that takes times to bed-in,so I wouldn't put my mortgage on promotion next season either..
Correct, most myself included predicted defeat today, however I think it's more the manner of defeat some are up in arms about, when we consider the opposition were down to 10 men after 28 minutes with the score 0.0, our team have preceded to have just 1 single shot on target, and 3 corners , and managed to have player sent off from the subs bench, think fans have the right to double down on the result.

To be fair, we're a full time professional football club with resources that dwarf most of the NLS, there shouldn't be a wrong time to play St Albans, Slough or Braintree.

If GJ is still here, I wouldn't bet my mortgage on promotion either.
Formerly known as forevertufc
TommyGunn
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by TommyGunn »

Colorado wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 19:38
I changed my mind after the Slough defeat of it being still possible to reach the playoffs. Had Gary Johnson any pride he would have resigned. I've never seen such a disgrace. Lack of spirit, poor tactics, bad coaching, excuses and a dour manager who has lost his passion.

I said to friends in the summer "At least we will have a smile back on our faces this season. We will win more than we lose." What a fool.
We have now won 14 and LOST 15.

I still believe we have some good players and the team would improve significantly under a new manager. But realistically the season is already over.

If the manager isn't changed It will be hard for me to justify spending another penny going to games. Zero joy, zero entertainment and little hope. Every Saturday evening is ruined and I'm in a foul mood.

Maybe I will donate to the TUST instead.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

Colorado wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 19:38
That was on the 9th of February, before the Slough game. This is the same person on the 10th of February:
TommyGunn wrote: 10 Feb 2024, 17:53 The play offs are looking unlikely now. :-/
I get people are frustrated, but that needs to be aimed at the right place - the board. Infighting only serves a future housing development on Plainmoor.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

TommyGunn wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 20:39

I said to friends in the summer "At least we will have a smile back on our faces this season. We will win more than we lose." What a fool.
We have now won 14 and LOST 15.
Only the bottom three have lost more games than us.