Taunton Town v Torquay United TUE 13th

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Taunton Town v Torquay United TUE 13th

Post by Dave »

I'm sure there's a thread knocking around for this match already twice postponed, however due to the prediction league and sure many will want to revise their predictions, thought it wise to do a fresh one.

Yesterday saw yet another poor result even harder to stomach as the team led on three occasions, we are in a position heading into Tuesday nights game
having seen the concession of 15 goals in the 5 games since our last victory, I listened to the BBC commentary with excellent summary from Chris Hargreaves giving a professional football insight to how the game unfolded.

I see criticism of Halstead raising it's ugly head again, not sure what some expect of a goalkeeper subjected to sure poor cover in front of him, and Hargreaves pointed out on numerous occasions the gap between our 2 centre backs being far too wide.

I'm trying to be as objective and balanced as can, but today it's hard, one think Chris Hargreaves said was, under Buckle tactics were always kept simplistic, everyone in the squad never doubted what their jobs were, which I get even as a humble fan, limited footballers require limited tactics, CH went on to say he could see no signs of the players understanding what they were supposed to be doing.

Even as a humble fan I have to question playing the aging leg weary Moxey at left back, and the much younger and faster Martin ahead of him, surely it would have been better to have them the other way around.

Match statistics according to Sky Bet in play market so no reason to doubt, may suggest a problem, they had possession at;
Torquay 55 % Slough 45%

However from there shots;
Torquay 9, of which 6 were on target.
Slough 16, of which 10 were on target.

The corner count at;
Torquay 3 Slough 7

From dominating the possession statistics like those shouldn't be happening regards shots and corners.

So onto Tuesday nights game, we saw both Hall and McGavin depart through injury, if I may suggest, think it will unlikely that Hall will make this game, McGavin more of a who knows. I've also checked the weather forecast that has Taunton dry and sunny both today and Monday, currently giving between a 40 to 60 % chance of rain Tuesday PM , we all know about Taunton's pitch, with a forecast like this hopefully it'll be on this time.

Taunton issues have been well documented, and are now playing with a much weakened squad, regardless of our own issues, I see this as one of those default wins, the team will have to play well and earn it of course, but can see us having too much for our opponents here.

Taunton 1 v 3 TUFC.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Rio Doherty
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: The pub

Post by Rio Doherty »

Taunton Town 1-2 Torquay United.
Chester FC supporter and volunteer with a soft spot for Torquay
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Dave wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 10:59 I'm sure there's a thread knocking around for this match already twice postponed, however due to the prediction league and sure many will want to revise their predictions, thought it wise to do a fresh one.

Yesterday saw yet another poor result even harder to stomach as the team led on three occasions, we are in a position heading into Tuesday nights game
having seen the concession of 15 goals in the 5 games since our last victory, I listened to the BBC commentary with excellent summary from Chris Hargreaves giving a professional football insight to how the game unfolded.

I see criticism of Halstead raising it's ugly head again, not sure what some expect of a goalkeeper subjected to sure poor cover in front of him, and Hargreaves pointed out on numerous occasions the gap between our 2 centre backs being far too wide.

I'm trying to be as objective and balanced as can, but today it's hard, one think Chris Hargreaves said was, under Buckle tactics were always kept simplistic, everyone in the squad never doubted what their jobs were, which I get even as a humble fan, limited footballers require limited tactics, CH went on to say he could see no signs of the players understanding what they were supposed to be doing.

Even as a humble fan I have to question playing the aging leg weary Moxey at left back, and the much younger and faster Martin ahead of him, surely it would have been better to have them the other way around.

Match statistics according to Sky Bet in play market so no reason to doubt, may suggest a problem, they had possession at;
Torquay 55 % Slough 45%

However from there shots;
Torquay 9, of which 6 were on target.
Slough 16, of which 10 were on target.

The corner count at;
Torquay 3 Slough 7

From dominating the possession statistics like those shouldn't be happening regards shots and corners.

So onto Tuesday nights game, we saw both Hall and McGavin depart through injury, if I may suggest, think it will unlikely that Hall will make this game, McGavin more of a who knows. I've also checked the weather forecast that has Taunton dry and sunny both today and Monday, currently giving between a 40 to 60 % chance of rain Tuesday PM , we all know about Taunton's pitch, with a forecast like this hopefully it'll be on this time.

Taunton issues have been well documented, and are now playing with a much weakened squad, regardless of our own issues, I see this as one of those default wins, the team will have to play well and earn it of course, but can see us having too much for our opponents here.

Taunton 1 v 3 TUFC.
:goodpost: Dave

I was surprised we didnt switch to 3 CBs yesterday, Slough played with no width and constantly went through the middle of the pitch we needed to be much more solid

Over the last 10 games this is a battle of 24th v 21st in the form table - https://www.flashscore.co.uk/standings/ ... overall/10

Lose this and we really should look over our shoulder however whatever the result it would now be noteworthy if GJ was sacked
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Watch the highlights. Halstead has regressed as a keeper and is an accident waiting to happen. For one of the goals he is running back to his goal when the corner is taken. Utterly pathetic.

As for Tuesdays match - Taunton had three regular first teamers out in their 6-0 shellacking yesterday (unlikely to return for Tuesdays game) They had 3 players on the bench (one of whom wasnt fit enough to come on) and they have a transfer embargo.

Short of playing the blind school or the girl guides under 11 team who else would you choose for your opponents in the next game.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Wolborough »

Taunton 0 - Torquay 2. (unless the dampness intervenes)!
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Taunton 2 Torquay 5
AdrianC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chris Myers
Watches from: Pop side

Post by AdrianC »

Surely a winnable game, Taunton 1 TUFC 2
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

3-2
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

brucie wrote: 11 Feb 2024, 12:28 Watch the highlights. Halstead has regressed as a keeper and is an accident waiting to happen. For one of the goals he is running back to his goal when the corner is taken. Utterly pathetic.
Not saying he hasn't, the point here Brucie is, what the I was trying to say, is you don't go through virtually 2 seasons of winning one MOTM award after another, to regressing into mistake ridden keeper who's lost his confidence without here being a valid reason for it , when you've got an ageing left back who can't run, and a centre back pairing who split apart faster than the red sea, hardly down to Halstead for not knowing whether he's coming or going is it.
Last edited by Dave on 11 Feb 2024, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To to add to my opening post, think it's stating the obvious now this is a must win game and no other result will do but a win. At the start of the season what ever side of the fence we sat on, we all agreed nothing but promotion this season would be acceptable, failure to win this game and our chances of even making the play=offs will start to look bleak.

I think a top 5 finish has now gone, looking at the current top 5, Yeovil, Chelmsford and Maidstone have suffered only 1 defeat in their last 5 games, Worthing and St Albans both undefeated.

Also added to that next Saturdays opponents Braintree sat 8th are on a run of 4 wins and 1 draw, Bath sat 6th have won their last 3, only Hampton in the play-off zone look out of form right now, we must keep pace.

I brought a ticket for the original date, so will be at the match, hoping to bring some luck. :scarf:
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

Taunton 0 v 3 TUFC
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

Lose this one and we are looking at a potential relegation battle.

On current form I can't do any better than 1-1 I'm afraid.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

Win, lose or draw this the vocals are being turned up against the ones that deserve it. Nice tight little ground and easy to vent an opinion which of course we are all entitled to.
Turn the heat up yellow army, support the guys as best we can. And be vocal .
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What I dont understand is why on earth you seem to think that we will make the play offs. I just dont get it - game after game everyone on here everyone posts that we are going to win the next game.

They are blindingly obvious reasons why that never happens. I just don't get it. We have been piss poor all season long. Even at the start of the season we've been unimpressive and its not been convincing when we have managed to stay in the play off positions.

I'll forecast a win on Tuesday (purely because we are playing Western League standard opposition) but then we will no doubt concede another 4 at Braintree.
swindon gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benners

Post by swindon gull »

3-1 Torquay