Maidstone v Torquay United TUE 6th Feb

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

knightmaregull wrote: 06 Feb 2024, 22:04 Absolute screamer but you have to question how he got so free of the midfield to have so much space to strike from.
When you look at the highlights take a look at the inexperience of Archer, playing twinkle toes in our half and getting hustled off the ball when a simple pass would have done at a time when we were on top of the game.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

21 points behind Yeovil .. Yes 21 points behind Yeovil a club who we thought we would be challenging.
Dream on 🤬
The season has been an absolute shambles.
Hang your heads in shame, every individual that is responsible for getting this group of soft dross of so called professionals together. They were not good enough last season and they are not good enough this season.
All a total embarrassment to OUR football club.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Sad to think the last time the club was in this league they walked it.I know overall clubs have improved but even so to be struggling in this league shows how far the club has fallen,the lowest in history.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

Slough will turn us over if you look at form league we should be relegated haha
dagglebert
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by dagglebert »

Not just 21 points behind Yeovil, 11 behind Worthing in second. We might just sneak into the playoffs if we get more injured players back - how we have missed Jarvis ! But its a stretch to imagine us winning them.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Armchair watching last night and I thought we were much improved, but after saturday that was the bare minimum required. a point would have been fair in my book but archer, I have said previously that I believe he may be one for the future but at the moment he is more youth team than first team and it was his mistake in not understanding the basics of football that cost us the points.
It is february and only now after the damage has been caused are we seeing the potential of a half decent defence, 50 goals conceded in 30 games tells me Johnson still does not know how inportant a tight defence can make to your season. Tomlinson finally taken out of the firing line last night and not before time, after saturday I think any of the ground staff would have done a better job at centre back. Mcgavin has the talent but playing so deep offers no protection to his back four, he is not a tough,foot in protector sort of player. In comes Boyd, you just know he has been taught properly,knows when to hold and when to make a run,if I have one word of advice for you do not listen to a word Johnson tells you about how to play football or else he will mess you up like he did Harris.
Six more games this month , Marshall injured again last night, this month defines the season,anything less than six wins and my prediction of mid table mediocrity is the best we can hope for.
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by torregull »

Tomlinson was injured,not dropped.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Fair point Culmstock about Archer as you have previously alluded to. I like him for his skill, movement and energy but he is naive.
Interesting that the 4 lightweights , Collins, Ash, De Silva and Archer were left out last night and we looked more solid after our usual dopey start. I would like to see Ash start Saturday though up with Duane OF
Don't really rate Duane but he should be a physical nuisance if nothing else and help Ash.
If they can stay fit you have to start with Hall and Lapslie for their know how, even if they are off the pace a bit.
To be fair for the 10 minutes after Marshall equalised
we were going for the winner and pinning them in, and as those two clowns commentating said 'Maidstone are hanging on here'
The new right back was excellent but under Johnson there has simply been far too many loanees coming in through the season, he will say due to injuries but often because his original signings haven't been good enough. He's always done it and we've had some good ones CLE, Randell, Sherring, Duke McKenna etc but far too many and it's never going to be a settled side.
With Jarvis and Dawson back we just might start picking up some results but I seriously doubt we'll see either .
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Much improved last night. If we can carry on in the same way for the rest of the season there is still hope, but there have been far too many false dawns and I don't have much confidence this will continue. Booth and Arkell both look solid strong....we need more of this and not lightweights, as mentioned by Desperado.

One thing that completely baffled me.......a very close source told me Marshall would not be fit for last night, but would probably be ok for Saturday due to a slight hamstring problem. Next thing, Marshall is declared fit to start then later goes down with a hamstring problem. This one incident sums up the whole season......Marshall scores to put us level, chance of a win, then he's taken off, then we lose.

Black comedy at its finest.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Torregull, I do not and didnt know that Tomlinson was supposedly injured, if it came from Johnson then on past half truths then I doubt its honesty, Tomlinson has been the major weak link in the back four this season and injured or resting the team is far better off without him.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Don't - you'll get Brucie started !
Bit harsh to single out Tomlinson, lots of weak areas
The lack of two decent full backs and defensive midfield for starters.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Well we haven't had a proper RB all season thanks to poor summer recruitment

Unsurprisingly one comes in and makes a difference - also allowing Booth to then play CB
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Tomlinson has a groin strain - defence looked better without him, but ultimately we conceded another 3 goals.

Not what we deserved though really. Maidstone are ultimately a poor side and we've lost to them 3 times this season.

Big game on Saturday - any percieved improvement in performance is going to mean nothing unless we get a win. If Moxey was injured when he went off its going to be another debacle of a back four like it was against St.Albans

Wins against Slough and Taunton should see us back in the mix but any less and its probably curtains for the season.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

Weymouth now 4 points off us hahahahahahahahahaha