Torquay United v St. Albans - 03rd February 2024.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

Pathetic performance from us.
Outwitted, outfought, outmuscled.
We played like a bunch of softies and St Albans should have had at least 6.
Only one side in it and Boys v Men , another **** Saturday show. Credit to SA who deserved their win they are a footballing side and we continue to play Hoofball to Ash the smallest guy on the field who is a complete waste of space amongst others. Never mind as we slip further behind after all we do have the Best Manager in this league as our league table position suggest. 🤔
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Dennis Kutrieb is a great shout, only thing is, it's very political at Ebbsfleet behind the scenes (just like at here) so I'd doubt he'd need the aggro of all the BS.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

That will teach me to post before the man himself appears for the post match, I didnt realise he was suspended, he now says that acheampong was fit until friday ,really, and harris has retrurned to bournemouth, supposedly to cover for an injury crisis, again I do not believe him, there is no way that bournemouth need him for their first team, well not yet anyway. he did say we need some form of change round and the club will have to decide where we are going. As for the who may be our next manager, those that keep shouting well name one are just deflecting away from the issue,we need a change, when we got rid of owers no one exoected that Johnson would be appointed, he was a name with some pedigree, he just stayed with us too long and if you look at his history he has been sacked or asked to leave( mutual consent) on most of his managers jobs.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

So in summary
-the club is not self-sustainable financially
-the region does not produce quality players
-players/managers from elsewhere are not willing to come to Torbay
-there is no interest in the community in moving the stadium to create a financially sustainable business
-the present owner does not understand/like football
/is sick of losing money/wants to get the freehold to the stadium so that he can build on it, scrap the club, and move on

Is that a fair summary of the status of TUFC?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Admiral wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 16:51 As much as I can’t stand Johnson (he should have gone 12 months ago), the biggest problem is the owner. How do we as supporters prevent him from progressing with his ‘plans’? Plainmoor is more important to protect than TUAFC, I hope the council stand firm.
:goodpost:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

TheYellowFromExeter
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Pop side

Post by TheYellowFromExeter »

After listening to that interview, I will be very surprised if there is not a club statement regarding some sort of change within the next week
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Colorado, you've summed it up perfectly 👍.
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

Seen the interview he’s walking he’s done!
Eastdevongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Eastdevongull »

Pretty fair summary Colorado.
There are some good players from the "region": Watkins, K Moore, Reid all from Torquay. We just did not have the ability to exploit their talent
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Colorado wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 19:33 So in summary
-the club is not self-sustainable financially
-the region does not produce quality players
-players/managers from elsewhere are not willing to come to Torbay
-there is no interest in the community in moving the stadium to create a financially sustainable business
-the present owner does not understand/like football
/is sick of losing money/wants to get the freehold to the stadium so that he can build on it, scrap the club, and move on

Is that a fair summary of the status of TUFC?
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has got one so here's mine (opinions not my arsehole)

The club is sustainable....its just at what level it can sustain itself and how the club would cut its cloth accordingly. At some point we may end up in this position but it might be the next time that we are a united Torquay United

The region does produce quality players. They just don't come through at TUFC.

Torquay hasn't moved. The right owner, manager, set up can attract players, motivate them, improve them, create a winning team. We're a long way from the right owner, manager, set up.

Why do we need to move stadium? Let's not lose sight that the council do not own the stadium. The people of Torbay own the stadium. Its our stadium.

God knows how the money works on all this with the club effectively borrowing money from CO. Its not helped by local councillors and the local media probably teasing the idea of a new stadium in the past to CO. I think its been mentioned on a number of occasions that the plan has always seemed to be Plainmoor becomes part of Westlands/Spires, Quinta playing fields becoming housing and TUFC move to a multipurpose stadium. With the cost of everything going up and no good location it just seems fanciful.

I don't know where we'd have to start from but personally I'd happily boot CO out of Plainmoor and pay £20 to see FC United of Torquay play at Plainmoor (rent free as goodwill from the council in view of the wider benefits that the club can bring to the town), the club to be operationally supported by volunteers as much as poss and bring the club back to the fans rather than hijacked by CO. Its not just financially for CO where this is unsustainable it's unsustainable for all concerned.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

TorquayUnited wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 17:54 So no names. Exactly my point.

We won't get a full time manager of any note

No part timer will come here to go full time.

So exactly the whole point.

A young part time manager with ambition would jump at the chance to manage a full time club *if* he felt he would be given appropriate support. It's the second part I'd have doubts about at this point.

Bur, as others have said, it's hard to make the assumption that anybody coming in would be *worse*. Something needs to be done, and there are usually three things possible; change the owner, change the team, or change the manager. There's a reason that it's the manager who is changed; it's the easiest thing if the three to do
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

WainwrightGull wrote: 03 Feb 2024, 19:19 Pathetic performance from us.
Outwitted, outfought, outmuscled.
We played like a bunch of softies and St Albans should have had at least 6.
Only one side in it and Boys v Men , another **** Saturday show. Credit to SA who deserved their win they are a footballing side and we continue to play Hoofball to Ash the smallest guy on the field who is a complete waste of space amongst others. Never mind as we slip further behind after all we do have the Best Manager in this league as our league table position suggest. 🤔
Ash is proven as capable at this level. He, like most of these players, should be top players in this league but have just been poorly managed.

Sadly too many players have passed through GJ's hands and been prematurely written off as useless for it to be a coincidence, look at Waters, Umerah and Street as immediate examples.

Instead we continue to play the loanee roulette waiting for the 1 in 20 player whose natural ability shines without the need for coaching.

I bet Ash, along probably with the new lad announced today, wish they could join the loanees fighting for the exit doors back to their parent club's youth teams.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

With people questioning who would come here, let’s not forget that we are one of the few full time, professional clubs in the division. We’re effectively a sleeping giant at this level who should at least be in the national league, if not league 2. Let’s not allow how far we have fallen to cloud the memory of where we once were accustomed to be.

We have some reasonable players, we’re just outside the play offs so a fresh approach with new management that bring a sense of commitment, desire and resolve will improve results.

If this can be combined with a least a modicum of tactical prowess then we can start to ascend again.

So TUFC is a great prospect for a manager who has the hunger and desire to take the club back to where we belong.

There are some decent clubs and players in this division and above, but it really is a mixed bag so confidence is king at this level and the whole team are lacking in this area, starting from the top. You only need to watch the latest GJ interview to see how deflated he is.

This is why change is needed and now.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Interesting to see what Phil Brown has done since he's been at Kidderminster....
Won the last four games and only in the bottom four now on goal difference.....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

ClevedonRoger
Trialist
Trialist

Post by ClevedonRoger »

Hi All,

Bristol City supporter here who is a big fan of GJ (hence following you guys).

I'm an outsider but, from what I can see, you can't blame the manager for the current predicament. Injuries have been an issue. And, as much as I hate to say it, the squad isn't up to the challenge. Yes, Torquay deserves more but changing the manager isn't always the answer (Bristol City sacked Nigel P and the results have got worse).

Would like to see you challenging for a play off place but you can only work with what you've got ..... Bristol City being a prime example.