Worthing v Torquay United - Saturday 27th January 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I wouldnt worry about playing us again - we are crap and have been all season.

That said we arnt going to beat anybody with ridiculous goalkeeping such as we witnessed on Saturday - Our keeper virtually chucked the first two in his own net.
TorquayUntied
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TorquayUntied »

Stoneybroke wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 09:16 Totally agree with pat out of he'll.

Johnson must go He got sacked from Yeovil and Cheltenham and they soon recovered and have done well without him. so he's not the The Messiah some fans believe!!

I to listened to the Radio broadcast yesterday, and thought that Martin Gritton's comments were spot on . He's was a decent player in his day ,and I think may live locally.

I say sack Johnson and Co and get Gritton in, that should reunite the fans and hopefully turn the team around . May not get us up this season but it's worth a shot.

Anyone agree with me, things have just got to change. But they probably won't !!!!
He doesn't have a coaching licence.

So that's impossible.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

Blatant penalty denied.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Lots of talk on the several forums on who would we get to replace Johnson, as if people assume it would be difficult to replace johnson with someone more credible, what ever happens he is here until the end of season at least and then his seemingly inexhaustable list of excuses will have run out, There will be any number of aspiring managers and those in a job who would seriously look at Torquay, the history and the potential, then if they have any sense do a proper check on the club, the directors and owners and maybe think twice or even three times, if I am correct, come june this year we will have only one player under contract for the season 2024/2025 . how many of the existing team would we try to convince to give us another go, may be three tops, so who ever comes in will have another huge re building job which is a perennial issue at united because of the total lack of foresight.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

standupsitdown wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 13:31 Blatant penalty denied.
Absolutely shocking decision.. :@
And at 3-2 as well.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Agree about the goalkeeping , don't know what Halstead was doing for the first two goals, but look at the time and space their no. 15 had lining up the shot.
Overall though the pace , movement and speed of thought of the Worthing players was way ahead of our pedestrian team.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I think the Referee due to inexperience thought the Worthing defender played th ball but what she missed was that before making contact with the ball he brought down Ash.

It is a clear Penalty 9 times out of 10 but Referees with very limited experience of Pro Football are frightened to give a Pen.

I wonder how many games she has refereed in NLS?

What was Halstead doing for the third goal?

We gifted Worthing the first 3 goals.
BigDave
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by BigDave »

Presumably having treatment on his injured hand as Lovett had replaced Halstead in time to concede the third goal. Were you intending to make the point that it is difficult for a goalkeeper to save shots when they are not on the pitch?
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid

Post by Brewers boy »

portugull wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 16:36 I think the Referee due to inexperience thought the Worthing defender played th ball but what she missed was that before making contact with the ball he brought down Ash.

It is a clear Penalty 9 times out of 10 but Referees with very limited experience of Pro Football are frightened to give a Pen.

I wonder how many games she has refereed in NLS?

What was Halstead doing for the third goal?

We gifted Worthing the first 3 goals.
She wasn't frightened to dish out cards. :(
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

The first part of my post is an opinion aimed at pretty much every football in the country. I really don't get why we're so happy for men to work, officiate, have an opinion etc on Women's football, yet when the boot is on the other foot, we all get so precious, and seem to want to over analyse every aspect.

Why can't Women have a worthy opinion, commentate, officiate, even one day we'll see female coach/managers within the men's game, again this is aimed at Joey Barton and his disciples, or anyone who feels the need to be so demeaning towards Woman having any involvement in men's football, I would suggest a certain amount of subconscious narcissism.

If we look at Abigail Byrne, for a start she's been an elite referee in Women's football since 2015, refereed the Women's FA cup final at Wembley in 2019, and is no stranger to big games, she may well have made a mistake in terms of a missed penalty for TUFC, but is worth noting that Worthing also believe they've had a stick on penalty waved away also.
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

To Big Dave I am going to Spec Savers in the morning!

To Dave if she is that experienced I am surprised she missed a clear Pen.

I would have said exactly the same had the Ref been a man. It is not over analysis it cost us.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

portugull wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 19:13
I would have said exactly the same had the Ref been a man. It is not over analysis it cost us.
Mate, I'm not saying your view point would have been different regardless of gender, all referees are capable of making mistakes ours can't refer to VAR, but we don't seem to want to talk about the penalty Worthing might have been denied, maybe there was a certain amount of levelling up, in her decision making, which of course isn't right.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by portugull »

Dave is the potential pen for Worthing included in the highlights?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 14:31 Absolutely shocking decision.. :@
And at 3-2 as well.
However just before this Worthing had a very good shout for a penalty turned down too.

The ref was a stickler for the rules where they didn't matter, with lots of yellow cards for dissent and a ridiculous number of drop goals, but she was either wrong or bottled the two big decisions.
No doubt she will go far.
I thought she did well when she was ref at Plainmoor but wasn't at all impressed on Saturday.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

portugull wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 19:55 Dave is the potential pen for Worthing included in the highlights?
Being honest I haven't watched the highlights, I'm going on match reports and being fair from TUFC fans who were at the game suggesting Lovett took down Pearce, with the ref giving a corner.