Worthing v Torquay United - Saturday 27th January 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

standupsitdown wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 20:41 Exactly, the ref loved to brandish yellow cards so frustrating as she was, the players should have cut out the dissent as it made a red card likely.

Why did she make Marshall, who was injured, turn round and leave the pitch on the slightly nearer touchline, then have to limp all round the pitch, yet the game was stopped for far longer than the extra few seconds it would have taken to walk directly to the bench in order to make the substitution? Exercising a bit of common sense would gain her more respect.

And yes, no lack of effort, we just weren't good enough.
[/quote

Because that’s the rules
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Surely a turnout at Buckland next Saturday would give people more satisfaction than watching this clown’s shit show
LikeaPatOutaHele
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by LikeaPatOutaHele »

Another dismal day for a Torquay follower.
Listening to Martin Gritton comments during the game, when his thoughts are most instinctive, (his post match summary is more circumspect) he constantly referred to lack of organisation, tactical ineptitude, pointing out time and time again simple basic errors.
Gary Johnson has built up a victim mentality.
Unlucky. Negative supporters. Injuries. Today, it was the referee, yet again. It's so unfair.
This mentality is perhaps a factor behind us having a batch of resentful players getting booked for dissent.

For all those Gary apologists, who state we are still in the play-offs with a game or two in hand, consider some facts.
1. We have more remaining games away than at home. Our away form places us 17th, not far off relegation.
2. Even winning our games in hand places us 5th (allowing for Hampton & Richmond have only played 27 games).
3. Torquay form against teams in the top 7 Played 8 - Won 1 Lost 7.
4. Our form on plastic pitches is equally dreadful.
Ours good runs of form have occurred when we play a series of matches against lower in the table teams.

Please don't say, "but when we get all our injured players back". You mean, we return to those brilliant performances we had at the begninning of the season. Like, Worthing, Aveley, Maidstone. Dream on.
I have completely lost the faith.
My last hope.
A manager who finally has an honest look at himself, resigns, giving us a chance of a reboot. Even in that unlikely event, what is the chance of the ownership bringing in a serious replacement.

In 44 years barely missing a game at plainmoor this could be as low as I have ever felt about the club.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

I went today. We were beaten by a better side. Lots of faults and very frustrating.

But, we all need to stick together through thick and thin. True supporters, and there are many, will do this regardless of results.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Totally agree with all of that PatoutofHele.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

LikeaPatOutaHele wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 00:35 Another dismal day for a Torquay follower.
Listening to Martin Gritton comments during the game, when his thoughts are most instinctive, (his post match summary is more circumspect) he constantly referred to lack of organisation, tactical ineptitude, pointing out time and time again simple basic errors.
Gary Johnson has built up a victim mentality.
Unlucky. Negative supporters. Injuries. Today, it was the referee, yet again. It's so unfair.
This mentality is perhaps a factor behind us having a batch of resentful players getting booked for dissent.

For all those Gary apologists, who state we are still in the play-offs with a game or two in hand, consider some facts.
1. We have more remaining games away than at home. Our away form places us 17th, not far off relegation.
2. Even winning our games in hand places us 5th (allowing for Hampton & Richmond have only played 27 games).
3. Torquay form against teams in the top 7 Played 8 - Won 1 Lost 7.
4. Our form on plastic pitches is equally dreadful.
Ours good runs of form have occurred when we play a series of matches against lower in the table teams.

Please don't say, "but when we get all our injured players back". You mean, we return to those brilliant performances we had at the begninning of the season. Like, Worthing, Aveley, Maidstone. Dream on.
I have completely lost the faith.
My last hope.
A manager who finally has an honest look at himself, resigns, giving us a chance of a reboot. Even in that unlikely event, what is the chance of the ownership bringing in a serious replacement.

In 44 years barely missing a game at plainmoor this could be as low as I have ever felt about the club.
Perfectly put. 44 years for me as well and I feel exactly like you. Really don’t know if I can face spending out hard-earned money during a cost of living crisis, simply to stand on a terrace to feel pissed off. Even when we have won, it’s not exactly been convincing and we are playing against such dreadful teams and struggling to beat them.

I feel like I don’t even “like” the club. The team is awful, I couldn’t care if any of the players left (other than perhaps McGavin, Lapslie, Jarvis), management are spent and the ownership are odious. What’s to like about TUFC?
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

Totally agree with pat out of he'll.

Johnson must go He got sacked from Yeovil and Cheltenham and they soon recovered and have done well without him. so he's not the The Messiah some fans believe!!

I to listened to the Radio broadcast yesterday, and thought that Martin Gritton's comments were spot on . He's was a decent player in his day ,and I think may live locally.

I say sack Johnson and Co and get Gritton in, that should reunite the fans and hopefully turn the team around . May not get us up this season but it's worth a shot.

Anyone agree with me, things have just got to change. But they probably won't !!!!
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

Not sure how yesterday's performance was it sounded like the players put in some effort but the defeats continue.Whether you like or dislike the manager things won't change as no doubt there will be some sort of pay off if Johnson was sacked which Osborne won't want to pay however small and yet we're led to believe he is intending to build a grand new stadium at extreme expense.The words born yesterday to how he views the supporters springs to mind
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Skillsy wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 01:54 I went today. We were beaten by a better side. Lots of faults and very frustrating.

But, we all need to stick together through thick and thin. True supporters, and there are many, will do this regardless of results.
So being a true supporter means paying hard earned money to be subjected to sub standard football from a manager who has completely given up and a club ownership with nefarious motives.
That's not being a true supporter, that's being a mug. Supporters who care see the writing on the wall but as long as enough mug punters remain blinkered to what's going on the club will continue to decline.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

:goodpost:
Cheddargull wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 12:01 So being a true supporter means paying hard earned money to be subjected to sub standard football from a manager who has completely given up and a club ownership with nefarious motives.
That's not being a true supporter, that's being a mug. Supporters who care see the writing on the wall but as long as enough mug punters remain blinkered to what's going on the club will continue to decline.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Cheddargull wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 12:01 So being a true supporter means paying hard earned money to be subjected to sub standard football from a manager who has completely given up and a club ownership with nefarious motives.
Put perfectly
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Agree whether you spend your money going, dont go and just listen or watch the game on the stream when its on, the outcome is the same, you just end up angry and frustrated.

We may have been "beaten by the better side" but there is no excuse for that whatsoever. We have players on full time wages performing like clowns. We are tactically outfought game after game by teams with less resources than us.

Is it any wonder - we have a manager/assistant who live hundreds of miles away and probably turn up at Torquay a couple of days a week if we are lucky. Have a look at the highlights and the performance of some if our players yesterday. Halstead, Tomlinson and Martin - performing like park players and throwing the game away within the first half an hour. Absolutely criminal.

Our recruitment has been appalling for the past two seasons. Johnson unsuprisingly has lost the confidence of the supporters. It looks like the players dont want to play for him either.

Realistically this season is over. We will be lucky to finish in the top half. The managers credibility has been shot to pieces - he will no doubt leave at the end of the season.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

Exactly - those supporters clapping the team off after losing to yet another pub team are mugs. Stupid, doesn’t cover it.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

brucie wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 16:26 Agree whether you spend your money going, dont go and just listen or watch the game on the stream when its on, the outcome is the same, you just end up angry and frustrated.

We may have been "beaten by the better side" but there is no excuse for that whatsoever. We have players on full time wages performing like clowns. We are tactically outfought game after game by teams with less resources than us.

Is it any wonder - we have a manager/assistant who live hundreds of miles away and probably turn up at Torquay a couple of days a week if we are lucky. Have a look at the highlights and the performance of some if our players yesterday. Halstead, Tomlinson and Martin - performing like park players and throwing the game away within the first half an hour. Absolutely criminal.

Our recruitment has been appalling for the past two seasons. Johnson unsuprisingly has lost the confidence of the supporters. It looks like the players dont want to play for him either.

Realistically this season is over. We will be lucky to finish in the top half. The managers credibility has been shot to pieces - he will no doubt leave at the end of the season.
I think he will only leave at the end of the season if he wants to. The club seem to think he is the best man for the job and they do not care what fans think, in fact it feels like they deliberately do the opposite of what supporters would like.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

only one side in that video playing the ball around with purpose, confidence and with structure and its certainly not us!

Does look like we should have had a pen

and frustatingly i see Lapslie is playing near up front again like he did before getting injured, simply doesnt work