Worthing v Torquay United - Saturday 27th January 2024

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

portugull wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:18 Well done Colorado only one to say 4-2 to Worthing.

Now Yeovil are miles ahead, Worthing are scoring lots of goals, Chelmsford have a mean defence, 27 conceded, Maidstone are big news we will be lucky to claim 5th Spot at best!
Big congratulations to Maidstone but I wonder that will now be a distraction for them.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

portugull wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:18
Now Yeovil are miles ahead... Maidstone are big news we will be lucky to claim 5th Spot at best!
Yes, Maidstone may not just be big news if they plough their FA Cup income into their team to cement their playoff ambitions (although, having seen the highlights of the Ipswich match I don't think their team needs any bolstering).
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

It's a sad indictment that in this league we're clutching at straws in the hope of getting a play off place
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

Everybody keeps talking about playoffs!! Really!, does anybody want to go up with the main core of this squad!! I don’t , it would be a more embarrassing season than this, this is not our level I would say national is, but we need a better squad than this to survive up there, so for me this season has gone we need to build for a missive push next season!! And yes GJ to go! Has to be better about.
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

What a shock we lost an away game. I give up, if we don’t get top 3 no chance of going up this season
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Since I'm on a roll with predicting, here's my next. Osborne will say nothing, Johnson will blame everybody except himself, the fans will rant. Nothing will change.

The team is going to fold at the end of the season.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I dont think we need worry about going up.

Scraping into the play offs, realistically we havnt got the quality to be winning two or three away games on the trot. We arnt going up and that will be a massive failure again for Johnson.

Look this league is absolutely dire - thats why Yeovil have it won with 3 or more months to go. How anyone can support Johnson is beyond me. He's lost all credibility completely and is cocooned in his own massive ego, with it seems complete impunity from being questioned for his wretched managerial performance over the last season and a half.

Worthing are no great shakes at all but our complete inability to compete with them just isnt good enough. Another 2 players falling down injured in the first half. another sending off.

I agree with the last posting - if anyone in charge is remotely serious about promotion next year then Johnson and Downes must go at the seasons end. We need to get in a manager who can work with the players full time not one who lives 200 miles and turns up once or twice a week. We need someone who can forge links with the likes of Bristol City and Exeter and get teams who are willing to loan us their players. Its clear thats not happening anymore.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I aways felt from Day 1 that my biggest concern was that neither Johnson or Downes were intending to live locally.

I think this proves beyond doubt that unless the Management Team live within 40/50 miles of Plainmoor then it is a recipe for disaster.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Just how low has Johnson’s pride sunk? Any decent manager/coach would recognise by now his time is up. Deluded or hanging on for a few more pay packets?
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

No lack of effort again today, the players and tactics simply weren’t good enough to beat a good Worthing team.

Two games against Worthing and one against Worthing have shown that they are much better teams than we are.

We may still make the play offs but I can’t see us finishing second, so to win promotion we’d probably have to win at Worthing – if we win one or two earlier rounds – which may well be away.

Another rubbish ground but the most likely reason we won’t have to go back next year is that Worthing are promoted and we’re aren’t.
Keithsson
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Keithsson »

We gave you a head start with our now obligatory slow start but once settled we bossed the rest of the first half.

The game then went all scrappy and niggly, can't help but think Johnson sent you out to make it that and knock us off our stride. It nearly worked too, unsettled and less fluid you got your goal and on another day it could've paid off. A classy finish then put the game to bed.

Thought your #17, Da Silva was it, was very good. I'd love him here.

Can't say I'd be happy to play you a third time as although we were worth it on balance the way you unsettled us would worry me. We're a young side, four teenagers today, and although you don't seem to credit your side, your experience and 'housery are better than most at this level.

I hope those of you that came had a reasonable day out, despite the result and good luck for the rest of the season 👍🏻
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

I'm confident to predict we won't make the playoffs with GJ in charge

Feb will be the end of us, lots of games and our dire recruitment will really show
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

North Curry House wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:04 You took the words right out of my mouth. Another pathetic powderpuff performance, tooany weak links. Another red card, so Moxey can have next week off.
Don't know if you were there North Curry, but the team did put effort into the game, we were just outclassed which is as bad within itself. A neutral would have thought it a good game to watch. As for Moxey's red card - well it was obvious the ref was handing out yellow cards for dissent like confetti so why did our players keep doing it. It became obvious someone would get sent off for one bad tackle. Falling short in so many games speaks volumes in that our squad is not strong enough to win anything from this league this season. I hope Uncle Clarke's proposal includes building a new team as well as a new stadium.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

MellowYellow wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 20:11 Don't know if you were there North Curry, but the team did put effort into the game, we were just outclassed which is as bad within itself. A neutral would have thought it a good game to watch. As for Moxey's red card - well it was obvious the ref was handing out yellow cards for dissent like confetti so why did our players keep doing it. It became obvious someone would get sent off for one bad tackle. Falling short in so many games speaks volumes in that our squad is not strong enough to win anything from this league this season. I hope Uncle Clarke's proposal includes building a new team as well as a new stadium.
Exactly, the ref loved to brandish yellow cards so frustrating as she was, the players should have cut out the dissent as it made a red card likely.

Why did she make Marshall, who was injured, turn round and leave the pitch on the slightly nearer touchline, then have to limp all round the pitch, yet the game was stopped for far longer than the extra few seconds it would have taken to walk directly to the bench in order to make the substitution? Exercising a bit of common sense would gain her more respect.

And yes, no lack of effort, we just weren't good enough.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

standupsitdown wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 19:42 No lack of effort again today, the players and tactics simply weren’t good enough to beat a good Worthing team.

Two games against Worthing and one against Worthing have shown that they are much better teams than we are.

We may still make the play offs but I can’t see us finishing second, so to win promotion we’d probably have to win at Worthing – if we win one or two earlier rounds – which may well be away.

Another rubbish ground but the most likely reason we won’t have to go back next year is that Worthing are promoted and we’re aren’t.
simply weren’t good enough to beat a good Worthing team.

For the simple reason WE are not good enough