Johnson latest drivel

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

I find it shocking that he is willing to ruin any legacy he had built up over a long career before joining. He will now be remembered as being complicit in the destruction of TUFC.

I just hope he and Pete were paid enough for it to be worth it.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I listened to the commentary yesterday and the post match comments, second week running he has mentioned a lack of class, second week running it was because we didn't get a penalty, the lack of class in his team says it all, we cannot believe anything that comes out of his mouth, Jarvis, should be back for christmas, Dawson, he stated will be back around end of november, as those dates came and went the comments changed to well its not my fault its the doctors, we now approach february and still no sign of either of them. I still have a five pound bet that we will not see dawson in a torquay shirt.Two weeks ago he stated that there would be two new arrivals within the fortnight, well one came and went in the space of five minutes, and the other , well anyone's guess.
Since the start of this season the majority of us have voiced the opinion our defence is not fit even for this league, we are now shipping goals at the rate of over 1.5 a game , we knew it, the pundits knew it even the tame TUFC commentator has said it on a number of occasions, but johnson and downes could not and for another season this will prove our achilles heel.
Looking at our remaining fixtures and the need to bed in any returning players before match fitness transpires I see us finishing 11th or 12th this season, the board may have implicit faith in johnson but they are now the only ones that have, looking at clubs in our league they are in the main managed by far younger good ex players who are hungry for success and full of new ideas, that is what we need, and they need to arrive before the end of the season so they can run the rule over the squad, because , if left to johnson even the few that can hold their own in this league will be gone as soon as their contracts expire.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

For 5 years we have been relying on Lee Johnson’s Loans.
Now that his son is out of work, GJ’s squad has been fully exposed for its lack of talent.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Genuine question asked in the spirit of forums are designed for all opinions. I am keen to hear from any pro Johnson supporters on why he is still the man for the job. I think he should have gone months ago but respect the fact others may think differently. If so, why?.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Troy Deeney is available as a manager
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

Colorado - I think that Troy Tempest would be a better option!!
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Colorado wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 14:35 Troy Deeney is available as a manager
Deeney would have our whomps in tears, would not last five minutes.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

North Curry House wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 14:49 Deeney would have our whomps in tears, would not last five minutes.
Which is exactly what happened at FGR.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

JimNichol'sdog wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 14:40 Colorado - I think that Troy Tempest would be a better option!!
Absolutely!! Appreciated by those of a certain age
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

Darren Sarll is available. Last club Woking in NL.
westbaygull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by westbaygull »

SWgull wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:12 Genuine question asked in the spirit of forums are designed for all opinions. I am keen to hear from any pro Johnson supporters on why he is still the man for the job. I think he should have gone months ago but respect the fact others may think differently. If so, why?.
Okay, so equally a genuine question, I'd appreciate no grouchy replies, but I have wondered for some time who the anti-GJ crew would like to see take the job? Realistically. Because I can't see anyone wishing to take on the role at the moment. An owner who wants to sell the Club for housing, an area of the country that is not particularly accessible or affluent, a fan base that is seemingly fed up at best - who would want to risk uprooting (perhaps) and risking a current or future reputation?
I am aware of GJ's shortcomings, but we are still in the play off positions, we still have players due to return (possibly) so I would stick with him. Not a popular answer, I know, but just who is going to be our saviour?

Skillsy, ever fancied management? ;-)
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

You'd be surprised how many applications we would get from names you've heard of too.
I'd settle for someone I'd never heard of , if they were a young ambitious coach who coached football and built teams like the ones that beat us this season.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Regarding injuries, we aren't awaiting any defenders coming back , Jarvis coming back won't strengthen our weak defence.
I mean seriously be interesting to know how much Worthings player wage bill is and where there players came from, they had 4 teenagers playing !
Their manager has simply built a team with understanding who play good football
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

SWgull wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 13:12 Genuine question asked in the spirit of forums are designed for all opinions. I am keen to hear from any pro Johnson supporters on why he is still the man for the job. I think he should have gone months ago but respect the fact others may think differently. If so, why?.
It is a good question and worth exploring further. I would start with, what constraints is he working under, do we honestly know or just like to believe we know. I list a few points to consider.

> Budget - We are told the budget is good, is this correct. We are one of only a handful of full time teams in this league, so you would assume our budget is higher than most. However, does this get you the better players. So, being told our budget is good means little.

> Players - Lets look at a full time player v part time player (these figures are made up for highlighting my point only). Lets say our full time player is on £800 a week / £40,000 a year. A part time player could be on £50 a game / £2,000 a season. However, he has a profession and earns £1,200 a week / £62,000 a year (yes £24k more). There is nothing to say a full time player is better, as we've seen. Part time players are very fit, train a number of times a week and would not take a pay cut to turn full time.

> Past Salaries - Saying we have competed salary wise before is not the answer. In League 2 we would have been paying our players more!

> Location - Does location hold us back. If we were to go part time, do we have the players within, say a 40 mile radius to compete at a part time level. If you believe not, full time remains the only option. So, we are back to budget.

I strongly believe there to be many other factors, but the four above are a great start. We as a club need to think 'outside the box', and that includes us. Lets not shout and scream at each other, while making out we know i) the facts ii) without having a better suggestion.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Please don't take this as me shouting and screaming, just repeating a view, I, and others have done so many times 'It's not about the money you do, or do not have' It's about what you spend it on.

Not presenting this as fact, but, I think we would all guess our biggest earners in the squad would be;
Hall
Dawson
Lapslie
Moxey.

So far out of a possible 112 combined games, these four named players have managed 57 between them (pathetic for your senior pros) HOW MUCH ARE THEY COSTING US, Hall great professional to football and our club, but it was obvious to the most untrained eye he was no longer capable of playing at this level last season, yet offered a new contract.

Lapslie one injury plagued season after another, Dawson was the need for an operation known about, Moxey the only ever present, however, how often are we juggling the pack to fit him in, as he doesn't have the legs to be an out and out full back/Winger, on what Hall and Dawson are likely to be costing, we could have had 4 players, instead of 2 who've given zero return.

We've started the season with a defence that is weak/Slow/inexperienced , no back up to, two strikers, and enough midfielders to field an entire team with substitutes.

That's not budget , that's crass, piss poor, incompetent management of the highest order. Then there's Pete Johnson anyone even know what his job is, or what type of wage he earns, we don't need to think outside box (trim the fat)

Then of course we can go back to last October, when several of us started to warn, if the club didn't change course a relegation scrap was waiting, come January relegation was looking certain, nothing changed, despite a late surge relegation was confirmed.

One consequence, many championship will view the NLS as a step to low for their most prized starlets, so the quality of player available to loan in, doesn't offer you, anything better than you've already got.

Part-time should not be considered unless we end up with a phoenix Torquay, however one thing I've said before, of course this may not be workable, but why can't our football club take a hybrid approach, if a quality player comes available and the only stumbling block is he doesn't want full time, at least try to work whether he could be offered a part-time contract, to run a long side our full time professionals.
Formerly known as forevertufc