Clark Osborne/Jim Parker Interview

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
greb46
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by greb46 »

The club brings in on loan players for free for a month ,hasn't had the money to buy a player or sell one for any value for a long time yet a discussion takes place about a new stadium costing a fortune.The owner must think the supporters were born yesterday!
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Sills

Post by gullsgullsgulls »

Read these two articles in order and then watch it play out in Torquay:

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local ... 194345.amp

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... n-falters/
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Not everything is as it always seems. If you look deeper into this story it appears as much to do with Reading Council's incompetence as to 'Uncle Clarke's' efforts.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local ... ce-4202306

I reiterate my previous post Torbay Council "must be prepared to make a long-term commitment and be prepared to risk the councils own capital" before granting permission on any proposal. If the proposal is that good the council should have nothing to worry about.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

I'm a gambling man and my personal bet is that this ends in tears, with CO etc exiting with boosted bank accounts.

Only time will tell and hopefully I'm wrong but sadly we are now in the hands of a property developer and Torbay Council.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

knightmaregull wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 09:15 I'm a gambling man and my personal bet is that this ends in tears, with CO etc exiting with boosted bank accounts.

Only time will tell and hopefully I'm wrong but sadly we are now in the hands of a property developer and Torbay Council.
I doubt it to be honest - I think there is a good chance Osborne will pull the plug at the end of this season or next and the club will fold taking his investment with it. I think the future of the club relies on Osborne and the council reaching a deal and I don't think that is very likely, recent articles look like Osborne is starting to ratchet up pressure on the council with veiled threats to walk away.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 00:10 Pity you don't listen to your own advice.
People in weak positions always use personal attacks,
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

MellowYellow wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 08:49 Not everything is as it always seems. If you look deeper into this story it appears as much to do with Reading Council's incompetence as to 'Uncle Clarke's' efforts.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local ... ce-4202306

I reiterate my previous post Torbay Council "must be prepared to make a long-term commitment and be prepared to risk the councils own capital" before granting permission on any proposal. If the proposal is that good the council should have nothing to worry about.
But that is his MO. There is always someone else to blame.

At the end of the day, they demolished the stadium based on his promises and his business plan.

Regardless of whose fault it was, there were risks in his business plan that came to bear and the new stadium was never built.

It is not the councils job to risk taxpayers money on these follies regardless of the shininess of the proposal deck.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 11:11 People in weak positions always use personal attacks,
:rofl:
Get a grip FFS.
You made statements that are unfounded.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Most things that Torbay Council touch turn to sh*t, most things that CO seems to touch turn to sh*t. It's very hard to think that this is going to end well. A very sorry saga.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I've seen this movie before, it'll all end in tears, CO riding in on horseback likes he's our White Knight, promising a new Stadium, 5 yr plans, best manager in the league etc etc, how in the blue hell he ever got his mitts on OUR club I just do not know, Chelston TUFC is spot on, our council combined with CO, what a partnership, it's a marriage made in hell, sadly I can see the writing on the wall, and it doesn't look good.....
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 11:36 It is not the councils job to risk taxpayers money on these follies...
But happy to have taxpayers money tied up in the freehold of Plainmoor?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

gullsgullsgulls wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 11:36 But that is his MO. There is always someone else to blame.

At the end of the day, they demolished the stadium based on his promises and his business plan.

Regardless of whose fault it was, there were risks in his business plan that came to bear and the new stadium was never built.

It is not the councils job to risk taxpayers money on these follies regardless of the shininess of the proposal deck.
Those articles in Reading you posted (Mellow) were in 2012 and 2013. The stadium was demolished in 2008 AFTER his company had obtained outline planning permission for an alternative. Although in 2012 and 2013 Swindon were of course hearing all about their proposed new stadium.

Fast forward to 2023/4 similar articles appearing in Swindon regarding reviving the sport in the town after eviction and housing now up to and in the old car park at the Abbey Stadium and for as far as the eye can see. Onto the next project it is. And we are it.

I don’t know if anyone else noticed when Clarke Osborne was asked by Dominic Mee at that online fans forum about Swindon, that Clarke Osborne referred to it as a ‘success’. I’m guessing those who used to pay through those gates a short while before don’t regard the loss of their sport and lots of new housing in the same terms. Assume he was defining success rather differently to those fans.

But yes, football is different. Here’s what Clarke Osborne is reported to have said in 2018 about Bristol Rovers. Article Non League Paper July 2018 - Robertson (author) asked him how he felt about being responsible for his boyhood club being evicted from their Eastville Stadium (which he sold to become an IKEA store) Osborne said, “Unemotional… In football there’s a lot of emotion, ego and personalities that stretch over what I would call the basic business decisions you would make.“

Like Dave, I’ve tried to find an example of and have posed the question elsewhere of whether anyone has any knowledge of a Clarke Osborne proposed new stadium being built from scratch. I can’t find one. Just lots of proposed ones. I’ve also seen articles similar to what you say where others are ultimately blamed for it not happening. Be it bad luck, bad judgement, or something else, his proposed stadia don’t seem to ever get built. Other things do as part of the proposal/enabling development to get them done. But not the stadiums themselves. And bad news for current and potential future supporters often tends to follow.

I’m currently struggling to see any reason why we will be any different to all of those other places and why any other supporter thinks we might be.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by MellowYellow »

I do fully understand supporters reservations I was one of the first to 'hit the roof' when the proposal of a new stadium was initially announced. Nevertheless, whichever way the wind blows the risk of losing our football club through financial turmoil exists be it through stagnation or development. One has to sit on one side of the fence so I've decided to be positive rather than negative about the future development of the club. We can't remain in the 'Ark' for ever, so I await with anticipation of what the 'Promised Land' is to look like. If upon the release of the proposaI I smell a rat I will be as vocal as anyone.

'Uncle Clarke' was right in one thing ' In football there’s a lot of emotion, ego and personalities'.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

Rjc70 wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 23:58 Those articles in Reading you posted (Mellow) were in 2012 and 2013. The stadium was demolished in 2008 AFTER his company had obtained outline planning permission for an alternative. Although in 2012 and 2013 Swindon were of course hearing all about their proposed new stadium.

Fast forward to 2023/4 similar articles appearing in Swindon regarding reviving the sport in the town after eviction and housing now up to and in the old car park at the Abbey Stadium and for as far as the eye can see. Onto the next project it is. And we are it.

I don’t know if anyone else noticed when Clarke Osborne was asked by Dominic Mee at that online fans forum about Swindon, that Clarke Osborne referred to it as a ‘success’. I’m guessing those who used to pay through those gates a short while before don’t regard the loss of their sport and lots of new housing in the same terms. Assume he was defining success rather differently to those fans.

But yes, football is different. Here’s what Clarke Osborne is reported to have said in 2018 about Bristol Rovers. Article Non League Paper July 2018 - Robertson (author) asked him how he felt about being responsible for his boyhood club being evicted from their Eastville Stadium (which he sold to become an IKEA store) Osborne said, “Unemotional… In football there’s a lot of emotion, ego and personalities that stretch over what I would call the basic business decisions you would make.“

Like Dave, I’ve tried to find an example of and have posed the question elsewhere of whether anyone has any knowledge of a Clarke Osborne proposed new stadium being built from scratch. I can’t find one. Just lots of proposed ones. I’ve also seen articles similar to what you say where others are ultimately blamed for it not happening. Be it bad luck, bad judgement, or something else, his proposed stadia don’t seem to ever get built. Other things do as part of the proposal/enabling development to get them done. But not the stadiums themselves. And bad news for current and potential future supporters often tends to follow.

I’m currently struggling to see any reason why we will be any different to all of those other places and why any other supporter thinks we might be.
Spot on Rjc70 he has never seen through a new stadium and he never will it’s all BS and we know it.
gullsgullsgulls
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

MellowYellow wrote: 26 Jan 2024, 23:12 But happy to have taxpayers money tied up in the freehold of Plainmoor?
Of course. Ignoring the fact that it is a community asset which provides jobs and entertainment to the local community, it is also low risk and for as long as they own the freehold they have an asset as colateral. Worst case they can borrow against it, sell it or use the land in the future.

If the new project goes belly up they will have lost Plainmoor forever, have invested the proceeds in a white elephant, and have absolutely nothing to show for it.