Torquay United v Dover Sat 20th

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

A group of TUFC supporting friends and I, said from time to time we'd have a social gathering at the football.

On to the game, well where can any of us start, first half was laughable, any neutral would have thought they were at a Sunday league game both sides so poor, Dover seemed to have a deliberate tactic to drop their No 8 back to form a 5 man defence, when TUFC had attacking possession, but our team couldn't exploit the extra space in front of their defence due to such poor passing and decision making, it took to the 26th minute to gain our first corner, and the 40th minute to test a rather suspect Dover keeper.

The second half did see a bit more in terms purpose, however little else. I walked away frustrated, Dover individually and collectively were terrible, player for player against our team, in terms of physicality not at the races, our players won so many 1 v 1 battles, only to squander possession, with poor quality and decision making, our team didn't dominate, didn't pepper the Dover goal with shot after shot, the one and only difference in the end was a 25 yarder from McGavin.

Look a win is a win, doesn't matter how they come, but today was a very poor game, with 2 poor teams, anyone who's still in the camp of us finishing 2nd, 3rd even 4th on the strength of our current league position, sorry you may just be kidding yourselves, Hall and Ash started, Lapslie off the bench so the injuries excuse isn't going to stand up, performances simply have to improve all we'll be lucky to get 5th.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 17:54 Who cares if he was or wasn't?
As you quite rightly point out, they are - although bottom of the league, a tricky team to beat - having only lost two more games than they've drawn! :|
Typical Johnson apologist, talk up the opposition to deflect from our shortcomings. Yes I was there and it was a poor performance.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Taelee73 wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 17:59 Because it annoys me when people make comments on matches they may not have even watched.
Even more annoying when people can't appreciate a win; 3 points; in the play-off spots; and still all to play for.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Taelee73 wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 17:59 Because it annoys me when people make comments on matches they may not have even watched.
Fair enough.... ;-)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Cheddargull wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 18:24 Typical Johnson apologist, talk up the opposition to deflect from our shortcomings. Yes I was there and it was a poor performance.
Read my post properly next time sunshine.
I didn't apologise for anyone.
Merely stating facts.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I expected a nervous torquay and first half we certainly got it, the opposition were not the worst team I have seen at plainmoor this season by any means. Dover did not have a lot up front but a well oiled defence which they needed with their keeper, we had a less than convincing defence and less in attack, I do not understand the tactics when you put little Ash up front alone and foyo sits on the bench when he could add some muscle and create some space for ash. Archer, if we hadnt already signed him I would have suggested that part of any loan agreement was that we had to play him every game,but the truth and as kind as I can be he is out of his depth. I agree we had at least two good penalty shouts if not three, Mcgavin what can you say, a brilliant goal and if he had pace he would be playing in the league. I will take the three points but we better be a lot better come tuesday.
Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Great to get a win and 3 points.

Not a great game but after recent defeats I was pleased to get a win.

Referee must be a relative of Simon Mather not to spot one or two penalties.

Let’s hope there are no new injuries and we can improve the standard on Tuesday.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Archer out of his depth ? 🤔 Funny how people see the game differently. Couldn't fault the effort , battling and fighting spirit today, dominated the second half,and played some good stuff, just couldn't get another goal or two against a packed defence. Dover fought very hard , better than Eastbourne who we let steal a point.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

We were clearly the better side, but didn’t create many clear cut chances.

Injury news…..
Jarvis out for 3/4 more weeks, but is now running again.
Stobbs will be available two weeks from now.
Dawson has been to national football centre at St George’s for rehabilitation and is now training. No set return date but probably 2/3 weeks.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Is that from the same source who told you Ash was on the bench today :-/
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Good to win but my goodness wasn't it dour. Got home and watched the Brentford game. I know the level is light years away but what would I give to see an exciting, exhilarating game like that at Plainmoor. We've had em before but not for a very long time. I truelly have to drag myself to games these days and seem to endure rather than enjoy. Sadly we are a very poor side.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

brucie wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 19:34 Is that from the same source who told you Ash was on the bench today :-/
Blimey?!

I only pass on stuff that I’ve been told from reliable sources. Clearly, the one about Ash was wrong……funny you didn’t mention that I was right about Lapslie and Martin though :scarf:
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams

Post by Eirik »

Skillsy wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 21:28 Funny you didn’t mention that I was right about Lapslie and Martin though :scarf:
Not so fun mentioned that you know ;)
-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

With a bit of luck it could have been 2 or 3 and don't want to sound like Johnson but there are no easy games ! Dover fought very hard for their new manager and in fact only 2 of their last 23 games have been decided by more than one goal. No mugs ! Oh sorry !
We need to take that sort of commited performance with a bit more quality into our away games which is not happening. We just don't seem to turn up at away
matches