Clark Osborne

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start some above opinion on Bury and Macclesfield is overly harsh, for a start I believe phoenix Bury FC are only in their 2nd season, however are 1 point off the top of their league and no doubt with the local backing they have will bounce up through the non-league pyramid fairly quickly, Macclesfield are 5th in their league, 4 promotions off the EFL, so only 2 levels below us, and they're in the 5th round off the FA Trophy better than what we managed.

I expressed my opinion on phoenix Torquay Fc back in August, so I totally agree, said it back then, NLS with maybe the odd yoyo into the NLP would be the celling. 14 Months or so, ago, I would have been one of the first to jump in and say NO to a phoenix club, however my opinion on this has changed, we've got a football club that's rotten to it's core, we have an owner, local board and manager who cosied up together for a Q and A while smirking at fans opinions, telling us their plan grow the club revolves around sprinkling some 'one club united' fairy dust, while all of them GJ included without exception are overseeing abject failure and incompetence, and a local community that points towards Plainmoor and laughs.

So what's so great about the Torquay United FC that we have floundering around now ?

Yes a Phoenix Torquay would have to re-start around the South West Counties level, it would require a lot of hard work and patience, but as I've said before if the fans owned a stake in it, why wouldn't they want to put the work into it, and given a chance for the local community to help rebuild the club, it could something the community would want to get involved with and be proud of, rather than poking fun out of.

Would a Phoenix Torquay work ? I don't know, the list above points towards more relative success than failure, however a Phoenix Torquay has to be better than what we have now , so the sooner CO walks away the better.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Brewers boy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jamie Reid
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Brewers boy »

standupsitdown wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 19:29 Here's a list of phoenix clubs.
You could add FC United of Manchester who started from nothing but with a core of several thousand Man Utd fans.
Mixed success but clubs of our size have made it back to the Football League.
Obviously a far better option would be for Osborne to cut his losses, sell the club for a nominal amount and walk away.

Original club Phoenix club Year established
Merthyr Town F.C. Merthyr Tydfil F.C.[31] 1945
Willand Wanderers F.C. Willand Rovers F.C.[32] 1946
Accrington Stanley F.C. (1891) Accrington Stanley F.C.[33] 1968
Gateshead A.F.C. Gateshead F.C.[34] 1977
Newport County Newport County A.F.C.[35] 1989
Aldershot F.C. Aldershot Town F.C.[36] 1992
Wimbledon F.C.a AFC Wimbledon[37][38][39]
Emley Emley A.F.C.[40] 2005
Hornchurch F.C. A.F.C. Hornchurch[41] 2005
Scarborough F.C. Scarborough Athletic F.C.[42] 2007
Farnborough Town F.C. Farnborough F.C.[43] 2007
Halifax Town A.F.C.[44] F.C. Halifax Town[45] 2008
Fisher Athletic F.C. Fisher F.C.[46] 2009
Chester City F.C. Chester F.C.[47] 2010
Ilkeston Town Ilkeston F.C. 2010
Merthyr Tydfil F.C. Merthyr Town F.C.[31] 2010
King's Lynn Town F.C. King's Lynn F.C. 2010
Rushden & Diamonds F.C. AFC Rushden & Diamonds[48] 2011
Windsor & Eton F.C. Windsor F.C.[49] 2011
Croydon Athletic F.C. AFC Croydon Athletic[50] 2012
Llanelli Town F.C. Llanelli Town A.F.C. 2013
Hereford United F.C. Hereford F.C.[51] 2015
Ilkeston F.C. Ilkeston Town F.C. 2017
North Ferriby United A.F.C.[52] North Ferriby F.C.[53] 2019
Bury F.C. Bury A.F.C. 2021
Rhyl F.C. C.P.D. Y Rhyl 1879 2020
Macclesfield Town F.C. Macclesfield F.C. 2020
South Shore F.C. South Shore F.C. 2021
(to start play in 2022–23 season)
Whyteleafe F.C. AFC Whyteleafe[54] 2021
There are also a lot of clubs that have gone bust and just disappeared of the face of the earth.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

For a start those of us who've talked about a phoenix club are well aware, and we should all be aware there will be no need for a phoenix club while Clarke Osbourne remains invested in TUFC, this thought process is about what happens if he doesn't, and no new investor is found.

I think sometimes us TUFC fans have a general trate of looking at things from a negative, glass half empty stand point, we've got this tendency to talk about the phoenix clubs that didn't work out, rather than those that have.

Looking at that list we can see Newport, Wimbledon and Accrington all in the EFL, we can see Aldershot, Gateshead and Halifax all NLP, and if we want to talk about economic depression take a look at Halifax, if they can do it, anyone can.

Then we look around the level we're at which is NLS/NLN same step level, we see Maidstone in the South, and Scarborough A, Hereford all sat in play-off places, with Chester just a few points behind, so not out of the question depending on how everyone's season finish's of course, we could have 8 phoenix football clubs playing at a higher level than us.

So add to yesterday's question. What are some of you so scared of, in the talk of a phoenix Torquay Fc ?
Formerly known as forevertufc
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Dave wrote: 17 Jan 2024, 09:51 if we want to talk about economic depression take a look at Halifax, if they can do it, anyone can.
Halifax might be a case of watch this space for us. Calderdale council, the owners of The Shay are looking to sell it to rise funds and while they say they would like the Football and rugby league clubs to take it on there is no knowing what will happen if either club cannot afford it.
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

I know a lot of clubs have done it, but I just cannot see a phoenix club AFC Torquay or whatever working out, I wouldn't be confident of this working out and ultimately ending up back in the league, our best hope is that someone buys it from Clarke Osborne (I haven't been drinking, being serious) or somehow we do an Exeter City and become fan owned or part owned ..Sadly in this day and age just having a local businessman at the helm isn't enough,I know CO has all these plans and ideas regarding being a EFL club with a new stadium, but it feels light years away, I just don't know what the answer is, GJ is going nowhere anytime soon, It's gone very stale at the club and I feel there needs to be huge changes from top to bottom
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

I think we can safely say that as long as Torquay United AFC (1921) continues to exist there isn't going to be a Phoenix club, so there is no need to think about it now.
The next instalment in this saga will come when CO decides to relinquish the club until then there is nothing the fans or the TUST can do but hope.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Whatever happens, I can’t wait for the day we’re free of Osborne, whatever level we’re playing at. Him building a new stadium would be like killing the club and taking away the possibility of resurrecting it.
swindon gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benners

Post by swindon gull »

If Swindon speedways new stadium is anything to go by we have more chance of r chief scout finding a decent player than a new stadium being built for us. The only reason the greyhound stadium is still there is because of the money the bookies pay to cover it, once that finishes then u watch that get knocked down quicker than r hopes of going up this season.

The land around that is already full of houses built and being built and i am sure i read that the showroom houses were open even though there was an agreememt in place with the council that that could not take place until a new stadium was up and running. So any covenant on plainmoor wont mean a jot to Osborne.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

I hope a pheonix club will never be required, however as fans we need to be cautious of what the future holds for our club.

The club accounts to June 2022 show a net debt of £4.1m. Within that we owe over £5m to CO and over £600k in bank debt. Thats 18 months ago so I imagine its already got significantly worse since then.

I can understand why some may view CO as a saviour for when he came in, but I feel very uneasy at the amount of debt our club now owes him. Other clubs have found this out to their peril, and we just need to look at what is happening at Reading for how things can turn with rotten owners.

None of us know what COs motives truly our, but he does not come across as someone who truly has our best interests at heart. Us fans are treated with contempt with the level of comms we get from all levels of the clubs hierachy.

I would much rather we had lived within our means and had owners who had links to the clubs, than being indebted to CO. It may have meant a few more relegations than we have already had, but would it really have been worse than the current position?