Torquay United v Eastborough Sat 6 January 3 pm KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Cheer Up.
We still have a top level manager.
The only reason we are in this position is due to all the injuries.
Our owner is fully transparent and really wants what's best for the club.
We fans just need to be patient and get behind the team.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I was amazed at the crowd - 2000 turning up to watch that rubbish. The club doesn't deserve such incredible support . As usual we concede in the first twenty minutes couid and should have been the first 20 seconds - free header in the six yard box - again.....
Yet again I would say the opposition won 70%
of the second/loose balls, 50/50 balls.
Our passing was shocking today.
Hanson joined the injured list this week. how the hell do we do it ?!!
After Dover home next - we won't beat them either - we have 8 of the next 11 away and you know what our away record is like.
Really can't see us making the playoffs, maybe a good thing as others have said.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Referee had a terrible game. Jobsworth from the first minute about where throws and freekicks were taken from, but not consistently applied. Showed a second yellow to the wrong Eastbourne player and then realised the mistake, and never got on top of Eastbourne's time wasting. Their number 27 got involved a few times shoving our players and should have been booked at least once.

Harris' challenge was borderline. Full blooded and late, I think a yellow was correct but you see them given as reds.

Their second goal looked offside from initial view, but need to see the replay.

Overall we looked poor. We looked like a group of young players who have been cobbled together with no real shape or tactics. DDS had a good game and was our only real threat going forward. WJD (goal aside) had a poor game. Collins and McGavin were anonymous. Archer showed willing for the ball and looks like he does have potnetial, but had a game to forget. Foyo upfront looked lightweight despite his size, I don't think he jumped once for a headed challenge.

Eastbourne were there for the taking as we did create opportunities, but our attackers didn't have the ability to take advantage.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thankfully had to work today, so wasn't exposed to the latest disaster unfolding at Plainmoor, when I said in my prediction post no excuses would be acceptable that was true, there can be none for this latest showing . Gary Johnson is a major part of the line up of arch villains at TQ1, those who talk about budgets refuse to concede GJ has wasted a tonne of cash re-signing unfit, and past their sell by date players, we talk about player development, got home from work put on sky sports news, Bradford v Crawley was a featured match, so imagine how annoyed and frustrated to see Lolos a player we had here at TUFC treated so god darn appallingly by GJ, pull off a perfectly weighted defence splitting pass leading to Crawleys second equaliser, just proves how poor at developing young talent GJ is and guessing why he prefers to buy in the old and washed up.

Here's a quote from an interview from a real football management legend, that those who bang on about injuries and budgets could do with reading .

Neil Warnock: "You can have all the coaching manuals, all the university degrees, and all this, and all that. You modern guys, you youngsters, it's all data and all that.
But do you know 90-95% of being successful is man management... getting the best out of what you've got.
Whether you run a garage, a corner shop, or whatever: get the best out of your staff! That's why I've had so many successes.
Look at my promotions, we were never the best team, but you won't want to play against us.”

I give up, we're stuck with these idiots.
Last edited by Dave on 06 Jan 2024, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Even after fifty years I am not sure how long I can keep coming down to watch what we now call football at plainmoor, I know the injuries are an issue but he has had weeks to get some short term replacements in, just listened to johnsons post match when he said, we didnt start very well, how many times can he get away with saying that this season, he gives them the game plan, the final words before they go out, if he said defend as a ten they would, if he said eight of you attack at every opportunity they would, so when they start badly it is because of his words of wisdom. Eastbourne started well and had a simple game plan ,balls over the top and we failed to cope with them all afternoon, Tomlinson may as some suggest be improving but it was from a very low starting point, today it was his turn to be the rabbit in the headlights, he just could not cope, collins, not sure what he was doing on on the pitch he contributed so little, archer is just too lightweight,a storng breeze and he ends up on his arse, jenkins davis cannot take a corner if his life depended on it, Harris while a good back I now know why we have him, he goes full melt down at times, second game in a row when he was lucky not to get a red.
In the bar at half time a group of us were talking football when one of my good friends threw in that Johnson has been saving the best players for the hereford game as he wants to win some silverware as his swan-song, everyone went quiet but none of us could actually say your talking rubbish.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, so I'll possibly be the first to say it 'Johnson G, Downes, Johnson P and Edwards OUT!!
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 19:12 Well if you make a prediction at least have the balls to stick to it :whistle:
Early forecast for next Saturday…..

Hereford 0 Torquay 3

I’ll be sticking to this one.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Skillsy »

I do think injuries have been a big problem this season, but having said that performances have been consistently poor since August. Today was definitely no exception.

On a different point, I don’t understand why some think Jenkins-Davies wasn’t very good today. He showed true desire for 90 minutes. Eleven players with his ability and desire, and we’d be top of this league.

Honourable mention to Ross Marshall, too.
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

Personally thought Jenkins- Davies played well and took his goal nicely. Another shit Saturday where we threw away the points, not that we deserved all 3.
5 points dropped at Home against Truro and this lot☹️
Yeovil must be laughing , and to think we were favourites with them ! This bunch of lightweight losers are going nowhere, I would not fancy us in the play offs even if we are lucky enough to just edge in there.
A complete disaster from a squad that simply are not good enough.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I agree with Leetufc - we look a team of young players cobbled together and not a team at that just a load of lightweight individuals.
Opposition teams expect more from us if they don't outplay us from the start like Truro,
they visible grow in confidence when they see what little they are up against.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Our non existent striker means we're set up to fail from the start. I feel sorry for the defence, taking a lot of the stick but bring totally exposed all game. The striker loanees we've had have been woeful.

The injury situation is now so repetitive that it can no longer be put down to bad luck. With all the experience he's getting, the physio's CV is the only one of the current crop that will be worth anything in the recruitment market at the end of the season!

One club. United on the treatment table.
Vick
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Vick »

I've often wondered about clubs that have many injured players who are out for a long time. Are the players all really so injured they can't play or is it that they don't want to play for their manager and an "injury" is a good excuse not to play for him?

I am talking generally here and not just about the players at TQ1.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

The first half was just awful and Eastbourne went in at Half time 1 up from their only chance.

Two moments of real quality and we were 2-1 up.First goal was a beauty from Dillon de Silva who ran and ran before shooting across the keeper.The second goal was created by Dillon with a perfect pass and huge credit to Will Jenkins Davies who ran 50 yards to be in the
Right place at the right time and finished with a carefully placed shot.

However the afternoon was ruined for the home fans but not the 14 travelling fans when in the 93 minute a day dreaming Lino on the Popside failed to raise his flag and we dropped two precious points.

It was at least 3 yards offside if you freeze the highlights at 7 mins and 9 seconds.A good referee would have over ruled the Lino or at least spoken to him before giving the offside goal.

The lack of quality of both players and officials is what you get at this level.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

A referee can over rule his linesman if he thinks a wrong decision has been made.

Yesterday I feel the ref should at least spoken to his linesman before awarding the goal which was so clearly offside.