Chelmsford City v Torquay United Sat 23 Dec KO 3pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SWgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by SWgull »

Credit to the team for the recent good run but we sounded dreadful today and got what we deserved. The injuries are killing us at the moment. Another week and another no show from the likes of Hall, and Lapslie.
A special word for the referee who seems to think he has to book every player for a Christmas bonus. Where do they get them.from??
On to Truro, today has been awful.
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

So the question is does anybody want to get promoted with this team??, I don’t !! , nothing will change this season win one lose one, will also be injury after injury, the joy (or not) of supporting tufc.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Gull1899 wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 16:51 Our only hope is finishing top 3 to try & get lucky in the play offs by avoiding any away game until the neutral final venue, anything else and no chance.
The play off final isn't played at a neutral venue. It's played at the home of the highest placed finalist.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I listened to the home commentary as ours was its usual we can do no wrong, we are so unlucky drivel, they described our defence as static and slow, our midfield as lightweight and the forward line never having met each other, yes ,we had to lose eventually, but regardless the thing that will kill our prospects at the end is the amount of goals conceded, up to over 1.5 a game, yes the new player seemed like a good lad but what we need is some decent defenders.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Said it after last weekends win, we need more bodies - not many just a 2 or 3 of a higher quality and we will be okay

without we will still get this jeckle and hyde outcome
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

6th tier and still shite. Promotion? Dream on
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

This is a disappointing one today, listened to whole game on the radio, read reports from some who were at the game. Much is being made of injuries but in reality, only 2 or 3 of them may have made a greater positive contribution to what we had out their today , there was more than enough in terms of experience and quality compared to Chelmsford who had 5 players 21 years old or under in their starting line up, to have put up a more resilient, fighting display at least bringing home the point I'd predicted.

Unfortunately we're screwed, an ownership who are going to build a new stadium (honest guv) Edwards the C.E.O who's big plan to see us back to the EFL
that revolves around us all sitting by the camp fire 'united as one' sprinkling moon dust around until the fairy's come and show us the way forward, an ownership and Gary Johnson so far up each others behinds they could clean the back of each others teeth from the inside, so nothings going to change.

Said last week the performance was no where near good enough, and we'd got away with one, said our performances must improve with consistency for promotion todays clearly didn't. Yes we've got a run of games now where we can all see getting some results regardless, however from late January we play pretty all of the top 7 so hopefully things will have improved by then or we're going no where.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Well quite a few knew we'd got away with it last weekend tbh. We haven't played particularly well all season, it's mostly the collective team spirit that's helped us win matches.

I disagree with Daves view that 2 or 3 injured players wouldn't have made much difference. We have Lapslie, Hall, Jarvis, Ash, Stobbs, Dawson, Jenkins Davies out injured. We also had Mcgavin suspended. I'd say at least 6 of them would be first team regulars if fit, not many sides would cope with this many out.

I feel Stobbs is a big loss, with his ability to beat players and provide crosses. We don't have a recognised first team striker, our midfield didnt have the combative Lapslie, Dawson or Dolan we need.

We need these players back, hopefully Jenkins Davies and Mcgavin at least will be back for Boxing day.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Taelee73 wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 21:41
I disagree with Daves view that 2 or 3 injured players wouldn't have made much difference. We have Lapslie, Hall, Jarvis, Ash, Stobbs, Dawson, Jenkins Davies out injured. We also had Mcgavin suspended. I'd say at least 6 of them would be first team regulars
I get where you are coming from, they are first team regulars, however Hall no longer has the legs for this level and would have made little difference, Stobbs and Ash are inconsistent 'may' or 'may not' have made an extra impact, Dawson hasn't played is probably a write off, Lapslie and Jarvis definitely would make a difference, McGavin/Jenkins Davies could have added something to today's line up, this is what I was referring to.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

We have no defensive midfield which has been the trouble for the last couple of games. In fact we have no proper midfield at all.

The terrible bench today reflected how much we were blighted by injuries/suspensions today. Having watched the highlights the goals were absolutely pathetic - how Halstead can let a shot in along the ground from 40 odd yards out is beyond me.

The return of Mcgavin and Jenkins Davies will make a difference on boxing day. That should at least improve the bench where we should have a couple of options. The new lad has got a presence and I reckon he will improve quickly. We've got a few raw players in there but still think we have some pace up front so I would expect an open game on boxing day with a few goals but ultimately I'd expect us to win it.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

With all due respect (I suppose), Dave, I often wonder how much you really understand football,

Lapslie, Hall, Jarvis, Ash, Stobbs, Dawson and Jenkins-Davies all out injured. McGavin suspended. That's eight players, pretty much all would be first choice if available. Despite all this, we are third. We have an outside chance of winning the league, and a very good chance of making the play offs. I think fair minded supporters will appreciate GJ has done ok, given the circumstances.

My main concern about our club, why do we have so many injuries?? I have one possible explanation.......the fact we train on astro turf every day. I have passionately followed football all of my life, but I have never seen a club with such a consistent injury crisis.

If anyone can explain, please do so...........
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Skillsy wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 00:57 With all due respect (I suppose), Dave, I often wonder how much you really understand football,

My main concern about our club, why do we have so many injuries?? I have one possible explanation.......the fact we train on astro turf every day. I have passionately followed football all of my life, but I have never seen a club with such a consistent injury crisis.

If anyone can explain, please do so...........
You predicted we'd win the game 0.6 so I guess my understanding of football is about the same as yours then.

Go back and read my posts properly, you'll see I never at any point argued as to whether we've got a large number of first team regulars unavailable, I questioned as to how many would have improved on today's starting line up, then stated an opinion that in the main only Jarvis and Lapslie would have added anything in terms of quality to today's actual line up.

Then went to state today's line should have been capable of at least getting a draw, even nick a win against Chelmsford.

Your second paragraph is something I do agree with and share same concern, we've had a season after season injury crisis which has gone way past bad luck, and needs an explanation, don't hold your breath on that one.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

Why have we had such a consistent injury crisis under Gary Johnson? Is it the training methods or the surfaces the team are training on?
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

It's concerning that the team with one or two exceptions don't seem to fancy it away from home. This will cost us 2nd or 3td place and home advantage in the play offs if we're not careful. They are mentally weak, ok when things go well and everything flies in like at Eastbourne but can't win the battle early doors
before playing the football, our slow and lethargic starts to matches are a priority that have to be addressed and should have been well before now. They must know by now that every team in this league is right up for beating us as a former Football League club and will be at it from the start especially on their own grounds.
Regarding the injuries, maybe the constant switching of surfaces for training is a factor,
from the grass at Seale Hayne to 3G when it's wet .
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest