Torquay United v Truro City, Boxing Day 3pm.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

notnow wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 20:36 Okay,we are currently a team of full time non first team players who are not regularly playing together, some of which are indeed first team players who might I add only a month or so ago were said by most that they are not fit to wear a tufc shirt, I.e. mcgavin, are playing “part time” teams who play like they are in a cup final against the likes of us and Yeovil.? So I can only assume you would prefer GJ to go out and get another 10 loan players at whatever cost and when Jarvis, Dawson, Hall, etc etc come back we will have a squad of 30 players? Yeah sounds great but hardly sustainable, I’m not going to be rude and suggest the same as you did about who’s fooled easily.
Who’s fooled easily, it’s still you. The situation is down to the manager, the coach, the general manager of the club and ultimately the owner and if you can’t see that then yes you are easily fooled.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Notnow, I agree signing another ten loans is ludicrous, however, Johnson has always said that who ever arrives loan or signing must have our mindset and add something to the team, what he says and what he does are miles apart. what he actually means is who ever we can get we will take regardless of their experience and ability and then play them out of position. Foyo if you read his profile from previous clubs he is either central midfield or centre forward, johnson plays him on the wing, and wonders why he struggled, archer, an eighth tier player who may be one for the future when we arrive in the southern league but he was the preverbial rabbit in the headlights and does not like anything physical.
I think the injury situation used as it is as an an excuse is wearing very thin, players that should have been back in november are still not in training, the offering of contracts to such players are a managerial failue of startling ineptitude and our ability to rehabilitate such players takes far, far too long, will we ever see dawson or hall again is anyone's guess.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

culmstockgull wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 21:11 .... Foyo if you read his profile from previous clubs he is either central midfield or centre forward, johnson plays him on the wing, and wonders why he struggled, archer, an eighth tier player who may be one for the future when we arrive in the southern league but he was the preverbial rabbit in the headlights and does not like anything physical.
I think the injury situation used as it is as an an excuse is wearing very thin, players that should have been back in november are still not in training, the offering of contracts to such players are a managerial failue of startling ineptitude and our ability to rehabilitate such players takes far, far too long, will we ever see dawson or hall again is anyone's guess.
Here's a first - I've a tendency to agree with your comment culmstockgull
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

notnow wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 20:36 Okay,we are currently a team of full time non first team players who are not regularly playing together, some of which are indeed first team players who might I add only a month or so ago were said by most that they are not fit to wear a tufc shirt, I.e. mcgavin, are playing “part time” teams who play like they are in a cup final against the likes of us and Yeovil.? So I can only assume you would prefer GJ to go out and get another 10 loan players at whatever cost and when Jarvis, Dawson, Hall, etc etc come back we will have a squad of 30 players? Yeah sounds great but hardly sustainable, I’m not going to be rude and suggest the same as you did about who’s fooled easily.
Really! I make it that 7 first team regulars started today's game. I'm not expecting Johnson to sign 10 players on loan but when you give contracts to sick notes like Hall, Dawson and Martin and fail to have cover for key players like Jarvis you are asking for trouble. Johnson out.
Caroline648
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Kenny Allen

Post by Caroline648 »

I see you lot are still struggling in this pub league.... your description, not mine. Oh how we all chuckle at your smug self belief. Wake up boys and girls and finally accept you are a very poor non league team who will never ever return to the EFL. You should be pushing the Green Slime all the way to challenge for automatic promotion but you are heading to towards the Southern League. Will you stay full time in an even lower pub league....your description, not mine. :lol:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whatever but I assume that you've been overdoing the christmas sherry.

When Dawson and Hall come back FFS they are permanently injured. We were told Dawson would be coming back mid October. Then it was mid November.- Now its nearly 2024 and he's not ever mentioned by the management. Course he isnt - his signing was an embarassment. He wasnt fit enough to turn up and play in one pre season friendly. As that was the case then why the **** was he signed in the first place when he needed an operation. A total waste of money.

Hall - great player, but his legs had gone last season. No doubt on decent money but hes gone in unfortunately.

Lapslie good player but...plays 2 games injured for a month....plays two games injured for a month...plays two games (do you get my drift)

Craske - described by Johnson as a very fit player...ahem permanently injured. Stated by Johnson that he was back in training about 3 weeks ago. Now disappeared completely.

Dan (long covid) Martin - Permanently injured last season, then lo and behold hes permanently injured (or has covid again) this season. Yet there is a perfectly capable full back in Ryan Law who turned up for Truro today.

Then theres Sean (Alice Band) Donellan - Big signing for the mighty Livingstone, but no doubt still being paid by us till Jan 1st yet being allowed to sit on his arse for the best part of two months. What a joke. What a farce.

Then theres Jarvis (injury not so bad and due back around Xmas) - now apparently its Feb next year.

Stobbs and Ash - injuries not so bad as first thought so will be back earlier than was expected - although probably will end up being April if we are lucky.

So it seems there is a pattern here - Johnson is bulshitting the supporters about the length of injuries. He must be because none of the players ever make it back when he says so - another eg. Lapslie hoping to play some part over the Xmas Period (yeah course he is)

A team of full time (non first team players) Today - Halstead, Marshall, Moxey, Tomlinson,Jenkins- Davies, Collins, Mcgavin . I would suggest there is 7 or 8 regular starters in that line up so should have been easily enough to beat Truro.

The sooner the manager **** off the better. Its hard to imagine getting a replacement that could do a worse job.
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

Caroline648 wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 23:27 I see you lot are still struggling in this pub league.... your description, not mine. Oh how we all chuckle at your smug self belief. Wake up boys and girls and finally accept you are a very poor non league team who will never ever return to the EFL. You should be pushing the Green Slime all the way to challenge for automatic promotion but you are heading to towards the Southern League. Will you stay full time in an even lower pub league....your description, not mine. :lol:
I see the life and soul of the party has decided to grace us tonight, Friends all busy so came on here to play.
We know how bad we are, you may think you are rubbing it in but honestly, nothing you say is news to us.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Caroline - I guess you were not very good at sums at school. Being 5th or whatever it is in the league doesnt actually equate to getting relegated. I dont think you will find many people on here that are smug.

We certainly realise how poor we are and how bad our manager is (but the pub league is an apt description of what it is) ie we are a poor team around the top of the table.

Anyway my dear, hope that has clarified things for you - I'm sure being Xmas you've a mountain of things to be getting on with - washing up, presents to clear away. hoovering so dont let us keep you any longer :rofl:
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

notnow wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 18:24 It would appear that the few that are posting “GJ out” are not understanding that most of our first team are injured (for whatever reason) the people in charge have plausibly explained the current situation and in fairness GJ stated that we are not in a position to have 50 signings ready to take up the slack. What don’t you understand about that?
The Truro manager said his side were down to the bare bones as well. Injuries are no excuse, especially when you are a full time club in a pub league. All clubs have injuries and part-time Truro are suffering them as well.
ALTE
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by ALTE »

Until johnson goes we will achieve absolutely nothing. Simple as.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

My take on yesterday's game (for what it's worth....) is similar to others. We started without any energy, any belief and any system and were totally outplayed by a Truro team who were set up to avoid conceding but realised we were there for a handbagging. For the first quarter we could hardly get out of our half and it was only Halstead with a couple of smart saves that delayed us conceding. The inevitable goal came...inevitably...from a corner, with Moxey comprehensively outmuscled by his opponent to give him a free header.

This was the cue for Truro to retreat into defensive mode which they adopted for the rest of the game, relying on occasional forays and Harvey's experience up front to relieve the pressure at times. This allowed us to get into the game and we had 3 late attempts on goal before half time with McGavin's drive, tipped onto the post and back into the keeper's arms, the closest to a goal. In fact that was as good as it got in terms of chances because, although we had most of the possession and 8 attempts second half, they rarely threatened an equaliser because the 5 on target were generally well marshalled by their keeper.

Worryingly for the return game Williams now looks like a potential long-term absentee with what looked like a hamstring pull. Like many of the newer, younger players - Archer and Da Silva - he looked lively second half and with the realisation that long-ball was not an option the team played some attractive football to maintain the pressure on Truro but the cutting-edge was absent and we could have played another 90 minutes and not have scored.

Finally, I don't know what happened at the end of the game but the chorus of boos and abuse was not justified, or at least not for the players, who really put on a spirited performance. What I think the game showed was that we are, with our current playing resources and management, a bog-standard NLS side - not promotion material at all. Indeed, I would fear for our future if we did manage to creep back into the NL behind Yeovil - the higher division is getting stronger each year it seems and we are getting steadily weaker.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Let's hope for a waterlogged pitch on Saturday. It'll be a great result for us if the game is called off!
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

Just following on from other disgruntled fans this morning, the GJ approach of not wanting to explain injuries, why players are in or out from the starting XI, how long players are out for, when they'll return etc is WAY to "cagey" in an away game on radio Devon this season someone asked him for early team news and he alluded to not telling him because the opposition manager will find out, tweek his teams plans or whatever and gain an advantage on us??, it's bizarre bordering on plain weird, He needs to be more honest with us, I know sometimes it is better to keep club affairs in-house, but this is 6th tier regional football, If he's that concerned about semi pro's/part timers beating by knowing our team selection 20mins early we must have problems....From the sit down Q&A session GJ is going nowhere anytime soon...The season isn't over, and there's a heck of a long way to go, but the amount of losses already is a big worry, we are nearly entering Jan 2024 and I don't think we've ever had our strongest team out, I actually bumped into Kevin Dawson prior to HH game on babbacombe downs in a club tracksuit, he stopped to give one of my sons an autograph (for my son) he was super nice guy, was with Shaun Donnellan at the time,it all happened so quickly, should of asked about his return.
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

I maybe new to this site but the more I see brucie’s comments the more I like him, tells you as it is no bull —-t and no rose tinted glasses, no team has a fight to walk over any league, BUT 10 defeats ( and I’m sure not the last) is way too many, GJ once said it’s easy to put together a league winning side in the southern but not in the national Mmmm! This team with injury’s back would in the national get slaughtered !! So to round up ,I like GJ but sorry has to go,like brucie said hard to imagine anybody doing worse !!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I was thinking the same as Gull67, hopefully the game is off Saturday, more rain and gales forecast for then , Plymouth Parkway played there yesterday so twice as many games on it this season, the pitch won't be like Plainmoor. Whatever team we manage to put out our shrinking violets to use one of Johnsons phrases won't fancy it.