Torquay United v Truro City, Boxing Day 3pm.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gull1899
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gull1899 »

The players we’ve brought in are either injury prone or not good enough, that’s on the manager too I’m afraid.

It’s just so disappointing how far we’ve fallen , just gutted how we’re in this position. We’re just a half decent at best National League South Team now, this is our level
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

notnow wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 18:24 It would appear that the few that are posting “GJ out” are not understanding that most of our first team are injured (for whatever reason) the people in charge have plausibly explained the current situation and in fairness GJ stated that we are not in a position to have 50 signings ready to take up the slack. What don’t you understand about that?
With the upmost respect we're in the NLS, we're not playing Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield now, we're playing part time clubs who have nothing compared to what we have.

We've got a squad of full time professional players, some missing right now, however McGavin and WJD were back today, against a part time team who exist on gates of 200,net result the same, easily beaten again!!

Sorry no offence to you, but some are so easy to fool.
Last edited by Dave on 26 Dec 2023, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.
Formerly known as forevertufc
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Quite simply - out fought and thought all game

You can join the bleating sheep herd on the injury front as an excuse but the performance from minute 1 was appalling - that's the issue

McGavin was painful to watch at times as he was the only one who could pass with any accuracy but the slowness at times he knocked the ball about killed our attacking threat

Truro shut up shop and weren't troubled

Ref was all over the place

Embarrassing scenes at the end with Ross Marshall and the stone island crew on the popside, other players and Downes mainly at fault for not getting him away, you could see what was about to happen
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

Minneapolisgull wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 18:27 What was the. Attendance?
3700 home, minimal away fans
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Admiral wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 18:44 3700 home, minimal away fans
That's a very decent gate! Unfortunately that does guarantee anything in this world!
Just makes our story even more depressing!
As someone mentioned earlier from a once very proud League club!
NLS is sadly our level. Win one or two lose a couple and hope we make playoffs.
Such a depressing Torquay Christmas story.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

Beyond disappointing. 1 step forward, (at least) 2 steps back.

The team is full of crocks (injuries or the brown stuff). We might be full time, but there is nothing professional about our club at the moment. A manager saying they only want the right sort of fans to turn up, a player confronting fans at the end of the game and an owner who isn’t interested in football. To top it off George Edwards said we have the best manager in the league. I don’t know how he can say that with a straight face.

People keep saying to wait for our “best” players to come back from injury. Let’s be real they will be back for 1 or 2 games then be out injured again. Odds on Dawson to not play a game for us this season?

Pre season was a chance for a fresh start with new players and new management. But it’s just a continuation of last season - an embarrassment.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

WHAT A TOTAL EMBARRASSMENT.......

I am not allowed to use the words that needs to be said on this forum as it may offend some delicate souls out there but that shambles which was billed as a football match had to be seen to be believed. Apparently we are a professional football club with a full time experienced management team !! Torquay United so totally outplayed for the first 20 minutes by an organised but part time TEAM. Only thing I can mention in the first half was Brett McGavins shot which cannoned off the post.

Defence : I sell 50/50 tickets and was amazed at so many new faces and so many tickers I sold 311 !! I couldn't believe how many turned up, it shows the potential of the club if we could ever get it right on the pitch but unfortunately how many will turn up to watch dross like that again ?? This is a club with a dinosaur in charge of the team who has a brain the size of a stegosaurus and a sidekick who is even worse. Supposedly a defensive coach when we keep letting in simple goals from corners ...three games in a row now ..utter dross. can anyone tell me what the flying flip the players are taught in coaching sessions Whatever it is it obviously isn't how to stop goals from entering our net !! And its not how to put them in the other ends net either !!

Midfield : The engine room of the team the heart of it ail. The link between defence and attack So what do we have ? Brett McGavin at least he can have a shot at goal and occasionally spray a pass BUT has the turning speed of a sunken Titanic and so slow to action anything because our management team cant formulate an attacking plan with built in options and players making forward runs. Nothing else is there. Lewis Collins so often flatters to deceive. Ethon Archer has some potential but that will soon be knocked out of him.

Attack : Yes lets use a solo vertically challenged inexperienced striker against the brick out houses called centre backs as it's so obvious according to our management team he is so good he doesn't need any help at all !!

The second half brought some small periods of hope with Truro City players throwing their bods on the line to block a few long range shots but it was mostly huff and puff with no end product.

Looking at the players named on the back of the programme there are 23 names and Osman Foyo who lasted just over a half hour on his home debut. EIGHT players out injured or as we don't get told anything about them maybe they have been captured by aliens out at Seale Hayne who the flip knows ?

If those players are suffering injuries they have not all been caused by opposition players kicking lumps out of them. Do we have a fit ( ha ha ) for purpose medical team ? It seems we get a lot of recurring injuries IT CANNOT BE BAD LUCK !

The management give contracts to players who are so injury prone to old or physically just not up to being a full time fit for purpose player.

So what with a crop of sick notes signed up the few remaining left standing ( not running ! ) are either not coached to be a part of a team or more likely no pooping good enough in the first place !!

Unfortunately " the board " think that this management team cannot be bettered !!

This club is completely wrecked and will not get better on the pitch until those numpties are out of this club one way or another. :@ :@ :@ :@ :@ :@
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

There's nothing more to say really is there.
We're just going round in circles . It's all been said. We've been on about our slow starts for months now. What is the manager doing about it ? Nothing it seems, incapable of of getting his message across or motivating the team.
RedGull1902
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by RedGull1902 »

To be honest I have nearly given up on this season, let’s say we do go up with this team ? What will next season bring! Total embarrassment !!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Craske hasnt played for months - he's another one of Johnsons serial injuries so you've obaviously been drinking too much.

As for the dick who thinks "that we are not understanding the injuries" jesus grow up. We had a full time team of players out there with a full time bench. Beaten by bloody Truro 19th in the league, a bunch of part timers with no fans.

As for Marshall - wasnt the worst player out there by a mile today. Its quite amazin how people pick on the players yet give this hopeless manager a free ride. We've had an injury crisis for 4 years or more. Hardly wonder when the fool signs the likes of Hall, Dawson and Lapslie on big money.

Getting beaten by Truro is a total embarassment.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Dutchgull - I hadnt read your post before I wrote the last one and we've summed it up exactly the same way.

People use the injuries as an excuse but we didnt have the injuries when we got beaten at Weston Super Mare -same thing though - didnt start the games well.

Nothing ever changes - including the managers abject bullshit.
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I watched the match on the National League site with my son, a Truro City fan, (we live in Cornwall) and son-in-law who's from Dunfermline and supports Raith Rovers.

My son was honest enough to admit that after their goal, Truro really went into their shell and could consider themselves a little fortunate to have held onto their lead. However, credit to them as they were fully committed in defence.

My son-in-law could not understand how inept Torquay were, especially the amount of space they allowed the opposition. He thought pre-match that the standard might be similar to Raith Rovers v Ayr United in the Scottish Championship that we watched on Friday evening.

In hindsight, either of those two Scottish sides would have beaten the full-time professionals (I use that word advisedly) at Plainmoor by at least five or six goals.

I realise that the current management team will not be departing anytime soon and reiterate my prediction made earlier this season that this will mean a long spell in this division or, possibly, at an even lower level.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Dutchgull »

Cheers Brucie ....took me a while to write it but at least its a way of letting out the anger we all feel at the moment !!

I haven't got a cat to kick ............Oops that will probably offend the feline followers !

Its a joke !!
notnow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by notnow »

Dave wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 18:40 With the upmost respect we're in the NLS, we're not playing Wrexham, Notts County and Chesterfield now, we're playing part time clubs who have nothing compared to what we have.

We've got a squad of full time professional players, some missing right now, however McGavin and WJD were back today, against a part time team who exist on gates of 200,net result the same, easily beaten again!!

Sorry no offence to you, but some are so easy to fool.
Okay,we are currently a team of full time non first team players who are not regularly playing together, some of which are indeed first team players who might I add only a month or so ago were said by most that they are not fit to wear a tufc shirt, I.e. mcgavin, are playing “part time” teams who play like they are in a cup final against the likes of us and Yeovil.? So I can only assume you would prefer GJ to go out and get another 10 loan players at whatever cost and when Jarvis, Dawson, Hall, etc etc come back we will have a squad of 30 players? Yeah sounds great but hardly sustainable, I’m not going to be rude and suggest the same as you did about who’s fooled easily.