Torquay United v Truro City, Boxing Day 3pm.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Ah Sweet Caroline. I'm guessing you support a fellow non league side, one who will most likely never become a football league side. You've obviously accepted your side are crap as well and always will be, that you have no crowds and probably a dump of a ground. Possibly Weymouth with your comments on the green slime. If so, you have my sympathy.

However, you could be an Exeter supporter, that's why you've had to wait sooo long to post, you finally got a win!! It's ok, we forgot all about that meaningless pre season friendly ages ago, although it was great on the day.

We are terrible, we know that and don't need telling. We deserve to be in this league, and we may struggle to get out of it. The writing has been on the wall for us since the Bristows left, since we appointed ex players as managers, got rid of our youth teams etc etc.

Anyhow to be posting about another team on Boxing Day to improve your life/self esteem implies you have a very sad life, my sympathy again
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

That's a great point by Desperado, Plymouth Parkway played Tivvy yesterday, and the amount of rain due between now and Sat could be the reason it's off.I've heard many opposition managers who've played Truro (at Parkway) mention the pitch isn't great. Without going off point which I can do, surely again the amount of players we are using is yet another sign it's not happening this season, like last season it was a revolving door at times, and this is another factor as to why we're so inconsistent/ hit and miss ...
TorquayUntied
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by TorquayUntied »

Guildford Gull wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 21:27 Really! I make it that 7 first team regulars started today's game. I'm not expecting Johnson to sign 10 players on loan but when you give contracts to sick notes like Hall, Dawson and Martin and fail to have cover for key players like Jarvis you are asking for trouble. Johnson out.
How and who are we going to sign on loan in this league.

Nobody will come here to advance their career by playing part time players.

No part time players are coming to sign or on loan to give up their jobs to earn less money by going full time.

We are 6th tier. I think some people don't realise this yet and still.think.we are a league club at times and operating on that basis because we are full time.

We are not.
Guildford Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Dave Caldwell

Post by Guildford Gull »

TorquayUnited wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 15:05 How and who are we going to sign on loan in this league.

Nobody will come here to advance their career by playing part time players.

No part time players are coming to sign or on loan to give up their jobs to earn less money by going full time.

We are 6th tier. I think some people don't realise this yet and still.think.we are a league club at times and operating on that basis because we are full time.

We are not.
I didn't advocate we should sign any players on loan. I simply made the point that if we hadn't given contracts to players who can't stay fit and we had adequate cover in the squad we wouldn't have the current problems regarding player availability.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Who we acquire and when and why we get them is anything but logical,especially at Torquay, Johnson we know has a closed preference for players who he has managed before ,they can play his way and he trusts them, his brother is obviously given a shopping list and he makes a few phone calls and sees who is available , I do not for one minute believe at his age he is on the road three days a week watching matches.
One example, and I am sure there are many, when torquay are away I watch my local team, willand rovers in the southern,, last season they had a young forward called Ollie Bray, 21, 6 foot 3 who does the 100 metres in 11.2 seconds, and he scored more goals than ash did at weymouth in a season, I recommended him to Torquay but heard nothing. Speaking to him in the bar at willand on several occasiosns he always said he wanted to play full time football, Man U took him for a long summer trial in their under 23's ,start of this season both Bristol city and Argyle wanted him on trial, so ignoring my amateur belief in his ability he was on many clubs radar but while they dithered Aldershot nipped in and gave him a 2 year contract.
I am sure Pete Johnson still hasn't heard of him, Ollie will go on to play in a much higher league.There are any number of players in the south west that active scouting would identify where the usual problems of geography and family ties are not a barrier.
The deluder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by The deluder »

I get your point about Ollie Bray. But he doesn’t seem to be even on the bench for Aldershot. Miles behind Stokes and Tolaj. Both of whom are young players.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

So if he cant get in Aldershots team how is he going to end up playing at a higher level?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

notnow wrote: 26 Dec 2023, 20:36 Okay,we are currently a team of full time non first team players who are not regularly playing together, some of which are indeed first team players who might I add only a month or so ago were said by most that they are not fit to wear a tufc shirt, I.e. mcgavin, are playing “part time” teams who play like they are in a cup final against the likes of us and Yeovil.? So I can only assume you would prefer GJ to go out and get another 10 loan players at whatever cost and when Jarvis, Dawson, Hall, etc etc come back we will have a squad of 30 players? Yeah sounds great but hardly sustainable, I’m not going to be rude and suggest the same as you did about who’s fooled easily.
To be fair I went out of my way to show respect for your opinion and make it clear my post was not a personal dig at you. No I do not want 10 loan players, it's always been my personal opinion that our squad should have no more than 3-4 loan players period, and as a means to 'rent' in a bit of quality the club can't afford to buy, rather than as cover for injuries, your right not sustainable.

What in the name of footballing sanity is a 'non' first team player ? There is no such thing, and if we're suggesting GJ has given contracts and paying wages to around 40% of the squad as 'non' first team players, then this amounts to yet more evidence GJ has completely lost the plot and should be removed now. You just as well sign 11 players and bring in 8 on loan.

No manager worth his salt builds a squad as part first team, part non first team players, they build a squad with who their best 11 are, mindful of injuries and suspensions, with the need to have players who can be brought in to plug gaps as and when needed, all first team squad players, are first team players.

Not going to be hypocritical I was happy Dawson and Lapslie resigned, however I was one of many who voiced an opinion resigning Hall was a huge mistake, it was obvious to the most untrained eye the Halls playing days at this level were over, now he's getting paid big bucks to sit in the stands like many predicted, if he was past fit now, Hall wouldn't strengthen the team he'd weaken it.

What I want from GJ is nothing more than putting square pegs ins square holes, giving players a chance to thrive by playing them in positions that suit their game, rather than take away from it, don't want to make this post too long, so wont expand on that.

I want him to work harder on the teams phycological preparation, we're starting too many games at snails pace, those players should be leaving the dressing room with a determination they will impose their game from the off, no one cans stop them when they do, this just has not happened at all, too many games lost, too many games won when the performance hasn't totally deserved it, yet some still hang on every word of GJ's bullshit.
Formerly known as forevertufc
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

To be fair Ollie Bray has been at Aldershot for exactly one month and has been on the bench a few times. Give him a chance !
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by torregull »

We often get "scouts" from various clubs sat near to us in Bristow's. They're usually part of a network of scouts from a particular club,who cover the South or South-West as they live in this part of the country. I don't think they get paid much; just travel expenses.etc, but usually have some background in coaching, at one level or another and do it as a supporter of the club, as much as anything else. They have a brief to watch a particular player or players;and perhaps not surprisingly these are often from the opposition-though they usually don't reveal exactly who they are watching. In recent months I've spoken to such scouts from AFC Wimbledon, Stevenage, Lincoln, Portsmouth and Leyton Orient.

I don't know if we have such a network, but I'm sure we've got suitably qualified exiles around the country who would be willing to do the same if they were asked. For Culmstockgull not even to get a response to his recommendation, is poor from the club-but not surprising.

( I sometimes give them my own recommendations but sadly they've not followed up my glowing references of Hanson, Crowe and Collins!)
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Well that's what you call an early decision , Saturdays match has already been called off !
Good for us certainly.
Stoneybroke
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoneybroke »

So Saturdays game called off. Blessing in disguise for Johnson and the team.
Hopefully united will have more bodies available when the game is rescheduled.
Maybe even Dawson Hall and Lapslie could??? be fit.
I'M NOT HOLDING MY BREATH !!!
torregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by torregull »

Ten days off to work on our many weaknesses,get players fit and rested and watch the matches of our forthcoming opponents-should work to our advantage surely?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

torregull wrote: 29 Dec 2023, 10:11 Ten days off to work on our many weaknesses,get players fit and rested and watch the matches of our forthcoming opponents-should work to our advantage surely?
Hopefully so - and don't call me Shirley..... :rofl:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

3 months (ish) of the season left, to ensure Torquay finish in the Playoffs, with an injury free squad, who all want promotion.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal: