Online Fans Forum

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Online Fans Forum

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Nearly an hour worth of questions

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I was surprised that some of the more challenging questions found their way through but Clarke Osborne’s rewriting of history was illuminating. It has to be remembered that he has never built a stadium but you would never have guessed considering how successful he considers his projects and where he hasn’t built a stadium (which is of course every single time) it’s always someone else’s fault. He stated how the organisations he bought “were on their knees” and it kind of exposed his Modus Operandi: a vulnerable sporting entity with property to exploit.

George Edwards was there of course, nodding in agreement with everything Clarke said like a faithful lapdog, or perhaps more like a Tory frontbencher who thinks those watching will buy the nonsense if someone is seen to nod enough.

Mel Hayman looked like she rather be anywhere else than on one of those uncomfortable looking chairs - almost wanted to say to her “blink twice if you need rescuing” as she surely doesn’t believe it.

Clarke and George are adamant that a new stadium will be built but couldn’t confirm it would be in Torbay, let alone Torquay. I guess we might assume it’s set to be built in Devon somewhere but considering their success with building stadiums it’s most likely to be built in the fantasy world that exists in their heads.

George’s favourite phrase seemed to be “One Club United” which is a funny one when he has been behind the moves that have made the relationship between supporters and club most toxic. Wonder how lying about the chair of TUST and issuing threats is “One Club United” and it seems you can only be considered a true fan if you get behind the club which of course means doing as George says and not questioning why property developers with a history of seeing sporting entities lose their stadiums without building a replacement might have their claws into our football club.

No consideration of the club’s heritage; no consideration of what Plainmoor means to its fanbase and no consideration of what supporters wishes might be.

Gaming International are property developers after all, although most property developers build things. Even if they do build something, I dread to think what it might look like considering the flat pack stadium they had in a locker somewhere in Wales. The feeling is any new stadium they build will be crap. But we all know they won’t build one anyway.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I've literally just watched the video and came on here to post my thoughts but the post above by Hector says all anyone needs to know.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
WainwrightGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by WainwrightGull »

The complete lack of comments from supporters really sums up all you need to know.
As for Edwards comment we have the best manager
Is that why we got relegated and find ourselves in the 5th tier I wonder.
Dragging up the old chestnut of blaming the referee at Ashton Gate again. Johnson should have recruited and covered for the injuries. Yes the ref was shit but so was his game management
The Great Muta!
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by The Great Muta! »

As a new fan who's just registered, I wanted to post my thoughts on the sit down questions and answers session , recently put out by the club...
I was surprised a good few questions on certain topics were brought up, and in fairness the panel did answer them at least, however you'd think Clarke Osborne had left some amazing legacy at Swindon, Reading,MK, and I Bristol where in reality I beg to differ from his words .Mr "One club ..United" was only there to back up Clarke, and nod and agree, Gary Johnson folks is going nowhere anytime soon, that was abundantly clear....like I say, I'll give them all credit for answering the questions that were submitted..Still cannot workout Clarke's answer to the great question about him putting all this money in for exactly what in return?, there has to be a reason behind this surely, or is he our "white knight" like he claims to be?, doubtful, businessmen are usually after money,land, notoriety etc, I'm not trying to be suspicious, but what's his end game?.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Well said Hector

" Mel Hayman looked like she rather be anywhere else than on one of those uncomfortable looking chairs - almost wanted to say to her “blink twice if you need rescuing” as she surely doesn’t believe it. "

Laugh out loud moment !!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Great post Hector. :clap:
The only way we'll get a new stadium, is if we buy one of those miniature ones off eBay and put TUFC stickers on it.......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Hector mentions 'no consideration for the club's heritage'.

I fully agree.

Plainmoor is the heartbeat of our special club, and ideal for a club of our standing whichever of the lower leagues we may be in. I accept the need for greater revenues, but many clubs have moved grounds and it hasn't worked out........I think we should stay exactly where we are. Darlington are a prime example, when they left Feethams the ambition was to become a Premier League club.

If staying put means we can no longer remain full time, that's fine with me.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Was also surprised a few of those questions got through although the lack of audience I guess stopped the questioning to the responses. Thats coming apparently!

I dont think hes wrong in stating the need for greater revenues in any move to a new stadium, i dont have the details on the swindon, reading, poole stadiums or lack of and his comments but certainly worthy to research prior to any fans forum in person. It did sound like it was everyone else fault however.

My fear is we get some lesser stadium than the one now and suitable only for the level we are at. I went to Havant the other week and that springs to mind.

I just didnt get the last ish response to getting his outlay back. Hes basically willing to let £6M go down the drain, could be £7 or £8M by the time we get stadium or EFL achieved, and it just doesnt add up. I dont think hes such a weathly person to let that go just for the fun of projects! BS!

Anyway, watching with caution. Whatever you think of them, kudos to the TUST for playing their part in getting this lot out of the woodwork. Havent seen any of them for years and now CO turns up twice in a month. They must be wary! Didnt know Edwards was a scouser or sounded like one from his repeated 'UNITED!'
TUST #324
WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 08:59 I've literally just watched the video and came on here to post my thoughts but the post above by Hector says all anyone needs to know.
agreed, Hector has captured it perfectly. Where do we go from here though?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Well going by Osborne's statement that he's only ever had successful ventures I'd say success for him means our ruin. Perhaps he sees us groundsharing Sandy Park??
Dave

WestLondonYellow
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by WestLondonYellow »

Southampton Gull wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 16:26 Well going by Osborne's statement that he's only ever had successful ventures I'd say success for him means our ruin. Perhaps he sees us groundsharing Sandy Park??
our ruin, without a doubt. Sorry, i meant, where do we go in terms of, what can we as fans do about it other than wait for the inevitable demise, however long that takes and then start a phoenix club if the ground still exists. I don't have an issue with a Phoenix club other than, the prolonged wait for a situation that requires it. It's the long drawn out demise, the lies and the false promises that make it all so disgusting. Do we have to wait or can we take strong positive steps now?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I don't think our fan base has ever shown the determination or willpower to change anything to that extent but perhaps in the dark days I believe lay ahead we'll all come together to start over with a Phoenix club. Until he decides otherwise we're stuck with Osborne so I guess time will show us his true intentions. I definitely don't buy the party line, history says that would be stupidly naive.
Dave

The Eternal Optimist
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by The Eternal Optimist »

If the club leaves Torquay it will be diminished. If it leaves Torbay it will be finished. Yes the club may make more money, with all the promised avenues of revenue that will be available, it may even be sustainable, but the football side will be the poorer for it. Torquay United will not be the main revenue interest. Support will be much lower than today. Clearly, there is not a suitable site in Torquay, and I can't think of anywhere in Torbay. Perhaps one place is the old gasworks site on the Paignton / Torquay border? That seems to have been given up by the current developer. Chaos though, getting there, and nowhere to park. Plainmoor is a good stadium for us. It will be hard to create a better one. It is in a good location easy to get to, plenty of on road parking. You won't find better anywhere in Torquay, let alone Torbay. I don't look forward to any move away from Plainmoor.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

The Eternal Optimist wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 17:36 If the club leaves Torquay it will be diminished. If it leaves Torbay it will be finished. Yes the club may make more money, with all the promised avenues of revenue that will be available, it may even be sustainable, but the football side will be the poorer for it. Torquay United will not be the main revenue interest. Support will be much lower than today. Clearly, there is not a suitable site in Torquay, and I can't think of anywhere in Torbay. Perhaps one place is the old gasworks site on the Paignton / Torquay border? That seems to have been given up by the current developer. Chaos though, getting there, and nowhere to park. Plainmoor is a good stadium for us. It will be hard to create a better one. It is in a good location easy to get to, plenty of on road parking. You won't find better anywhere in Torquay, let alone Torbay. I don't look forward to any move away from Plainmoor.
Hear, hear! Well said, Mr Optimist.

Let's stay where we are. I understand revenues are important, but football is about more than just money. As I said earlier, if this means we have to go part time and stay in the NLS for the forseeable future, that's ok with me.

Retaining the heart and soul of a club is the more important than anything else, I believe this can be achieved by staying at Plainmoor.

One other thing........If you read this, Mr Osbourne and Mr Edwards, please NEVER consider installing an artificial pitch. Even the best ones are dreadful.