shaun donnellan

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

shaun donnellan

Post by culmstockgull »

I see that we have finally announced on the official club web site something we have suspected for weeks and confirmed by livingstone that he will be off 1st January on a 2 and half year contract, however reading the statements on livingstone's site indicate that we have let him go early so more than likely we wont see any money.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

If he's under contract then we will receive a fee.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

culmstockgull wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 13:23 I see that we have finally announced on the official club web site something we have suspected for weeks and confirmed by livingstone that he will be off 1st January on a 2 and half year contract, however reading the statements on livingstone's site indicate that we have let him go early so more than likely we wont see any money.
I agree, both the statements on the Torquay site and Livingston site are worded in a way that seems we have agreed to release him and not that it is a transfer.

I rather think this is wages off the books than any financial compensation - hopefully at the very least to free up some space to bring someone else in.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

Firstly, no idea why Livingston are so keen on Donnellan.
Personally didn't think he was good enough this year in the NLS, let alone last year at National League level.
No brainer to release him asap in my opinion.

Secondly, I wonder whether we have let him go now rather than at the end of the season, because we have a replacement lined up and need to free up the wage bill? If so, it would be nice to see a genuine right back brought in, or at least a proper fit-for-purpose centre back to shore up the defence.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Wubble U wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 13:46 Firstly, no idea why Livingston are so keen on Donnellan.
Personally didn't think he was good enough this year in the NLS, let alone last year at National League level.
No brainer to release him asap in my opinion.

Secondly, I wonder whether we have let him go now rather than at the end of the season, because we have a replacement lined up and need to free up the wage bill? If so, it would be nice to see a genuine right back brought in, or at least a proper fit-for-purpose centre back to shore up the defence.
I'd have thought a new midfielder was on the cards if anything.
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

At least he can say that he played Premier League football in his career - if only for one season, as seems likely.
Skillsy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Skillsy »

Thanks Sean for all your efforts with us.
Total commitment in every game and I believe he has always been an under-rated player
Good luck for the rest of your career!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

culmstockgull wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 13:23 I see that we have finally announced on the official club web site something we have suspected for weeks and confirmed by livingstone that he will be off 1st January on a 2 and half year contract, however reading the statements on livingstone's site indicate that we have let him go early so more than likely we wont see any money.
I didn't read it that way. He was free to sign a pre-contract agreement from November, meaning that upon the expiry of his Torquay contract, he'd go straight there, for no fee. If we've agreed to let him go early, for me there's an implication that one of the reasons for that is that we'll receive some sort of payment. I don't think we'll ever actually be told, but it's not unreasonable to expect us to ask for some form of compensation for a player leaving before his contract ends.

(Of course, it's also possible that we couldn't wait to get rid of him and can't believe our luck that he's going, )
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

happytorq wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 14:55 I didn't read it that way. He was free to sign a pre-contract agreement from November, meaning that upon the expiry of his Torquay contract, he'd go straight there, for no fee. If we've agreed to let him go early, for me there's an implication that one of the reasons for that is that we'll receive some sort of payment. I don't think we'll ever actually be told, but it's not unreasonable to expect us to ask for some form of compensation for a player leaving before his contract ends.

(Of course, it's also possible that we couldn't wait to get rid of him and can't believe our luck that he's going, )
I don't think its that we can't wait to get rid of him, but if a player is not committed to the long term and has a move pre-arranged so immediate commitment to cause is not guaranteed then moving him on might be the right thing to do to free up some wage budget (hopefully to reinvest). Releases from both clubs seem to indicate its an agreed early release.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Differing viewpoints, I maintain the club have let him go without a fee rather than fight to keep him with an extended contract, although that is something we have done in the past when it has suited us, good luck to him, I still say he was the most reliablle full back we have in the squad and it is not even his preferred position.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

https://livingstonfc.co.uk/welcome-shaun-donnellan/

Interesying post taken from their Website.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Shows the quality of the SPL when a team is signing a player from TUFC tbh
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Average gate at Livingston is 3250 excluding Celtic and Rangers Matches when it is 8,000.

So quite a small Club.
UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

No loss in my opinion, we've looked better without him

rather the wages went to an out an out right back or an additional striker
Hereford Gull66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by Hereford Gull66 »

A few observations:
If a player / representative wants out it will happen, these days the power lies with the player
Why would we stand in the way of Shaun leaving, not a key player, it enhances our reputation for players joining in future.
We know if a player does not buy in to GJ methods or is not committed, he is out for a least a period of time or all together.
Why would we as disclose any fee if we have somebody else on our radar the price will go up.
Given the player has not been playing, apparently be agreement, it is likely any fee would take that in to account.

Mix these up and we will have an undisclosed fee and wages available for January signings/loans.