Torquay United v Hemel Hempstead Sat 16 Dec 3PM KO

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Midlandgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: O'Kane
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Midlandgull »

Was it a 2nd yellow or a straight red do you know? Think if its 2x yellows then 1 game suspension. But if straight red a 3 game suspension isn't it?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Midlandgull wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 17:08 Was it a 2nd yellow or a straight red do you know? Think if its 2x yellows then 1 game suspension. But if straight red a 3 game suspension isn't it?
2 yellows
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Gull in black
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Gull in black »

Would be interesting to see the video (with audio). How much time elapsed between the whistle and Brett kicking the ball (?)
Shame one of the better refs (v low standard) based on previous appearances. You know the ref has lost the plot when he reprimands a ball boy … in NLS !
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Shame these teams raise their game so much when they play us ! They were pretty decent. The no 7 in midfield was useful. Slightly fortunate to get the points but a good effort from our young team, looks like we have some decent players now with the likes of Archer, Williams, Jenkins-Davies, Harris etc. bit of pace and zip about them
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Thought his second yellow was for a foul, not kicking the ball away?
Not sure why he reprimanded the ball boy, he was kicking the ball back straight away.
Was also expecting our player to get booked near the end, not theirs for diving.

A poor game between two poor sides, we missed Stobbs and Lapslie badly. Add Hall, Dawson and Sean to that and we are putting out a scratch side.

What has happened to Sean, as per normal, zero information.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

Taelee73 wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 18:32 A poor game between two poor sides...
If one of those sides is 2nd in the table with 4 consecutive wins what does that make the league leaders with a lost, two draws and a win in their last 4 games? A poorer side? Just asking because if the answer is yes we are bang on to win this league. .
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Taelee73 wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 18:32 Thought his second yellow was for a foul, not kicking the ball away?
Not sure why he reprimanded the ball boy, he was kicking the ball back straight away.
Was also expecting our player to get booked near the end, not theirs for diving.

A poor game between two poor sides, we missed Stobbs and Lapslie badly. Add Hall, Dawson and Sean to that and we are putting out a scratch side.

What has happened to Sean, as per normal, zero information.
Funny how fans see things different....
The above post from Desperado said they were OK.....
Anyway dont know what there is to moan about tbh with 4 wins from the last 5 games.............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

Yet another week of a patched up starting eleven, six starters missing and still we stole the points, the way we started we could have been four down within 25 minutes, Halstead probably had the worst first 45 that I have seen since he arrvied, marshall at rightback with Hanson ahead of him was obviously forced on us but could only be enjoyed if you are a fan of disaster movies,.
Donnellan according to downes is fit but not being selected which either means a discipline issue or as suggested by others he is on his way come the new year which is a shame becuase he is the only reliable right back we have.
Tuesdays starting eleven should be intersting.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote: 14 Dec 2023, 18:55
if the thought process of the team also isn't right the result will not follow.
Decided to quote this part of my original post because I think it's relevant to my post match opinion. I attended this game with some friends in respect of a TUFC fan who'd passed away last week, whilst we weren't particular friends we knew him well, as a further mark of respect we sat in and around his favourite family stand seat, so a different view point for me today.

Well it was very clear from the off our players thought process was NOWHERE near where it should be and the performance level in this game way , way off where it should be, to describe us as ok today is high praise indeed.

Had a clear view of the penalty incident and not sure why there were any complaints from our players, no one who had the same perfect view of it that I did, in the family stand complained a clear penalty, and poor defending from a set piece soon after and we're in no time we're 0.2 down , playing part time opponents retain possession, put together good passing sequences make them chase the ball wear them down, for the first 30 minutes this game our team could barely string more 2-3 passes together, some individual players body language just didn't look right at all.

However I said to a friend who agreed, the Hemel keeper looked erratic at best , punching and distribution all over the place although didmake some good saves, Hemel also looked very vulnerable at the back, all of us amongst the group I sat with felt there was enough quality in our team to fashion enough chances to get back into the game against a creaky Hemel back line.

Getting a goal back so soon after going 2 down was of course every important had it remained 0.2 for an extended period the crowd would have turned toxic, instead the atmosphere in the ground improved as did the TUFC performance in the first half and the second soon followed.

The second half showed what is for me a real concern going forward in a game that really could have gone either way, this was only my 3rd game of the season and I'd seen lots of reports of inconsistency in our performance levels, well I it saw first hand today, performed in fits and starts in the first half, totally dominated for 25 minute period midway through the second half with out scoring despite carrying a real threat, but then as we entered the closing 15 minutes it all went flat again, with Hemel now having the best of it, if not a couple of decent saves from Halstead could have gone into added on time in front themselves.

As a group we sat there in hope of one last chance, or maybe catch a break and nick the win, and that's what happened, this was every bit a great result, if NOT entirely deserved, Hemel will feel they did enough for a point , many will not disagree with that, however, a win is and win and we'll take it all day long.

Currently we're in a run of games you'd expect to us do well from, and the team is doing just that, however at some point we will get back to playing the top 7 who we already have a poor record against so far, whilst every game has a different set of circumstances, our team will have perform a whole lot better than that, with greater consistency to improve on our previous set of results against the better teams in this division
Formerly known as forevertufc
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by portugull »

Well today was a good example of why we love Football and Torquay United.
Some shocking play by us but wonderful character and determination to come back from 0-2 down in 12 minutes and win 3=2 in the 89th minute from Deano who smashed the ball home when a draw was looking on the cards.
We have now taken 12 points from the last 5 League games scoring 12 goals in the last 4 League games.
Without Jarvis, Dawson, Hall and Lapslie and now Brad Ash for todays game we are missing a lot of key players but the team spirit is fantastic to see.
Marshall came off injured in the second half and is unlikely to play on Tuesday at Taunton.
Halstead made at least 3 very good saves but it was Theo Williams and Archer who made us look more dangerous in attack.
We just about deserved it today but what is very interesting is that since we beat Yeovil 2-1 in the F A Trophy they have taken just 9 points from a possible 18 with only 2 wins from 6 games.
We are 2nd now just 7 points behind Yeovil and Yeovil have played a lot of their 22 games at Home I think 13 Home and 9 Away. Need to check that stat.
Hanson who has had a very difficult time at Plainmoor scored a decent goal and worked hard today.
Taunton lost 3-0 at Havent so Tuesday evening should be an interesting contest but it anyones guess what our starting 11 will be.
Well done the lads. COYY
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

I don't see how anyone can say that was a poor game, must be watching too much Premier League stuff which is almost like a different sport these days.
Highly entertaining , enthralling fast paced open game full of incident between two very committed teams.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack

Post by Taelee73 »

Say it as I saw it, we didn't play much effective football today.

First 14 minutes were abysmal, we were terrible and it's a could job we got a goal back when we did.

We played a lot of hoof ball and I thought the two up front were ineffective and gave the ball away.

Feel it was our spirit that won us that game, and the evident fatigue in our opponents, especially second half. I do also feel our first choice 11 is as good as any other in the league, but we rarely get to play it.

I said here or on the Facebook site a few weeks ago after some were saying we couldn't catch Yeovil, that they'd have a bad patch like all sides do. I said it would last 4 to 6 games. If it carries on beyond that I'm happy I've been proved wrong.

Yeovil were the best side in the league, if they've lost form then our first 11 is better.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Donellan is rumoured to be signing for a Scottish side in January. Gentlemans agreement that we dont play him until then - seems pathetic to me as we are paying his wages.
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

UnitedinDevon
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by UnitedinDevon »

Delighted to get 3pts and to win when being 0-2 down is testiment to the character of the team

I agree with a lot of people in terms of the overall performance but i think it was just a few players not being indiviually on it today

Im a huge Halstead fan and he made 2 big saves to get us the 3pts but he was at sea for the penalty and coming for a corner he was never going to get too, his kicking was off too, Collins frustrated throughout the match with his touch

I for one wont be sad to lose Donellan, hes poor and i've think we've been better without him but for christ sake announce the intention and reinvest the wages now!

I would imagine Marshall is a big doubt for Tuesday and McGavin will also be out Saturday

We still have 2 loanee spots and can see this injury list biting us at some point in dropped points