Torquay United v Yeovil Town, Tues 7th Nov, 7:45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Look we only lost 3-1 so we must take the positives.

We had a great win on Saturday and Yeovil should be in the premier league really they were so good.

Like SG we have to keep the winning mentality going.
GULL 67
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by GULL 67 »

Sadly I am really not enjoying going. The boy and me have been going to all the home games and some away for years. It's never been real class but always able to have a laugh on the way home. Not anymore, tonight we were outclassed by an organised but not brilliant side and the drive home was in silence. Before the game tonight I had a feeling of hopelessness and doom that we have a team that are just not good enough. In the sixth tier. I just don't think that a number of the side are good enough and I hate to pick on one player, but tonight poor Bradley looked well out of his depth. He needs to farmed out to gain some confidence as tonight would have knocked any he had for six. Even our most accomplished player just hoofed it forward tonight. Bread and butter for the Yeovil defence.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Just seen the score. Not the result any of us wanted but with a side missing a few key players is it the end of the world ?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
DB57
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jimmy Dunne

Post by DB57 »

In Gary we trust - just ask SG, he will tell you why ...., because he got us promoted out of this league and got us to the play off final.
But he has actually achieved nothing for us has he?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Just got home after another object lesson from the opposition on how to play football. Fortunately, despite their heavyweight forward power, lax finishing let us off with only a mini-thrashing. But really, although we had 8 attempts, 3 on target and the one goal we were just not at the races. Apart from the one flash of class - the finish by McGavin - we were generally awful. The worst culprits were Ash and Collins who, the harder they tried, the worse they got. The only players to come out of it with any real credit were Donnellan, Da Silva and possibly Hall. Forget any talk of promotion via the playoffs - with the lack of structure, belief and talent, mid-table mediocrity is all we can expect.
Phil

Another marathon beckons!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You didnt see the performance - we were totally inept. It was embarassing it was that bad. We will get nowhere near the play offs.
bobbytanz1963
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by bobbytanz1963 »

Poor performance tonight, plenty for me to ponder on the 80 mile drive home !

Yeovil were well drilled played it simple, retained possession, and then seized opportunities whilst TUFC were without structure, played the long ball (blind panic ball more like) and looked out of their depth and a bunch of strangers at times !

Just look at the options Yeovil had up front, replace Murphy with Hyde, whilst we have nothing on the bench, no striker no Centre half, a new signing from a club two leagues below us !!! It’s a bloody shambles !!!!

So what will change ….. nothing as GJ will claim the squad is good enough, his brother the chief scout will bring on board no one of any substance or quality. It’s embarrassing to see the plight of my club the one I have followed for over 50 years.

A fresh pair of eyes is needed or a complete overhaul of the squad but I guess I can but dream !
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

If his squad is good enough, why was his first excuse that we have 5 players out? We are missing key players yes, but how often does any side have a fully fit squad? It’s about building a squad and the right mentality/style, not just a strong XI (who still aren’t very good).
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

standupsitdown wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 22:33 Well beaten by a better team.
Might have been different if Ash and Marshall hadn't missed good chances, of if Halstead had been fit but I think Yeovil will win this league by a mile.
I'd settle for second and two home play off games for promotion. We really ought to achieve that when you look at the teams above us. We will if we play as we did against Bath but we have to stop losing to the likes of Weston & Hampton.
Obviously a change of manager is needed but that's not going to happen.
The comment about Halstead being fit does Lovett a disservice. I thought he had a decent game and one of the few players who came out with any credit - he made some good saves and blocks 1v1s, and it looked like there was not much he could have done with any of the goals.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Well that was utterly depressing seeing how far off we are a team that will win this league in a canter. Even with Jarvis. Lapslie ( has he ever been totally fit since he signed for us ?)
and Dolan we wouldn't have got near them.
They keep possession with decent passing and movement and know exactly what they are doing with a proper team understanding whilst we make it up as we go along.
One good strike and a couple of decent passes now and again is not enough from McGavin, he strolls around like it's a low key training session, no impact or end product from Collins,
Stobbs and Ash. Williams must wonder what sort of team has he come to, didn't have a decent ball all night.
Got to hope in next few months the team is properly strengthened and we make and can get through the play offs but 2nd seems a pipedream, Aveley are 7 points clear of us for God's sake.
Admiral
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Admiral »

We’re surely in a far worse position now than when Owers was sacked. Just looking at the squad from his last game in charge says it all.

Alex Bass; 2 Ben Wynter, 4 George Essuman, 17 Kyle Cameron, 3 Liam Davis; 21 Opi Edwards (10 Jason Banton 70), 8 Asa Hall (capt), 20 Chris Regis, 18 Jake Andrews; 7 Ruairi Keating (9 Brett Williams 56), 19 Jamie Reid (12 Andre Wright 85). Substitutes (not used): 11 Bobson Bawling, 13 Shaun MacDonald.
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

4 away games in the league next up. Fully optimistic 9 points wouldn't be impossible and would be much needed. 4 points from these games and we'll be slipping further down into mid table and away from the hope of a play off position
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Overall that was a chastening defeat. Yeovil are a completely different level to us, and we were lucky it was only 3-1. They carved us open with ease defensively and bar some poor finishing and good saves from Lovett, it would have been more. After half time at 2-0 they took their foot off the gas, as soon as we pulled one back they stepped it up and restored the lead and then were comfortable seeing out the win.

Yeovil were winning all the second balls, and they wanted it more as well as being a better team. We broke from their corner in the 2nd half and it was 3v2, and every one of their players sprinted back to stop our attack. When Yeovil attacked, most of our players ambled back, and that is a problem. Yeovil had too much time and space in our half without being closed down, which cost us the second goal.

Lovett - played well, made some good saves and not much he could have done on the goals
Donnellan - another who had a decent game in my opinion. I joked to my friend he was our best player defensively and going forward, which probably explains a lot about the rest of the performance.
Marshall/Tomlinson - no glaring mistakes, but just could not handle Yeovil
Moxey - been a great servant, but doesn't have the legs to play left back
McGavin - scored another great goal, but offered little else
Dolan - shame he went off injured early on
Stobbs - few good crosses second half but other than that did not do much
Collins - what does he offer? What position does he actually play?
Ash - he looks shot of confidence. We have taken a striker who scored 20+ goals in this league in a bottom half team and somehow made him terrible in the space of 15 games. Pointless playing him on the left wing.
Williams - felt sorry for him, the only service he got all night were long balls
Hanson - did okay
Hall - looked unfit and showed his age
De Silva - few glimpses of attacking threat for the 15 mins he got

Even if we do somehow manage to get promoted through the playoffs, what is the plan next season? This team would get beat week in week out in the National League.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Get real - it’s relegation we should be concerned about not promotion.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Hadn't realised the next 4 league matches are away. At least we've got a month off from watching this rubbish. Certainly won't be wasting 10 quid on the FA Trophy Yeovil game.