Torquay United v Yeovil Town, Tues 7th Nov, 7:45pm

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

After saturday's positive I was hoping for a fighting draw, But yeovil showed why they are top, they passed through us, over us, and round us as if this was a training ground warm up, twice I counted our players to ensure we had the same number on the park as it was that easy for them, we were reasonable for the first five minutes, williams had pace but after two industrial tackles early on from their back line he lost interest in repeating those runs , in any event he got no service other than our training ground A plan of hoof ball. I had a good view of their first goal and any way you looked at it Lovett bottled coming off his line to smother the ball , do I blame him, not much, when nouble is coming at you full tilt its either let him score or spend the night in casualty.
The rest of the game was spent trying to keep the score down to less than a total embarassment, yes ,we scored one but it had no bearing on the game, and from the player who got man of the match for hitting one strike and showing no endeavour, industry and effort for the other 89 minutes. They could have doubled their score and still not broken sweat. De silva made a positive appearance and showed collins and stobbs what a winger is all about. judging by the pain on dolan'ss face as he came off thats the last we will see of him before his loan expires.
Dave thomas in his match report said it better than I , we were outclassed, they were better in every department and almost every position.
Before southamptongull accuses me of negativity you had to be there to see how ineffective we were, the fight from saturday is gone for another season along with any chance of promotion.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

Wolborough wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 08:29 Get real - it’s relegation we should be concerned about not promotion.
We are out of the playoffs on GD and 9 points clear of the relegation zone, I think we will be okay!

We are not a good team, however I think we will probably scrape the playoffs. I don't think we will get promoted unless we somehow pick up form at the end of the season like last year.

Thankfully for us there are plenty of other poor and average teams in this league.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

leetufc wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 06:46 The comment about Halstead being fit does Lovett a disservice. I thought he had a decent game and one of the few players who came out with any credit - he made some good saves and blocks 1v1s, and it looked like there was not much he could have done with any of the goals.
Fair comment. I had intended to say that missing Halstead, Lapslie & Jarvis was significant.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

Having watched last night i can honestly say this is the worst team i have seen at plainmoor and our lowest point.

yeovil were by far superior to us without actually being amazing, this is very very concerning where our club is going, at this rate southern prem or out of buisness completly. the attendance for such a game highlighted lack of interest.

i have to highlight what some have said what does collins actually offer/do, he cant beat a player, score or attack, on saturday da silva needs to replace him.

we have nothing going forward and no one to score goals, the signing last night is another strange one, will he play? unlikely, used like joe felix probably.

we are in serious serious trouble.

bottom of the league saturday i fully expect to lose
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Hard game to watch last night, we were outplayed for most parts of the game, from front to back.

Back to our lowest point in our history.

18 games played in all competitions - 9 defeats.
Not the start our Budget demands.

GJ quote -“ I will only bring in players that will improve the squad”

So I guess, with the loan players we are bringing in, we are becoming a better side.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by standupsitdown »

kevgull wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 09:37
GJ quote -“ I will only bring in players that will improve the squad”

So I guess, with the loan players we are bringing in, we are becoming a better side.
They have shown signs of being improvements but only if we play to their strengths.
Long ball isn't the way to do it.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

You thought Lovett had a good game? Blimey he was slow coming off his line for the first one, and hes got to save the third one - it was straight at him.

That said I dont blame him for the defeat - we would have lost whatever.
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

standupsitdown wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 10:13 They have shown signs of being improvements but only if we play to their strengths.
Long ball isn't the way to do it.
Echo this statement. We look better when we actually get the ball down and play. We now have two striking options in Williams and Ash, neither of whom have the attributes to hold up play from long ball. Even with Jarvis in the team it hasn't worked
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular

Post by leetufc »

brucie wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 10:26 You thought Lovett had a good game? Blimey he was slow coming off his line for the first one, and hes got to save the third one - it was straight at him.

That said I dont blame him for the defeat - we would have lost whatever.
He made 3-4 good saves and stops, two in the second half that looked like certain goals - the shot from 10 yards out and the one on one. I was down the other end for the first but had a clear view of the third - it was a free header from 6 yards out. It was right at him but he had no time to react
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

Here's the latest prediction league update… Last game vs Yeovil 1-3 LOSS

Username ----------------- Prediction (point scoring only) ----------------- Overall Points
Incredigull ----------------- 1-3 ----------------- 24
RodneyJacksRightFoot ----------------- 0-2 ----------------- 24
Gullsandbeyond121 ----------------- ----------------- 20
portugull ----------------- 1-2 ----------------- 19
DerekDawkinsJnr ----------------- ----------------- 18
zebgull ----------------- ----------------- 15
Cheddargull ----------------- 0-2 ----------------- 14
Chelston TUFC ----------------- 1-4 ----------------- 14
Dave ----------------- 1-3 ----------------- 14
SuperNickyWroe ----------------- ----------------- 14
Swindon gull ----------------- 1-3 ----------------- 14
UnitedinDevon ----------------- ----------------- 13
North Curry House ----------------- 0-4 ----------------- 12
Eirik ----------------- ----------------- 11
Louis ----------------- 0-1 ----------------- 11
notnow ----------------- ----------------- 11
Hereford Gull66 ----------------- 1-3 ----------------- 10
leetufc ----------------- 0-3 ----------------- 10
Brewers boy ----------------- ----------------- 9
Dave_Pougher ----------------- ----------------- 9
happytorq ----------------- ----------------- 9
Midlandgull ----------------- 1-2 ----------------- 9
Minneapolisgull ----------------- ----------------- 9
Mr Tea808 ----------------- ----------------- 9
Dgulls ----------------- ----------------- 8
gullsgullsgulls ----------------- 1-4 ----------------- 8
Hornblower ----------------- ----------------- 8
Hot Rod ----------------- ----------------- 8
MellowYellow ----------------- ----------------- 8
budegull1954 ----------------- 1-2 ----------------- 7
Cruisinho ----------------- 0-2 ----------------- 7
Rio Doherty ----------------- 1-3 ----------------- 7
Southampton Gull ----------------- ----------------- 7
tufcyellowarmy ----------------- ----------------- 7
United62 ----------------- 0-3 ----------------- 7
Sesimbra ----------------- ----------------- 6
Taelee73 ----------------- 1-4 ----------------- 6
ShropGull ----------------- ----------------- 5
AdrianC ----------------- ----------------- 4
Brucie ----------------- ----------------- 4
Danglebert ----------------- ----------------- 4
Oil Beef Hooked ----------------- ----------------- 4
Skillsy ----------------- ----------------- 4
The deluder ----------------- 0-2 ----------------- 4
torregull ----------------- ----------------- 4
Admiral ----------------- ----------------- 3
Brixham63 ----------------- 1-2 ----------------- 3
culmstockgull ----------------- ----------------- 3
teddiebear ----------------- ----------------- 3
Willhtq ----------------- ----------------- 3
Nick Potkins ----------------- ----------------- 2
Stickingitin ----------------- ----------------- 2
dawlishmatt ----------------- ----------------- 1
Jamestee67 ----------------- ----------------- 1
Kingsgull83 ----------------- ----------------- 1
Rivieratouch ----------------- ----------------- 1
SDYellow ----------------- ----------------- 1
theyellowfromexeter ----------------- ----------------- 1
Wolborough ----------------- ----------------- 1
Vick ----------------- 1-4 ----------------- 1
aggrey_25 ----------------- 0-6 ----------------- 1
DevonBee ----------------- ----------------- 0
Forest gull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Knightmaregull ----------------- ----------------- 0
markypoos77 ----------------- ----------------- 0
numpte ----------------- ----------------- 0
Paignton Gull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Saints1908 ----------------- ----------------- 0
SWgull ----------------- ----------------- 0
Wubble U ----------------- ----------------- 0
⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

⚽️ Prediction League 23/24 - TUFC merch prizes for grabs
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

Gloomy Gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Gloomy Gull »

Poor performance (and I use that word reservedly as there was no evidence of performing) last night.

Yeovil tore us a new one with ease. Interesting that during a stop in play the Yeovil bench called their players over for, I assume, a tactics update whilst Johnson didn't see the need for that as we were only 2-0 down at the time. Or maybe he had no alternative tactics to draw on, from his wealth of experience!, to try to change the trajectory of the game.

What baffles me is that we have 10 recognised midfielders on the books, 1 (Dawson) on permanent injury list, 1 (Lapslie) out last night, 1 (Dolan) withdrawn with injury last night and 1 (Donnelan) out of position leaving 6 as a minimum. WHY do we never have a fit for purpose midfield on the pitch ???? Is it because we persist with hoofball rendering the need for a midfield obsolete? If we cannot fashion a functioning midfield perhaps Johnson should explore a 5/5 formation - 5 defenders and 5 attackers dispatching the need for a midfield.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Summed up perfectly Yeovil fan in point 2
though think you are a bit hard on your own team. You will win this league easily.
Mr Tea808
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Mr Tea808 »

I wasn't at the game due to family commitments, but injuries played a part in the outcome, any team in NLS would miss a fit Jarvis and Lapslie, the club would've of known about Dawson and the operation, so they should of dealt with that, that's no excuse to use, we bring in Dolan who then gets crocked, GJ definitely out of luck last night.... someone made a superb point, individually we look good, but we don't play as a team or know a system/formation that really works, like I said about a month ago, when you enter the ground you never really know what you're going to get, very hit and miss, Stobbs and Collins have played higher than this level but both flatter to deceive and I'm not entirely sure about them both, Hall when I've seen him in the past few weeks stil dosen't look fit, either that or he's bulked up, Moxey is still a good player but we're having to over play him constantly, to much for his legs....one thing I would say, it's a basic, we need shooting practice or drills on the training ground, the number of shots I've seen in the last 4 home games going miles over the bar, we need to iron this out, This season feels a bit like last season with no settled XI that you know will deliver the goods, injuries and suspensions taking their toll, and no real style of play, I could go on but I'll only depress myself...
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gloomy Gull wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 12:02 Poor performance (and I use that word reservedly as there was no evidence of performing) last night.
What baffles me is that we have 10 recognised midfielders on the books, 1 (Dawson) on permanent injury list, 1 (Lapslie) out last night, 1 (Dolan) withdrawn with injury last night and 1 (Donnelan) out of position leaving 6 as a minimum. WHY do we never have a fit for purpose midfield on the pitch ???? Is it because we persist with hoofball rendering the need for a midfield obsolete? If we cannot fashion a functioning midfield perhaps Johnson should explore a 5/5 formation - 5 defenders and 5 attackers dispatching the need for a midfield.
'10 midfielders' seems like an exaggeration but when I listed them all, you were right;

Hall - towards the end of his career, would be good if he could play for a full 90, though.
Lapslie - can't seem to play more than 2 uninterrupted games
Dawson - permacrocked. A shame - he was very good last season
Dolan - promising start with us, then (of course) gets injured. Hard to say if last night's results would have been the same had he stayed.
Donnellan - Mr Flexible; plays anywhere he's asked to and is a fairly consistent 6/10. Probably been one of our better players this season
McGavin - thought he'd never play for us again, but he seems to have been rehabilitated. If played correctly he can be good. Still lacks any sort of pace or 'bite'
Hanson - surely wouldn't still be here if he wasn't under contract for 2 years. came on last night, and was...ok.
Stobbs - What happened to him? good last season, practically anonymous this. Saw a few simple passes last night going astray, leading to a counter.
Collins - Copy and paste what I said about Stobbs
Da Silva - useless. honestly, I don't get the point of him. Runs around and looks busy, but I don't think I've ever seen a decent cross. I was livid last night when he came on instead of the new signing.

Ash and Williams seemed to be nowhere last night, even though Ash should have scored. Problem with a confidence player is that he turns to pieces when that confidence goes away. Need Jarvis back asap.

If we can clear up injuries there's no reason we can't have a very good second half of the season. Problem with that is that we'll be 18 points behind Yeovil by then. We're playing for the playoffs -were we to finish in that top 7 I'd be confident we could do it, but we must improve. We're miles better when we actually play the ball, especially in midfield, but we're still laughable in defence and our striking corps isn't scoring.

Also - I love Dean Moxey but most teams, even at this level, will have players who can just run past him. Where's Dan Martin? It seems like we're playing 4 at the back now and if Martin was available I'd have him at LB with Moxey as the second centre-half with Tomlinson (who has been pretty good). We also - somehow - don't have a functioning right back, either. Donnellan is doing his best but its not his position. How can we plan to have a 4-man defensive line and only have one player comfortable there?!
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.