Hampton + Richmond v Torquay United Sat 28/10/23 3PM

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I am not sure any premier league manager could have conjured a win for us today considering what we had on the park, listening to a very dubious commentary it seemed just like tuesday where we could pass amongt ourselves but as soon as we crossed the halfway line the alarm bells went off and panic mode set in.This lad from fleetwood seems to be an acquisition unless he gets fed up with what he has around him and ask gary junior to recall him before we ruin any chances of him being a pro footballer.
We have all known that this squad was not up to much but Johnson wanted to prove us wrong, if it takes this long to acquire one decent loan then god help us, because it will be next march until he brings the required players to drag us out of a releagtion fight. Marshall may have a career in him but it is not in football.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

desperado wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 18:29 Surely Torquay must have the second best budget in this league but teams such as Weston super Mare are beating us with better team play , coaching and a winning mentality and confidence that we don't have.
Big Sam,(Allardyce) summed up the gist of manager research best: “Where you finish in the league depends on the money you’ve spent. It’s a statistical fact.”

He obviously did not research Torquay United in making that statement.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Afraid two points off the play offs in this league is not good enough.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 18:16 Dawson was a gamble most people were happy with until it became a weapon to beat GJ
Did anyone whatsoever know he needed surgery and would miss at least the first three months of the season? He played well at the end of last season, but had we known he needed a surgery I doubt anyone would have thought it a good gamble.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

desperado wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 18:35 Afraid two points off the play offs in this league is not good enough.
At the end of the season I would totally agree but a third of the way through while struggling with injuries I'm not ready to give in just yet.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

As someone else said on the thread, Johnson had some credit in the bank with me for the last promotion and the near promotion back to the league. Last season was poor but again, I was willing to give a chance this season.

However we are a poor team, the recruitment has been terrible, the tactics and performances are awful and Johnson just spouts the same nonsense week in week out.

I don't think anything will change though, GJ will probably still be here in another 5 years time
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Gullsandbeyond121 »

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 18:16 I didn't mention the players and I have no idea how much they're being paid, neither does anyone else on here. Dawson was a gamble most people were happy with until it became a weapon to beat GJ with.McGavin has shown some potential this season and others you mention would normally be replaced by loan players and become squad fillers but that isn't happening and it has everything to do with financial backing or the lack of it. Despite all the hysteria we're 2 points off the play offs.
Mc Gavin has shown some potential, you clearly have not seen him play. He has played 50 games for us and been acceptable in 2 of them.

2points off the play offs. So everything is ok then ! :lol:
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

I made an unforgiveable error referring to Dobson when I meant Dawson. Must have been thinking of Kojak and Kevin Dobson, who played Crocker.

Mind you, he'd probably make a better fist of playing football than some of the dross masquerading as footballers in yellow and blue!!
rivieratouch
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by rivieratouch »

Halstead out for a while now too. Suffered concussion today, not sure how long that means though
JimNichol'sdog
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by JimNichol'sdog »

If the protocols are similar to rugby, I imagine he won't be available next Saturday.

I'm not sure of the procedures after a week's 'rest'.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Gullsandbeyond121 wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 18:52 Mc Gavin has shown some potential, you clearly have not seen him play. He has played 50 games for us and been acceptable in 2 of them.

2points off the play offs. So everything is ok then ! :lol:
You clearly missed the bit where I said he's shown some potential 'this season'.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Oct 2023, 18:59 You clearly missed the bit where I said he's shown some potential 'this season'.
The 2 games have been this season granted, however like many others he is not good enough
Have you seen him play live ?
leetufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by leetufc »

McGavin shows flashes of ability, but he is too lightweight and is a luxury player. If we were playing well and he had two midfielders with legs either side of him, he would probably be good
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

With the first 11 today, who really expected anything?

Jarvis and Lapslie have been our two most consistent and better players. With Dawson out as well, we were 3 short of our first choice 11.

I'd say Halstead, Moxey, Dawson, Jarvis and Lapslie are our only professional players that look the professional players. Stobbs is so hit and miss. We've always been able to loan in (eventually) one or two more who fit that category sooner or later.

GJ then molds them and lifts the dross/average into a decent hard working team. The team today had Halstead and Moxey (who must have been less than 100% after playing Tuesday) from the 5 decent players we have. We were never getting anything from this match, I predicted 3-0.

Who to blame? GJ, his scout or the owner? All three I assume. Certainly GJ takes chances on cheaper and injury prone but decent players. The knowledge of younger, experienced or available players seems non existent. I guess this falls at his brothers feet. The owner, who knows the budget or what's left.

GJ and Downsie set the formations etc, I don't understand the lack of set plays we have. Simply lumping it into the mix is about it. We have no pace, again those older experienced, injury prone players simply aren't equipped for that. Another gamble by GJ, his intention to have Stobbs, Desilva and to a degree Dawson to compensate for this.

Again, there's no point in saying GJ out if you can't say who you want in. No point in saying let the board decide, according to you they're just as complicit in things and yet you're trusting them to get in someone better!

Name some names, not Moxey, not Tisdale, not Barton, not Warnock. Who actually is there that will want to manage NLS Torquay knowing there's no money to bring anyone in? Who is out of work that has contacts that can bring in quality players?

I'm really happy if someone can come in and do better, before it's too late, but who?
Gullsandbeyond121
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

In central midfield we cannot afford a lightweight , slow, luxury player who has no bottle and cannot tackle just my opinion.
We need leaders, Dawson is a leader as was proven in the relegation fight.
The likes of Mc Gavin and Marshall were benched for the relegation fight last season, Johnson made the correct decision and now they are regulars !
Losers and we need winners.