Torquay Utd v Weston super Mare 25/10/23 Ko 19:45

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

I cannot believe people are saying we put the effort in last night, we were second to every ball, we had no pace, first half weston gave us our own half and just sat back and said break us down,we passed sideways mostly backwards and on rare occasions when we tried to pass forwards we gave it to the opposition. what was our strategy because to me it was clear as mud.
Yet again johnsons default position of a back three was a schoolboy error, more so as the bench consisted of a complete back four and nothing else. why wait until the second half to make changes. It is criminal that lapslie gets injured in training, if anyone needed to be rested between matches it is him, he puts in more yards and effort than any three players you can name.
As for additions to the squad the reality is we need five maybe six , exluding, halstead,moxey,lapslie and jarvis the remainder do not warrant a starting slot and the majority are struggling even in this lowly league. We havent had a credible right back since wynter, we havent had a decent centre half since lawrence. What goes through the minds of that comedy duo johnson and johnson when they seek to bring players in, gary johnson said when his brother was appointed head of recruiting he knows where to find good players and how to bring them in. Gary perhaps you can tell us when that is going to start.
aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

if no one is bought in (which is highly likely) we are going to get walloped on Saturday and proves their is zero chance for us moving forward and expect to be in this league or worse for the foreseeable.

we wont fill a bench, we will have crowe back playing and more than likely marshall upfront haha
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by nickbrod »

UnitedinDevon wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 12:13 Have the question the point of this if CO or GJ wont be there

a group of TQ fans discussing the blinding obvious, without the right people there what will it achieve?
Yes, it's a forum for fans to voice their feelings but importantly it's the message a gathering of Torquay fans will send out. So it's important as many turn up as possible.
The bigger the attendance, the bigger the message.
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs

Post by culmstockgull »

Nickbrod, I do not wish to seem negative but what does this TUST meeting hope to achieve assuming as we all believe no one from the club will turn up, it may well allow people to vent and may if run correctly increase memebership by a few., but to what benefit.The club has no time for the TUST and as a result the TUST has no leverage, and this is why the club primarily invented and supported the TUFC supporters club to fragment any opposition. TUST has had many years to come up with a credible plan for our future, but I have heard very little of substance, possible share options for fans but still not near enough to run a football club for six months let alone five years.
Cruisinho
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Cruisinho »

culmstockgull wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 15:07 Nickbrod, I do not wish to seem negative but what does this TUST meeting hope to achieve assuming as we all believe no one from the club will turn up, it may well allow people to vent and may if run correctly increase memebership by a few., but to what benefit.The club has no time for the TUST and as a result the TUST has no leverage, and this is why the club primarily invented and supported the TUFC supporters club to fragment any opposition. TUST has had many years to come up with a credible plan for our future, but I have heard very little of substance, possible share options for fans but still not near enough to run a football club for six months let alone five years.
Hit the nail on the head.

The club is on its knees. But sadly, I really don’t see how the TUST can improve things. Especially if nobody from the club turns up to this forum. It would basically be a members meeting.

The big question is, what can the TUST actually do to improve things at the club right now?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Can't make the trust fans forum, however if the trust was to commit to getting involved in securing the ground so Clarke Osbourne could never get his grubby hands in it, if the trust was to commit to at least getting involved helping to set up a phoenix club should the need arise could see the need to join them for us all, hopefully these topics will come up.

Just to add, what can the trust do to improve things at the club now, well nothing, its the future now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by nickbrod »

Thanks for your interest with your replies. TUST is not claiming we have all the answers but it is currently the only independent, that's independent of the club, body representing our members.
We certainly have no ambition to run the club and if you're interested to learn more about us then look at our FAQs on tust.co.uk. There you will read about a possible phoenix club amongst other options.
As far as the ground is concerned we have an ACV on Plainmoor and we've held meetings with the current and previous regimes running Torbay Council to establish their views which are 'no sale'.
This is the time for all of us to pull together as one, as divided will not be sufficient.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

Must put in a shout for Tomlinson who stands out for me, amid all the dross, and is learning from others' mistakes. He kept a big, experienced striker quiet last night for most of the game and made some timely interceptions. No, he's not the finished article, but probably the best we've got at CB.

Be interesting to see Omar Ali back on loan with all his European experience!!
TUST member 200 ;-)
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

We couldn't even use the plastic pitch excuse last night. Nice 'watered' grass pitch, just what we like - only succeeds in zipping Moxeys overused crossfield diagonal ball to Stobbs out of play.
There is a real lethargic mentality to this team,
no desire or hunger. Just a bunch of losers with a few exceptions. The manager makes such a point in signing the right 'characters'
Well he got that wrong with most of them, because they don't have any.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

A club of our stature!!!???
We don't have one and to think we have is delusional.
We are no better than any of the other teams in our league.
If you thought last season was bad this one is shaping up to be even worse.
Colorado
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Peter Coffill

Post by Colorado »

Perhaps a phoenix club would be better than the current situation. Just a thought. It seems like things couldn't be much worse.
jono_Gull209
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by jono_Gull209 »

torq2u wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 16:44 Must put in a shout for Tomlinson who stands out for me, amid all the dross, and is learning from others' mistakes. He kept a big, experienced striker quiet last night for most of the game and made some timely interceptions. No, he's not the finished article, but probably the best we've got at CB.

Be interesting to see Omar Ali back on loan with all his European experience!!
I think Ollie is best CB we have, but he struggled last night against Reid.
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

torq2u wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 16:44 Must put in a shout for Tomlinson who stands out for me,
I would like to add Donnellan to the list whose been in more positions than I've been with her indoors on a Sat night.
phoenix
Trialist
Trialist

Post by phoenix »

From a supporter of a club and the subsequent "phoenix club" I'd suggest that survival of the club is more important than the league you play in.

We should all be aware that the pool of people actually prepared to invest in a football club is very limited. If I remember correctly one of the current owners of a club currently in the National League South said that the thing that persuaded him to invest was the commitment of the supporters (I'll accept that "commitment" probably wasn't the word,or phrase, used).

No individual supporter may have the financial, or other, clout to change things but the existence of the body of supporters, and their ongoing, collective, 'interest/commitment' may provide the push for someone else to think its worthwhile to try to do so.
Last edited by phoenix on 25 Oct 2023, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

nickbrod wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 16:43 Thanks for your interest with your replies. TUST is not claiming we have all the answers but it is currently the only independent, that's independent of the club, body representing our members.
We certainly have no ambition to run the club and if you're interested to learn more about us then look at our FAQs on tust.co.uk. There you will read about a possible phoenix club amongst other options.
As far as the ground is concerned we have an ACV on Plainmoor and we've held meetings with the current and previous regimes running Torbay Council to establish their views which are 'no sale'.
This is the time for all of us to pull together as one, as divided will not be sufficient.
Thanks for info, will certainly go and have read through 👍
Formerly known as forevertufc